Zip Wall System - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Supplies and Equipment

Old 01-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 508
View TheRogueBristle's Photo Album My Photos
Default Zip Wall System

Hi everyone, I'm in the market for a Zip Wall System and I thought I would ask here to see what people recommend. Honestly, I can't tell from their website the difference between the two poles they seem to be selling. Also, how durable are the zippers? Any insight on this system is greatly appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Poles are great, the zipperd walls ive heard mixed reviews. Most guys substitute drops or plain plastic depending on what they need.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
TheRogueBristle (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000
View Scotiadawg's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogueBristle View Post
Hi everyone, I'm in the market for a Zip Wall System and I thought I would ask here to see what people recommend. Honestly, I can't tell from their website the difference between the two poles they seem to be selling. Also, how durable are the zippers? Any insight on this system is greatly appreciated.
One of the GCs I work with uses the Zip wall a lot and it seems to hold up well and does a good job of isolating the dust in their cut room. He's had his for a couple years and the zipper still works good. The telescoping poles are still in good working order too.
Scotiadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotiadawg For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Laz

Rewards Points: 150
View Laz's Photo Album My Photos

The zip wall system works well. I find it a pain to attach the plastic to the head of the zip wall first. Instead I set them up and don't tighten the spring action all the way. I then go around and pull the head down a little and slide the plastic over. This also helps keep the ceiling from getting smudges on them. The heads tend to get dirty after awhile.

Never have them on the inside of the area you are painting. If paint gets on the shaft that slides back into the pole they are a real pain. If you need to keep plastic from billowing out then just use some tape to hold the plastic to the pole.

I rarely use the zippers. I mostly just overlap the plastic at the area you use to go in. Tape it open then close it up to spray.
Laz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
RH

Rewards Points: 6,018
Thanked 15,449 Times in 8,113 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I really like my system. Haven't used the zippers as I overlap as others have stated. I purchased the 4 pack plus which gives you a good number of items to start out with. The carrying bag is well made and is handy for storing and transporting.

Bill Watterson
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Have 6 poles and the bag. (get the bag) Overlap like the others. Don't use it much but when I need it, its gold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
The Long Island Painter

Rewards Points: 250
View Lee Decorating Corp.'s Photo Album My Photos

We use zip walls all the time for Isolation. We usually place a negative air machine inside the contaiment area and forget the zipper. We just use an overlapping flap of plastic.

#
Lee Decorating Corp. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Decorating Corp. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Laz

The reel bad thing I have found with them is it is easy to brake the heads it you try to take them off to store in the bag or change heads for the bars with the foam on them. I just leave the heads on now and alternate them in the bag so they don't all end up jammed in one end. Then I have a second set that I keep just for the bars with foam.
The Following User Says Thank You to Laz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
Laz

Anyone try the attachment to put the bar and foam on the side wall? Looks like a waste of money to me.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 182
Thanked 8,654 Times in 4,039 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

I still have 10 of the poles. It would have been 12, but two are messed up. One of the best investments I made in equipment.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 508
View TheRogueBristle's Photo Album My Photos

Thank you all for your input, it'll help the learning curve when I finally get these things. Sounds like I won't be sorry if I go for six poles.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Love em

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
RH

Rewards Points: 6,018
Thanked 15,449 Times in 8,113 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz View Post
Anyone try the attachment to put the bar and foam on the side wall? Looks like a waste of money to me.
I've never used them either but they came with the package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRogueBristle View Post
Thank you all for your input, it'll help the learning curve when I finally get these things. Sounds like I won't be sorry if I go for six poles.
Easy system to use. Just practice setting up a booth in your garage before using them on site. I've used them quite a few times for that when spraying oil and they have been great. One of the best investments I've ever made. Think there are two weights of poles available now(?). Get the heavy duty ones.

Bill Watterson
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #14
chief bucket carrier

Rewards Points: 250
View EricTheHandyman's Photo Album My Photos

We use zipwalls a lot during demolition activities to keep our clients homes clean. The inexpensive kit ($135 for 4 poles, accessories, and carry bag) is great. The only drawback is that they only extend to fit a 10' ceiling, so if you work on a lot of homes that have high ceilings, you'll have to get the higher cost poles.

The heads are plastic and do have a tendancy to break, replacements are available. The zippers are so-so. They are a one time use item unless you save the piece of poly that it is attached to, which is a PITA. We usually just overlap to make a door.

EricTheHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EricTheHandyman For This Useful Post:
TheRogueBristle (01-17-2012)

Tags
None