ultraportable or backpack vacs/dust extractors - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sayn3ver
  • 1 Post By sayn3ver

Old 11-09-2017, 05:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 604
View sayn3ver's Photo Album My Photos
Default ultraportable or backpack vacs/dust extractors

Just a thinking out loud discussion.
I've been using my festool ct midi and associated sanders alot over the last year.

There are jobs though that I wish I could cut the size and or the cord for both sander and vacuum.

I really wanted to get the ctl-sys but without the variable suction it kinda missed the mark big time.

I am Considering getting the Makita cordless hepa backpack vac and one of their cordless 5" random orbitals.

I already run Makita for drills/impacts/saws, etc. and have plenty of batteries on hand.

I'm sure the Makita setup will not be refinded as a festool offering but for drywall patches and wall prep being able to run and gun with no cords would be stellar. It would also be nice not having to drag the extractor behind you in tow.

The vac boasts an hour run time on high(it's a true variable speed but does have high and low speeds) and the sander boasts a 40min run time.

Makita also makes a small cord/cordless dust extractor that has stats similar to the CT midi but it's not quite small enough and I would lose the sustainer storage on top of the vac.

I honestly wish festool would have adpoted another main stream cordless battery platform for their cordless tools or would have been consistent in their own battery platform over the years. Since neither is the case I don't think I'd ever buy into their cordless offerings

(unless all of their cordless begin to offer a cord/cordless setup like their new cordless sanders...which with the kit are stupid expensive).

Anyone else have any wishes or wants from the tool manufacturers?
Eagle Cap Painter likes this.

Last edited by sayn3ver; 11-09-2017 at 05:40 PM..
sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

I've actually been looking at a corded Hoover commercial backpack vac. I like you, sometimes it's a pain in the but dragging my extractor all over the place. I can deal with one electric cord if it works well. I'm curious to know how the Mikita cordless compares though.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 586
View Eagle Cap Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Proprietary battery platforms are just the way of the tool world, but I'm personally reluctant to pull the trigger on a cordless Festool because running cordless only makes sense to me with a dust bag rather than the extractor. Since dust extraction is the big advantage Festool has over other brands, it's probably smarter to pick up a sander that's compatible with whatever battery platform you've invested in and a longer hose/cord for your Festools. Unless your battery tools are yellow and black like mine and you've got no options for cordless sanding. It'd be nice if the AC adapter for the Festools wasn't another hundred bucks or whatever so it wasn't just a heavier version of the normal model when plugged into the extractor.

I'd love to know what the mechanical/electrical limitation is that's left sanders absent from cordless tool lineups.

Last edited by Eagle Cap Painter; 11-09-2017 at 07:37 PM..
Eagle Cap Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2017, 10:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 604
View sayn3ver's Photo Album My Photos

I'd say the limitation used to be battery capacity vs size in the past on sanders. I think manufacturers typically still see Sanders being used in the more traditional workshop role which makes cordless unnecessary.

I think when festool first showed up on shores they helped change the idea of what site work was and could be. I feel alot of the other tool makers have embraced that ideal. Tools geared for the shop and tools geared towards those who work in the field.
Or maybe the industry has changed. Or the idea that home owners, construction workers and commercial customers no longer want to tolerate large amounts of air borne dust and that tasks can be done in a cleaner more efficient fashion.

I typically used to buy corded versions of tools I don't use often. However I'm starting to change because convience has been trumping overall longevity. I'm also more likely to use the cordless over hauling out an extension cord. I also from now on will likely have batteries around so why not?

I'm in the Makita platform because of selection and a long history of battery support. Makita hasn't really changed battery platforms all willy like some have. Sure DeWalt and Milwaukee have some items I wish Makita had.

The cordless backpack extractor looks promising for dust capture. It's no shopvac in terms of cfm or suction. If it can eliminate me tripping ass over teacup over cords and hoses for interior work I'd be happy. It looks easier to use on ladders, roofs and scaffolds for exterior work.

Makita sells it for concrete dust for the new silica regs.
Eagle Cap Painter likes this.
sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None