Cigar Talk @ Paint Talk - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Paint Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Old 01-31-2009, 01:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos
Default Cigar Talk @ Paint Talk

I didn't want to steal someones thread so I thought it would be cool to have this

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
Thanks,
I've been wanting to ask for recommendations if I ever conjure up the nerve to walk into Courthouse Cigar Co next time I'm in Dedham (MA).
I know I like I good cigar, but have no idea which is a good cigar - and I'd hate to look like a TOTAL noob in a Cigar Shop.
-Bill
1st of all Bill you can get a great smoke at a better price than Courthouse Cigar Co. Here are some links of some great online cigar stores.

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=home

http://www.mikescigars.com/Home.aspx

I mainly go on JR's because you can get their brand and there like a 1.25 each, some great smokes there. I like this one
Here are some premium cigars I like to smoke
HOYO DE MONTERREY
LA FINCA
PARTAGAS
PUNCH

Here is a chart for you of what the names mean
Name, Length, Ring Gauge
Corona, 5 ½ to 6, 42 to 45
Panatela, 5 ½ to 6 ½, 34 to 38
Lonsdale, 6 to 6 ½, 42 to 44
Churchill, 6 ½ to 7, 46 to 48
Robusto, 4 ½ to 5, 48 to 50
Toro, 6 to 6 ½, 48 to 50
Presidente, 7 to 8 ½, 52 to 60
Torpedo(Cone Shaped Head), 5 ½ to 6 ½, 46 to 52

Here is your ring size (how fat they are)

Last edited by ewingpainting.net; 03-05-2010 at 11:28 AM..
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

MANY THANKS, Gabe !!!!

I may hafta wait til the weather turns. No smoking in the house, let alone a 'gar. And then sit out on the veranda with a single malt and a see-gar pretending I'm Denny Crane, or at least little Jimmy Spader

"Are we having fun yet"

Last edited by daArch; 01-31-2009 at 01:22 AM..
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000
View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

I used to work for an Italian kat @ his modern/contemporary furniture store. He used to take me out for Cigars (Garrs) and coffee (Latte's/Mochas/Espressos) all the time.

I got to try a ton of different kinds out. I grew to love em.

A classic in my book, AND Billy Clinton's is the Macanudos brand Garr. It is "THE" infamous "Lewinsky" after all!!!!!!!!!

that is a true story :thumgsup:
nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 04:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000
View TooledUp's Photo Album My Photos

We can still buy Cuban cigars in the UK. I've had a few cigars over the years but never actually tried a Cuban.
TooledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

I shop JR's myself. They have a big sale going on right now. Seems that Obama's S-Chip program is going to double the price of a cigar. So they are unloading lots of slow movers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
I shop JR's myself. They have a big sale going on right now. Seems that Obama's S-Chip program is going to double the price of a cigar. So they are unloading lots of slow movers.

I saw that, and was wondering, becuse I'm "thrifty" , if these would be a decent smoke or just floor sweepings:

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?pa...tPromo=eWS0905

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
The Lurker

View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

I remener when I was 10 -12 yrs old working for my grandfather and running for coffee and cigars on break (after I finished sweeping of course) I would buy El Producto's in the box, I think it was a white and red box.. cheapest damn things around... He used to smoke his good ones at home after work...

There was aother cheap one that came in a brown box as well... I rmeber having a lot of the boxes to hold junk when I was a kid...

when I did smoke them in my 20's I remeber smoking El Fuente (sp) I know I can say it just not spell it.. Also I have had the Punch's as well

MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:59 AM   #8
PNITEX

Rewards Points: 250
View JAYJAY's Photo Album My Photos

I have 15 mins, nice cup of coffee, and I need a smooth sweet seeeegar, any suggestions ewing?
JAYJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYJAY View Post
I have 15 mins, nice cup of coffee, and I need a smooth sweet seeeegar, any suggestions ewing?
You hve 15 min for what? I don't smoke cigars that have sweeteners or chemicals in them. However I do smoke a cigar that come from Reno Nevada. The guys that own the shop are Cuban. They sit in there shop and roll there smokes. That have one that comes in the Robusto size takes about 45 to 50 min to smoke. The wraper is soake in cognac. great smoke, it leave a sweet flavor on your lips throught the whole smoke. ummmmm
I'l dig up their info and post it.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #10

Quote:
I saw that, and was wondering, becuse I'm "thrifty" , if these would be a decent smoke or just floor sweepings:

This looks like a good smoke I smoke mostly Nicaragua. I might get some of those.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooledUp View Post
We can still buy Cuban cigars in the UK. I've had a few cigars over the years but never actually tried a Cuban.
I have smoke a few Cuban and although they are a great smoke they are not my smoke of choice. Cubans are over rated just because it hard to get them. And most the time when they say there Cuban there not. Go Nicaragua much better smoke for less the buck
Old 01-31-2009, 11:23 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

What are your thoughts on a nice Panama red?
Or purple haze?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #13
Born To Be Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYJAY View Post

The black and sweet fit the bill. These are my throwaway cigars. If I need a quickie smoke or forget to bring my regular cigars with me. ( Not many things worse than only smoking a dollars worth of a five dollar cigar.)

Nice thing is they come in a foil pouch that you can stash behind the seat and they are still good months later.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:58 AM   #14
Born To Be Mild

Quote:

Those are from a small cigar manufacturer. Supposed to be pretty good, but I never had any. Good price.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #15
Born To Be Mild

I'd do these myself. (actually have bought a couple, they just recently added them)

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?pa...&itemcode=BLVC

Old 02-01-2009, 07:12 AM   #16
Born To Be Mild

JR's reason for the big sale.

I'm gonna make it real simple so you folks understand what is on the immediate horizon for cigar smokers: It's called S-CHIP, (State Children's Health Insurance Program) a health insurance plan for children funded entirely by tobacco taxes.
It's a 53% tax that was passed twice last year, and vetoed twice by the President on the basis that you simply can't fund a program that will grow in cost over the years with a tax on a product that is declining in sales, no matter how socially acceptable an idea is. It's one of the few moves that the President made I actually agreed with during the Bush era.

Now, with the Democratic Party in complete control of the Government, this tax is coming. You can bet your last dollar on that.

What does the S-CHIP Tax mean to JR and its customers?

As currently proposed, it would raise the cost of cigars by 53% of the wholesale price with a cap of $3.00 PER CIGAR. The CAA (Cigar Association of America) to whom we contribute heavily, is working night and day to negotiate something lower than the $3.00 cap, but right now THAT IS the proposal.

My best guess is that a cap of $1.00 per cigar will be the eventual number, but I'm the same guy who thought the Embargo with Cuba would have ended about 5 years ago!

Here at JR, we stock over 11,000 different varieties of cigars. Many of these are slow sellers, many are items we carry in boxes of 25, boxes of 10, Cincuenta boxes of 50, sampler packs of five, Decadent Dozen boxes, Barrels of 20, etc. In other words, we carry the exact same cigars in a number of different ways. When this tax comes in, and I firmly believe it will be passed within days of the new President taking office, the floor tax (the tax importers, wholesalers, and retailers will have to pay on their existing cigar inventory) will put many companies at all levels out of business, or force them to sell off half or more of their existing inventory to raise the cash to pay this astronomical tax.

Here at JR we've always hoped for the best, but prepared for the worst, and that's what we're starting to do with this Special Emergency Flyer.

We've isolated a few hundred of our slower movers, or items where we carry the very same cigar in multiple packings of 5, 10, 12, 20, 25, or 50, ... or cigars that are just so damned expensive that we don't think consumers can pay any more than they already do, and we're dumping them to reduce our inventory and raise the potential tax money we will have to come up with.

The items in this flyer are all first class merchandise. Most have been selected simply because of duplications in our inventory. This is no reflection of decreased interest on the part of the cigar smoking public for any brand or any company, nor is it a "fire sale" because a brand is not selling. It's just a reduction in duplicate inventories AT OR BELOW WHOLESALE.

I know that all of our customers will save money on every item in this flyer. I also know that in comparison to the prices that will prevail once this S-CHIP initiative becomes law, the savings on everything you buy now will be staggering.

Frankly, our company is going to take a beating for the time being, and I apologize in advance to our suppliers who may feel like we are targeting their brand or brands in this sale, but we are not targeting anyone. We're just taking a preliminary step to insure our continued viability in a market that will become increasingly more difficult in the very near future.

When the S-CHIP initiative goes into effect, all deals and prices in this catalog will expire. In such an event, you will need to visit our website at JRCIGARS.COM for current pricing or consult with on of our operators at 800-JR-CIGAR.
On the following pages you will find the first wave of discontinued items.
S-CHIP closeout offers cannot be combined with any other offer.

The Government's S-Chip Tax Initiative will bring us BIGGER TAXES.
In preparation, we are bringing you BIGGER SAVINGS!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #17
PNITEX

Rewards Points: 250
View JAYJAY's Photo Album My Photos

[quote=bikerboy;54795]The black and sweet fit the bill. These are my throwaway cigars. If I need a quickie smoke or forget to bring my regular cigars with me. ( Not many things worse than only smoking a dollars worth of a five dollar cigar.)

Nice thing is they come in a foil pouch that you can stash behind the seat and they are still good months
later.

Good ones to bring up, I often take them ice fishing and come to think of it they are about a 14-16min cigar!

Ewing, I should have added about 20-30min to my estimate of time alloted to puff, but its rare that I have that much time for such a pleasureable experience.

LONG ASHES TO EVERYONE!
JAYJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #18

OK! My friends here's to you that can enjoy a goooooood smoke, bikerboy you will love this. Here the smoke I was telling you that has the Cognac. They have many others they soak in it to.
enjoy my friends.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #19
Born To Be Mild

That actually sounds pretty good. I am not much for flavored cigars. Althuogh I did go to "Cigar Mania" a few years ago and was given a couple of CAO's Eilleen's Dreams. They were really good. (just smoked the last one at the end of the year.)

Old 02-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
That actually sounds pretty good. I am not much for flavored cigars. Althuogh I did go to "Cigar Mania" a few years ago and was given a couple of CAO's Eilleen's Dreams. They were really good. (just smoked the last one at the end of the year.)
Brother, these are the only smoke I smoke that the natural flavors have been altered. I Hate a chemical tasting cigar. You mine as well smoke some Camels. They also sell them with out the cognac.

Tags
None