Getting "Out of the Bucket". - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Paint Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Old 10-24-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 224
Thanked 8,672 Times in 4,050 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos
Default Getting "Out of the Bucket".

Well, I've been trying to decide this past year to stop the physical aspect of my business, ie; doing the labor part. As it turns out, Wednesday, I had the decision made for me.

Woke up Wed a.m. feeling a little under the weather, mostly achey feeling arms and chest. 'Bout 10:30 I decide to head home and just rest for awhile. Nod off on the couch for about 45 min and wake to excruciating chest pain and both arms. Yep, full blown heart attack.

I've been through alot of severe pain instances in my life, but nothing, and I mean nothing as bad as this. After getting to to the Hospital, I was in the Cardiac Cath Lab in 45 min. So now I have a stint in an artery, all sorts of new medications, and lifestyle changes to make.

The wife was waiting at the ER, (she works at the Hosp), and I finally had to tell her I didnt think I was going to make it through this.... it was that bad. Two hours later I'm laying in a bed feeling like I've been beat with a 2x4, but otherwise, feeling OK.

So no paint for at least the next month, no lifting anything over 10 pounds, no arms above chest level, and a whole slew of new rules. Going to take the week coming up to decided whether to continue the business; just running the business end or see if the guys are interested in turning it over to them.

Getting old sucks.........
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 06:03 AM   #2
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Sorry to hear that,good luck in whatever you decide, getting old really does suck.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Wolf, your story scares me. Hope things work out well for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
The Lurker

View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

Take care, I have a strange feeling I may be where you are now in about 10 years...

MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Wolf, I am glad to hear you are ok, must have terrifying and painful.
It sounds like you have some tough decisions to make. I wish you the best.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Darn, Wolf, I'm very sorry to hear that. Its a wakeup call. Get better quick. I have a feeling you will come back with many new perspectives on business and life. Take care of yourself.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Wolf, sorry to hear this. I am glad to hear that your business can still go on though with out your active participant in the labor aspect.
Hope you get plenty of rest and fell better. Life throws some curve balls but if you have a good support system with family and friends it will go a lot easier.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #8

View KLaw's Photo Album My Photos

Wolf: I am glad for you and your family that you are doing well after that very traumatic experience. As you know, you got some changes to make (physically and mentally). Best of luck to you.
KLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #9

Thanked 1,028 Times in 672 Posts
View plainpainter's Photo Album My Photos

I wish guys like Wolf would go on speaking tours. Imagine Benjamin Moore holding these engagements at local vendors with a door prize of 10 free gallons of ceiling paint or something. This would be a wake up call for many contractors.

Where the professionals go to make sure Harry homeowner isn't getting too many quotes!
plainpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #10

View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

Wolf man.. dang! Get to feeling better. If you need any help let me know. I am not that far away.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
House Painting Reading PA

Rewards Points: 250
View 4ThGeneration's Photo Album My Photos

I hope you do not have a question where you have to raise your hand...
In Berks County PA 484-334-1311
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,136 Times in 611 Posts
View y.painting's Photo Album My Photos

Wolf, I'm glad to hear you are doing better! In time, you will be back on your feet! Wishing you a fast recovery!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
wje

Rewards Points: 1,048
Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,228 Posts
View wje's Photo Album My Photos

I saw the title and was not expecting this to be the reason. I am extremely happy you are ok, but sorry that you had to go through all of that. I am sure the stress on your family was excrutiating. I always enjoy and respect what you have to say around here so i am glad you are still with us man. I would say do what you have to do to keep on keepin on first, and work can be an afterthought. Good luck to you and with what ever you decide to do.

wje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Sorry to hear Wolf Rest up buddy.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,924
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

Rest and get well, my prayers go out to you and family.
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Sorry bro! Hope you come back kicking harder.
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 500
View WAGGZ's Photo Album My Photos

Glad you're ok.

I think of a fair price as one that puts my kids through private school and offers value to the homeowner... -Pressure Pros
WAGGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WAGGZ For This Useful Post:
nEighter (10-24-2009)
Old 10-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #18
I'm Colour Blind

Rewards Points: 1,008
View mistcoat's Photo Album My Photos

So glad you're ok Wolf
I hope you make a full recovery.
My Dad had two mild heart attacks up a treble ladder, not good.

What Ken Fenner said in a reply to a post, HOW MANY ONE MAN SHOWS ARE THERE? It was post number 17. It brings it home to me.
Good job you got your blokes to carry on bringing in some money for you.
Best Wishes.

I'm hearing you Ken.

mistcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 75
View graybear13's Photo Album My Photos

Best wishes to a speedy recovery and hope things work out for you . It's tough when you have to make lifestyle changes, but I feel you will do just fine.
graybear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 79
View LouLewyLewis's Photo Album My Photos

Get well soon ......
Proverbs 22:29 says: "Have you beheld a man skillful in his work? Before kings is where he will station himself; he will not station himself before commonplace men." I believe that if you love your customers and do them right, you will never go hungry!
LouLewyLewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None