Deplorable living conditions. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Paint Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Old 08-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos
Default Deplorable living conditions.

What would you do if you walked into a hoarders house that has small children?

Myself I have seen tons of places that should be condemned. I never made any calls to report them, we just passed on the jobs.

I'm asking because a contractor did this to a family in the next town over, it's been on atleast the local news, now the family is on the run. He didnt directly report them but some one he told.

My mom was a hoarder, one day we sent her to Cali to visit friend for 2 weeks. We rented 5 dumpsters and gutted her place. walls and flooring was all that was left. I think it's disgusting and wish I knew sooner.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 192
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

We had a exterior this year that I wanted to report. The cat piss was so bad you could smell it through the siding, soffit when scraping, sanding. When we replaced the door's it was all I could do not to barf..
The lady had 30 cat's 7 being males not fixed spraying over each other daily! The people living inside where coiffing hackin all day long.. I did print up a PDF that listed all the health problems caused from living in that environment and gave it to the HO..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Delta Painting; 08-25-2015 at 05:50 PM..
Delta Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #3
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
What would you do if you walked into a hoarders house that has small children?

Myself I have seen tons of places that should be condemned. I never made any calls to report them, we just passed on the jobs.

I'm asking because a contractor did this to a family in the next town over, it's been on atleast the local news, now the family is on the run. He didnt directly report them but some one he told.

My mom was a hoarder, one day we sent her to Cali to visit friend for 2 weeks. We rented 5 dumpsters and gutted her place. walls and flooring was all that was left. I think it's disgusting and wish I knew sooner.

I saw that house on the news - up in your area.

Reminded me of my mothers house.

13 - 40 yarders they filled when she passed

We tried addressing the issue for years. I realized it was only going to drive a wedge.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2015, 08:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
I saw that house on the news - up in your area.

Reminded me of my mothers house.

13 - 40 yarders they filled when she passed

We tried addressing the issue for years. I realized it was only going to drive a wedge.
Exactly. Every so often we clean the place to a point. My mom doesn't hoard food trash just mostly every thing else. If we clean to much you know how that can be.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
daArch (08-25-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,434
Thanked 4,549 Times in 2,516 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

CD, how did it go when your Mom got home? How'd she react?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:29 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,434
Thanked 4,549 Times in 2,516 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Painting View Post
We had a exterior this year that I wanted to report. The cat piss was so bad you could smell it through the siding, soffit when scraping, sanding. When we replaced the door's it was all I could do not to barf..
The lady had 30 cat's 7 being males not fixed spraying over each other daily! The people living inside where coiffing hackin all day long.. I did print up a PDF that listed all the health problems caused from living in that environment and gave it to the HO..
A friend of mine once rented an apartment in the upper floor of a house. The landlord lived in the main floor. I seem to remember he was in the Guinness book of records for having something like 196 cats. My buddy lasted exactly one week before we had to move him back out again. The stench was incredible and so was the noise.

Edit: OMG, I just looked it up. It wasn't 196.
Jack and Donna Wright of Kingston, Ontario, made their way to the Guinness World Records for having the highest number of cats. According to the Guinness World Records, they have 689 cats.

Last edited by Wildbill7145; 08-26-2015 at 07:34 AM..
Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
daArch (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,710 Times in 3,177 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Just remember that people that hoard most often have some very serious mental conditions that trigger the hoarding. They really need professional help, although it can be very traumatic for them when they feel some one is prying into their personal lives. For their own good and the welfare of the people around them they should be reported to health officials so they can get the help they need. It isn't easy to do, and initially they can get very angry towards people that turn them in, but once they start to get the counselling they need they will most often be grateful that someone started them down the path of recovery. Most major cities in Ohio have a way they they can be reported anonymously. And a large quantity of animals is usually a good indicator that they need some kind of counselling. I have a relative that is facing this problem right now.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
daArch (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 09:44 AM   #8
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Just remember that people that hoard most often have some very serious mental conditions that trigger the hoarding. They really need professional help, although it can be very traumatic for them when they feel some one is prying into their personal lives. For their own good and the welfare of the people around them they should be reported to health officials so they can get the help they need. It isn't easy to do, and initially they can get very angry towards people that turn them in, but once they start to get the counselling they need they will most often be grateful that someone started them down the path of recovery. Most major cities in Ohio have a way they they can be reported anonymously. And a large quantity of animals is usually a good indicator that they need some kind of counselling. I have a relative that is facing this problem right now.

In early 2013, the American Psychiatric Association published DSM-5. In it a new chapter on OCD and related disorders. In that chapter, Hoarding is a newly recognized disorder.

There are many behavioral ramifications connected with hoarding, none of them good, rational, or beneficial. I would strongly suggest a professional be brought in to assess and help find a solution for anyone with a loved one with this disorder.

BTW, the WW and I both have tendencies that we really try to keep in check. We are managing well, but still could do better. Then again, recognition is 90% of the battle.

"Are we having fun yet"

Last edited by daArch; 08-26-2015 at 09:49 AM..
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Wildbill7145 (08-26-2015), Wolfgang (08-26-2015)

Tags
None