Great Week! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Paint Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree15Likes

Old 11-01-2019, 05:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 326
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos
Default Great Week!

I put up 14 quarts of tomatoes, 8 pints spaghetti sauce 10 pints of apple butter, a years supply of basil pesto & 4 quarts of sauerkraut. Still to go are the collard greens, peppers and Swiss chard. That's about it for the garden this year. We ate all the beans & eggplant as they ripened so nothing to preserve on that score. Still, a good haul for a postage stamp sized yard!
CApainter likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,372
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

We've been eating garden tomatoes since early August except for waiting for them to ripen. When it started to dip down near freezing I pulled all of them off the vine, we've been eating them since and still have a bunch ripening on the kitchen table. This may be the best tomato crop I've had in years, not bad for 4 plants grown in large containers.
jennifertemple likes this.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 572
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushman4 View Post
We've been eating garden tomatoes since early August except for waiting for them to ripen. When it started to dip down near freezing I pulled all of them off the vine, we've been eating them since and still have a bunch ripening on the kitchen table. This may be the best tomato crop I've had in years, not bad for 4 plants grown in large containers.
Don't be afraid to fry the green ones...delicious!!!
Rbriggs82 likes this.
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 07:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
They can also be pickled just like sauerkraut! That is what I'm going to do with a bunch of mine. I do have a lot, though. Some may get turned in into relish.
mukhoeb and Lightningboy65 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
Old 11-01-2019, 08:20 PM   #5

Quote:
I ate too many green tomatoes as a kid, my grandmother used to can tons of them, I prefer mine nice and red and juicy, slice them up and put them on top of fresh mozzarella, sprinkle some green onions, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, basil, extra virgin olive oil, and wine or balsamic vinegar. Mmm, mnn, mnn!
Old 11-01-2019, 08:20 PM   #6
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,442
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

Nothing I plant does well. Plus I am very lazy when it comes to that sort of thing. I hate yard work.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:03 PM   #7

Quote:
I ate too many green tomatoes as a kid, my grandmother used to can tons of them, I prefer mine nice and red and juicy, slice them up and put them on top of fresh mozzarella, sprinkle some green onions, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, basil, extra virgin olive oil, and wine or balsamic vinegar. Mmm, mnn, mnn!
Lots of good ways to eat em...imo one of the best (with truly great tomatoes) is to pick off the vine when ripe, wipe it off, and eat it as you would an apple!

We're already back to the store bought for fresh tomatoes until next year. I find it hard to believe they share much DNA with the tomatoes that come out of the garden
Old 11-02-2019, 01:47 AM   #8

I'm thinking green tomato salsa might be worth trying.

Old 11-02-2019, 01:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Lots of good ways to eat em...imo one of the best (with truly great tomatoes) is to pick off the vine when ripe, wipe it off, and eat it as you would an apple!

We're already back to the store bought for fresh tomatoes until next year. I find it hard to believe they share much DNA with the tomatoes that come out of the garden
In the winter all I buy are Campari and Kumato tomatoes, those so-called ripe on the vine orange looking things taste like plastic!
Lightningboy65 likes this.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:27 AM   #10

Quote:
In the winter all I buy are Campari and Kumato tomatoes, those so-called ripe on the vine orange looking things taste like plastic!
I still have some fresh & ripe from the garden but I do know of what you speak. I'll be there sooner rather than later BUT at least my preserved for cooking are great and I am never forced to buy cans or frozen commercial crap!

Old 11-02-2019, 05:52 AM   #11
King Dude

Rewards Points: 5,002
Thanked 5,062 Times in 2,881 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifertemple View Post
I'm thinking green tomato salsa might be worth trying.
I never really experienced fried green tomatoes until I moved down south, now I can't get enough. Restaurants serve them as appetizers with a creamy sauce but my favorite is a fried green tomato on a good burger.

For the first time this year I tried growing tomatoes. I was so excited when they started to ripen but when I finally got to eat them they all ended up tasting like dirt. Not sure what kind they were but that all had a weird little point at the bottom, almost like a radish.

Growing up my parents had an amazing garden and grew everything you could think of. My favorite was the zucchini and squash, my mother made one hell of a zucchini bread.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post

For the first time this year I tried growing tomatoes. I was so excited when they started to ripen but when I finally got to eat them they all ended up tasting like dirt. Not sure what kind they were but that all had a weird little point at the bottom, almost like a radish.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
You may have had a variety developed for skin toughness or looks, rather than flavor.

My tomato trifecta:

Amish paste - for canning/cooking
Arkansas traveler - salads (and the best to eat straight from the vine, like an apple)
Brandywine - sandwiches (especially BLTs, the driving factor behind my tomato patch)

Of course the uses of these tomatoes go beyond those listed, but they are the primary reasons I grow these varieties.

Last edited by Lightningboy65; 11-02-2019 at 10:11 AM..
Old 11-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #13

And I might add, buying plants from a big box store is a crapshoot. A good percentage of the time you may not be getting the variety claimed on the tag. Best to buy plants from a local greenhouse or start plants from seed yourself. A cold frame is easy to build, takes up little room, and can yield plenty of plants at a greatly reduced cost.
jennifertemple and Rbriggs82 like this.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 5,144
Thanked 4,512 Times in 2,488 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

My neighbour across the street is Dutch. His tomatoe plants are grown from seed. When his father came to Canada in the late 60's he brought tomatoe seeds from their garden in Holland and the family has been collecting and using the same seeds since then.

Damn plants get so big he practically needs miniature scaffolding around them to hold them up. Wire cages wouldn't do it. The tomatoes are massive and probably the yummiest I've ever had.

Our plants get some sort of blight every year and just don't produce anything worth bragging about.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:03 PM   #15

Quote:
And I might add, buying plants from a big box store is a crapshoot. A good percentage of the time you may not be getting the variety claimed on the tag. Best to buy plants from a local greenhouse or start plants from seed yourself. A cold frame is easy to build, takes up little room, and can yield plenty of plants at a greatly reduced cost.
YUP! Best is to start from seed, early, inside so you'll have decent amount of summer to grow a good crop.

Old 11-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #16

Quote:
You may have had a variety developed for skin toughness or looks, rather than flavor.

My tomato trifecta:

Amish paste - for canning/cooking
Arkansas traveler - salads (and the best to eat straight from the vine, like an apple)
Brandywine - sandwiches (especially BLTs, the driving factor behind my tomato patch)

Of course the uses of these tomatoes go beyond those listed, but they are the primary reasons I grow these varieties.
Another good heirloom are Cherokee Purples, I also like Celebrities which are hybrids, they have good disease resistance.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Another good heirloom are Cherokee Purples, I also like Celebrities which are hybrids, they have good disease resistance.
I grow for taste, so I generally stick with heirloom varieties.

But when I do grow hybrids, I grow Celebrities.....

Stay thirsty, my friend.
Brushman4 likes this.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:46 PM   #18

Quote:
I grow for taste, so I generally stick with heirloom varieties.

But when I do grow hybrids, I grow Celebrities.....

Stay thirsty, my friend.
Me, I'm adventurous! I try different types from year to year. I just never grow plum and there is always one "Beef Eater", the rest is a gamble that I tend to win. I grew a new heirloom variety this year that produced a tomato so so dark a red it bordered on purple but tasted wonderful!. BTW: The best tomato you will ever taste is picked from the vine, sun warmed and eaten at the spot! Something about a sun warmed tomato brings out all the sweetness and flavor. I carry a salt shaker around the garden.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifertemple View Post
I carry a salt shaker around the garden.
Salt on tomatoes is like catsup on eggs....no way!!!

But I certainly agree the flavors are at their best when warmed by the sun!
Old 11-03-2019, 12:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Salt on tomatoes is like catsup on eggs....no way!!!

But I certainly agree the flavors are at their best when warmed by the sun!
Too Bad! I do it!! I like it And I NEVER put cat$hit on eggs or any other darned thing. Fries get malt vinegar, salt & pepper. I can not think of any other place one would use the stuff. I don't do sweet but I confess an addiction to salt! (Is there a rehab for that?)
Lightningboy65 likes this.

Tags
None