Electric Cars - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Paint Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Old 07-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos
Default Electric Cars

What do you guys think about them? I have seen quite a few Chevy Volt's around lately.....that car is sweeeeeeeeeet. I guess it goes like 40 miles before using any fuel. So when you run out of electric power, there is a generator that powers the electric motor, so you'll never be stranded, pretty cool. Supposedly a full charge, that you would plug into a standard outlet at your home, would cost less than $2, also cool.

I dont want to debate trading one fossil fuel for another, I just wanted to see what everyone thought A-Boat ( for Rcon ) them. I think its a step in the right direction. I am really considering getting one. My round trip to the shop is just over 40 miles. The sticker is $32K +/-, so its fairly expensive. BUT, the govt is giving a $7500 tax rebate on them, so it becomes a bit more affordable. Right now I drive a Truck, getting around 17mpg highway. Runs around $300/month in fuel. The fuel savings alone could offset a good portion of the vehicle cost. Plus, GM is giving an 8 year warranty on the battery, thats unbelievable!!! I cant get a cell phone battery to last more than 6 months
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 520
Thanked 8,618 Times in 4,015 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Not a bad looking ride. Now if the dealers dont get greedy with additional profit markups. Seen it happen too many times when something new and hard to get comes out.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Not a bad looking ride. Now if the dealers dont get greedy with additional profit markups. Seen it happen too many times when something new and hard to get comes out.
I thought about that too, but with the way the big three's financials have been, not to mention all of the govt. involvement with their business, I really dont see that happening, but who knows.

Being in the Detroit area, with all the car companies around, its pretty neat to see the cars before everyone else. My neighbor was working on the new Ford Taurus a few years ago. It was still in development stages, when he brought one home for testing. Had black and white checkerboard like sticker/reflectors all over it, ( in the biz, they call it "goo") its used to make photographing impossible. He brought this car home and came over to my house all excited....he said "you gotta come check out this car, its the new Ford Taurus SHO, and it is awesome". I told him...you just used "Taurus" and "awesome" in the same sentence, nothing has ever been "awesome" about a Taurus. If you havent seen one, or driven one, its worth checking out if you have some spare time just for kicks. 360HP all wheel drive, 2 Turbos ( forget what he called them ) and over 30MPG.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Do you have to replace battery after so much use, if so how much are the battery's?

That was the draw back for me on elct. cars when I was looking into them. The replacement was like 6k for the Honda's
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75
View PCM1's Photo Album My Photos

I like it, wonder how it does in the Rocky Mountains?

PCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
Do you have to replace battery after so much use, if so how much are the battery's?

That was the draw back for me on elct. cars when I was looking into them. The replacement was like 6k for the Honda's
I know its pretty pricey for the hybrids, the new type battery on the Volt has an 8 year warranty

Old 07-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCM1 View Post
I like it, wonder how it does in the Rocky Mountains?
Wondering the same thing about Michigan. I cant imagine it would be any worse than any other compact car. Its a bit smaller than the Pontiac G6. Should be fine. Actually has really good power. Electric motors have great low end.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #8

View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

with electric engines with all that torque.. I am SURE they would perform well in the mountains.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250
View Bobbo's Photo Album My Photos

I am just discovering the joys of being "green" ! Here is a great link to some eco friendly cars and a cool eco forum !!! enjoy

http://www.envirocitizen.org/forums/...reen-cars.html

Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
I am just discovering the joys of being "green" ! Here is a great link to some eco friendly cars and a cool eco forum !!! enjoy

http://www.envirocitizen.org/forums/...reen-cars.html
Thanks Not to sound rude, or like I dont care about the environment. Saving my "green" is important, helping the environment by doing so is an added bonus Thanks for the link, some great stuff there

The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (07-23-2010)
Old 07-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75
View StefanC's Photo Album My Photos

I'm trying to convince the wife to let me trade in her SUV for this. Can't seem to find any solid pricing information though.

Last edited by StefanC; 07-23-2010 at 08:26 AM..
StefanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None