HD's Phone Service Sucks - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Paint Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Old 01-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
RH

Rewards Points: 10,200
Thanked 15,352 Times in 8,039 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default HD's Phone Service Sucks

I've made no secret of my opinion of my local HD paint department and that they will never get my business due to their poor level of service. However, somewhat out of necessity, I do still find myself shopping there in other departments.

Case in point, we are in the process of fitting out our new master closet with shelving and storage units. I am making most of what we need but I still need to purchase things such as brackets and poles. We found some relatively decent chrome rod brackets and some 72 inch chrome rods. But, we also need some 96 inch rods. We knew our store didn't have them so I tried placing a call to the HD in our neighboring city. First call to lumber gets me to a guy who transfers me to millworks where after a three minute wait I get disconnected. Second call lands me in garden supplies where the guy there tries to transfer me to millworks. After three minutes on hold he does check back in and tries again. This time I eventually hang up because after around 6 minutes I'm tired of being stuck on hold. Fourth try, I contact the pro-desk to ask to speak to the store manager. In the process of being transferred, I once again get disconnected, but, to her credit, the pro-desk gal calls me right back to apologize and reconnect me (maybe because she knew what I was calling about?).

When I eventually get to talk to the manager I describe my experience and let him know I will not be ordering or purchasing anything further from HD for this remodel.

Why bother to call the manager at all? Well, a big part of it was to vent, but another part is that if everyone who gets poor service just accepts it without letting management know what is happening, it's unlikely things will ever improve.

All in all, a great lesson in how to lose customers and influence people in a negative way.

End of rant.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
ExcelPaintingCo (01-09-2015), Gough (01-09-2015), paintball head (01-09-2015), PremierPaintingMa (01-09-2015), SemiproJohn (01-16-2015), slinger58 (01-09-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #2
very senior member

Rewards Points: 52
Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
I've made no secret of my opinion of my local HD paint department and that they will never get my business due to their poor level of service. However, somewhat out of necessity, I do still find myself shopping there in other departments.

Case in point, we are in the process of fitting out our new master closet with shelving and storage units. I am making most of what we need but I still need to purchase things such as brackets and poles. We found some relatively decent chrome rod brackets and some 72 inch chrome rods. But, we also need some 96 inch rods. We knew our store didn't have them so I tried placing a call to the HD in our neighboring city. First call to lumber gets me to a guy who transfers me to millworks where after a three minute wait I get disconnected. Second call lands me in garden supplies where the guy there tries to transfer me to millworks. After three minutes on hold he does check back in and tries again. This time I eventually hang up because after around 6 minutes I'm tired of being stuck on hold. Fourth try, I contact the pro-desk to ask to speak to the store manager. In the process of being transferred, I once again get disconnected, but, to her credit, the pro-desk gal calls me right back to apologize and reconnect me (maybe because she knew what I was calling about?).

When I eventually get to talk to the manager I describe my experience and let him know I will not be ordering or purchasing anything further from HD for this remodel.

Why bother to call the manager at all? Well, a big part of it was to vent, but another part is that if everyone who gets poor service just accepts it without letting management know what is happening, it's unlikely things will ever improve.

All in all, a great lesson in how to lose customers and influence people in a negative way.

End of rant.
The "manager" probably works in the paint department
daArch (01-16-2015), RH (01-10-2015), slinger58 (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,828 Times in 3,141 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post

End of rant.
I am a firm believer in "voting with your pocketbook".
slinger58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
RH (01-10-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,606
View paintball head's Photo Album My Photos

Your phone fun with HD is pretty much what I've gotten in the midwest. You do make a good point on letting them know of how poorly they handled your call, I normally don't have the patience to seek out the right person to complain to, it would be as bad or worse than the original call seeking product info.
I would guess most of the HDs handle their calls the same way. Sure there is probably the occasional store that might have a good system. I'd find it hard to believe if they ever fix the problem.
paintball head is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paintball head For This Useful Post:
RH (01-10-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 60
View Ayscii's Photo Album My Photos

I look online and it tells me if it is in the store.... just bought a miter saw table the store didn't even know they had.... 14 of them up in the rack.... only 49 bucks..... all the high dollar ones were on the floor...
Ayscii is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ayscii For This Useful Post:
daArch (01-16-2015), RH (01-10-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Those associates make what $9.50 an hour? They don't get paid enough to be professional.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to straight_lines For This Useful Post:
RH (01-10-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 79
View BuckeyePainter's Photo Album My Photos

I think HD sucks overall anytime you have to deal with them. PERIOD. However, I must say my local HD is waaaay better than my local Lowe's
BuckeyePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 194
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,272 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

In my experience, attempting to call either Lowe's or HD is a very exhilarating experience, if you are into masochistic stuff. If you are not, it is extremely frustrating.

Where I live, I would have to say that HD outperforms Lowe's in terms of efficiency of service. However, HD isn't very efficient. Lowe's blows in comparison.

I do renovation work in addition to painting. It seems that each time I order carpeting from Lowe's (I provide them with the cuts/measurements I need and the time I will pick it up), they say they will have it ready by that time. And guess what? Each time I have gone to pick up the carpeting (pre-paid, of course, when I ordered the stuff), I am told that it will be brought out of the back of the store. After waiting 15 or 20 minutes I walk back to the flooring section and what do I see? My carpet is put on the machine so the employee/employees can BEGIN cutting it (they have only had like a week to do this). This has happened 5 consecutive times to me now.

I'm sorry to throw the thread off kilter, but one rant can lead to another.
SemiproJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #9
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

I like HD and Lowes because they are SELF SERVICE. If I have to call and ask about something, that usually means I'd be better off going to a REAL building supply store.

Although, I did once get REAL good phone service from one HD once. Called about an obscure item that ONLY that store had of the ten thousand HD's in this area. One guy went out of his way to locate, price, and tell me EXACTLY where it was. After loading up my cart, I hunted the guy down and personally thanked him for being an aberration.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:18 PM   #10
RH

Rewards Points: 10,200
Thanked 15,352 Times in 8,039 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
I like HD and Lowes because they are SELF SERVICE. If I have to call and ask about something, that usually means I'd be better off going to a REAL building supply store.

Although, I did once get REAL good phone service from one HD once. Called about an obscure item that ONLY that store had of the ten thousand HD's in this area. One guy went out of his way to locate, price, and tell me EXACTLY where it was. After loading up my cart, I hunted the guy down and personally thanked him for being an aberration.
When HD arrived here the local outfits that would be competing with them were pretty concerned about their futures. And some of those stores are no longer around. The ones that did survive are those that quickly learned that if they could be close in price they could outperform the big box stores in the area of service and thereby compete.

I think there's a good lesson in there somewhere.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
daArch (01-16-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 04:25 AM   #11
very senior member

Rewards Points: 52
Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

[QUOTE=daArch;608169]I like HD and Lowes because they are SELF SERVICE. If I have to call and ask about something, that usually means I'd be better off going to a REAL building supply store.

Although, I did once get REAL good phone service from one HD once. Called about an obscure item that ONLY that store had of the ten thousand HD's in this area. One guy went out of his way to locate, price, and tell me EXACTLY where it was. After loading up my cart, I hunted the guy down and personally thanked him for being an aberration.[/QUOTE]

I would have loved to have seen his face when you called him that

Tags
None