The Cost of Intensive Farming in France - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Paint Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree53Likes

Old 09-14-2019, 10:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 3,605
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos
Default The Cost of Intensive Farming in France

We need to be careful here!

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...eenlight_email

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,308
Thanked 9,558 Times in 5,424 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Be careful of the politics, or be careful of the toxic seaweed? This looks like an invitation to a PT Perma Ban.

On another note, the gas they are experiencing is likely H2S, or hydrogen 2 sulfide. It is a hazardous gas found in oil refineries and waste treatment plants. Basically, a byproduct of decomposition. It can kill you almost instantly in high concentrations. It attacks your olfactory glands first, and then you're dead.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:56 PM   #3

@CApainter Algae In the USA:

https://www.npr.org/2016/08/29/49183...ems-across-u-s

https://www.epa.gov/nutrientpollutio...l-algal-blooms

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...88302462.html\

https://www.whoi.edu/oceanus/feature...harmful-algae/

So, yes, I think the algae is becoming a huge problem, caused by agricultural run off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #4

If it aint one thing it's another, right?
Old 09-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #5

View Tprice2193's Photo Album My Photos

Agricultural runoff can certainly cause an algae bloom. In the early 80's I lived in NE North Carolina. I used to fish in a natural freshwater lake called Lake Phelps. Late Jan or early Feb was prime fishing for largemouth bass. The algae bloom would hit mid Feb and ruin the fishing. Lake Phelps is surrounded by corporate farms and nutrient run off was thought to be the cause of the algae bloom. Over the years various regulations were enacted that have controlled the runoff and the algae bloom in the freshwater. The salt water Pamlico sound was practically destroyed by AG runoff and hog farm runoff. The big environmental push was in the 80's and has largely been successful. Sportsmen vs corporate AG....they worked it out successfully. It was not kicked under the rug like it appears to have been in France. You havent lived until you have smelled a hog farm. Chicken farms are not much better.
Tprice2193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:26 AM   #6

View Theoriginalpacman's Photo Album My Photos

So let's let billions of people die so we can have "clean" farming. Brilliant.
Theoriginalpacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,148
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoriginalpacman View Post
Huh?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
You fell for the trap. You've now initiated a political debate in my opinion. I was afraid this would happen.

This topic should have been posted in the outhouse in my opinion.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 954
Thanked 4,486 Times in 2,470 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
You fell for the trap. You've now initiated a political debate in my opinion. I was afraid this would happen.

This topic should have been posted in the outhouse in my opinion.

Why does a discussion about farming have to necessarily involve politics? If you want to bring politics into it, start a new thread in the outhouse. Those who want to discuss the issue without bringing politics into it can continue to do so here.

If politics are brought into this thread it will unfortunately be moved to the outhouse, but be advised the mods have run out of warnings regarding that issue.
CApainter, Fman and jennifertemple like this.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
cocomonkeynuts (09-16-2019), jennifertemple (09-16-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
Why does a discussion about farming have to necessarily involve politics? If you want to bring politics into it, start a new thread in the outhouse. Those who want to discuss the issue without bringing politics into it can continue to do so here.

If politics are brought into this thread it will unfortunately be moved to the outhouse, but be advised the mods have run out of warnings regarding that issue.
Post #6 was clearly a political rebuttal to the thread subject. I personally have given no opinion on the subject other than to point out that any disagreement to the OP's subject matter has the potential to be political.

This is why I believe there has to be some responsibility on the part of the original posters to categorize their posts correctly. Because at the end of the day, many of these discussions about the environment ultimately will turn political once there is a disagreeable reply. And surely anyone who disagrees with the OP, is subject to discipline.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Post #6 was clearly a political rebuttal to the thread subject. I personally have given no opinion on the subject other than to point out that any disagreement to the OP's subject matter has the potential to be political.

This is why I believe there has to be some responsibility on the part of the original posters to categorize their posts correctly. Because at the end of the day, many of these discussions about the environment ultimately will turn political once there is a disagreeable reply. And surely anyone who disagrees with the OP, is subject to discipline.

I disagree regarding post 6. Like I said, you can talk about farming without bringing politics into it. Period. Potential means literally nothing.

Just because some people can talk about environmental issues without bringing politics into it and others can't does not put any responsibility on the OP regarding where they create their thread. That remains the responsibility of the person responding who can or can't control themselves. The consequences you're correct, do remain the same.

This isn't directed at you CA, just a general observation.
jennifertemple likes this.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #12

Quote:
I disagree regarding post 6. Like I said, you can talk about farming without bringing politics into it. Period. Potential means literally nothing.

Just because some people can talk about environmental issues without bringing politics into it and others can't does not put any responsibility on the OP regarding where they create their thread. That remains the responsibility of the person responding who can or can't control themselves. The consequences you're correct, do remain the same.

This isn't directed at you CA, just a general observation.
I maintain that any disagreement with the OP's subject matter has the potential to be political. And post #6 contains plenty of ideological disagreement.

Frankly, this discussion has the potential to be an engaging debate had it been posted in the Outhouse. Now, it's basically a cork board of agreeable posts confirming the OP's assessment on the subject.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:07 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,148
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

It seems this is a dilemma for any public or private waterway where run off from lawn chemicals is present. People aren't necessarily aware that stuff's running off into their ponds or their riverfront property.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #14

Quote:
I maintain that any disagreement with the OP's subject matter has the potential to be political. And post #6 contains plenty of ideological disagreement.

Frankly, this discussion has the potential to be an engaging debate had it been posted in the Outhouse. Now, it's basically a cork board of agreeable posts confirming the OP's assessment on the subject.

I seem to have to repeat myself several times today for some reason. Create a similar thread in the Outhouse. There are people on here who do not want any part of that sub forum and have not requested to have access. There are people on here who do want to engage in that sub forum and enjoy talking politics. Have at it.

I'm done with this issue. You've got 101 buttons in front of you. Push whichever ones you wish in whatever sequence you desire. Just be aware of cause and effect.
Fman and jennifertemple like this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
cocomonkeynuts (09-16-2019), Wolfgang (09-17-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #15

Quote:
I seem to have to repeat myself several times today for some reason. Create a similar thread in the Outhouse. There are people on here who do not want any part of that sub forum and have not requested to have access. There are people on here who do want to engage in that sub forum and enjoy talking politics. Have at it.

I'm done with this issue. You've got 101 buttons in front of you. Push whichever ones you wish in whatever sequence you desire. Just be aware of cause and effect.
I have no intentions of debating the OP's position. Besides, it's her choice to post in a forum that welcomes debate.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 156
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fman View Post
It seems this is a dilemma for any public or private waterway where run off from lawn chemicals is present. People aren't necessarily aware that stuff's running off into their ponds or their riverfront property.

Or if you have well water this can be a huge heath risk. People think the city of Flint Mi has problems lemme let y'all in on a secret it's a nation wide issue. Ann Arbor Mi has some serious water problems Benton Harbor the list is looooong ...
Fman and jennifertemple like this.

Delta Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #17

View Theoriginalpacman's Photo Album My Photos

So how does the fact that the reason we need such intensive farming practices is to feed the 6 billion people on earth a political issue? It's a fact regardless of your political beliefs. We need to grow food to feed everyone, and if we can't grow enough food people will starve to death. Not a hard concept to grasp
Theoriginalpacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #18

Quote:
So how does the fact that the reason we need such intensive farming practices is to feed the 6 billion people on earth a political issue? It's a fact regardless of your political beliefs. We need to grow food to feed everyone, and if we can't grow enough food people will starve to death. Not a hard concept to grasp
No comment. Your post #6 was a reply to other posters comments on the subject, not to mine. I suggest you direct it to them.
Good luck!
Old 09-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Either way, people die when water becomes toxic & soon it all will be.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #20

Quote:
People die quicker with no potable water! Water is the base upon which life came into being and continues to keep growing. We can grow food without poisoning everyone.
CApainter likes this.

Tags
None