Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum

Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum (https://www.painttalk.com/)
-   Off Topic (Non Trade) (https://www.painttalk.com/f14/)
-   -   Mamma Mia (https://www.painttalk.com/f14/mamma-mia-2645/)

Brian 07-26-2008 06:11 PM

Mamma Mia
 
This isn't as macho as noodling, but I saw Mamma Mia this afternoon and it was an absolute blast. I never liked Abba, but a friend recommended the movie. It was 2 hours of laughter, benevolence, and pure joy.

Meryl Streep has a surprisingly good voice. Amanda Seyfried is cute as a button. The actors seemed to be, to quote Abba, "having the time of [their] life."

I went into the theater expecting to dislike the movie. Within minutes I was smiling. Withint 15 minutes I wanted to dance. By the end, I wanted to sing along (but I didn't know the lyrics).

The plot is very weak. But the movie isn't about the story. The movie is about loving life, and to spend 2 hours experiencing that is well worth the price of admission.

My wife didn't expect to like the movie either, but she wants to go see it again. So guys, if you want to score some points, this might be a way to do it.

Brian Phillips

mistcoat 07-26-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 33225)
This isn't as macho as noodling, but I saw Mamma Mia this afternoon and it was an absolute blast. I never liked Abba, but a friend recommended the movie. It was 2 hours of laughter, benevolence, and pure joy.

Meryl Streep has a surprisingly good voice. Amanda Seyfried is cute as a button. The actors seemed to be, to quote Abba, "having the time of [their] life."

I went into the theater expecting to dislike the movie. Within minutes I was smiling. Withint 15 minutes I wanted to dance. By the end, I wanted to sing along (but I didn't know the lyrics).

The plot is very weak. But the movie isn't about the story. The movie is about loving life, and to spend 2 hours experiencing that is well worth the price of admission.

My wife didn't expect to like the movie either, but she wants to go see it again. So guys, if you want to score some points, this might be a way to do it.

Brian Phillips

Don't think this person liked it :whistling2:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/20...0/film.reviews

Hey Ho!!!

mistcoat(UK)

Brian 07-26-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistcoat (Post 33231)
Don't think this person liked it :whistling2:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/20...0/film.reviews

Hey Ho!!!

mistcoat(UK)

Some people don't like chocolate. Some people don't like beer. Some people don't like sex. Some people don't like enjoying life. Go figure.

Brian Phillips

JNLP 07-26-2008 11:07 PM

Amanda Seyfried is indeed a cutie.

I have absolutely no urge to see this movie, but I'm sure in do time my wife will force it upon me. It's good to know I might find some enjoyment in it atleast.


- Pint

chrisn 07-27-2008 06:23 AM

Amanda Seyfried is indeed a cutie.


5'3 from Allentown,PA, gotta be a first for Allentown

mistcoat 07-27-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 33233)
Some people don't like chocolate. Some people don't like beer. Some people don't like sex. Some people don't like enjoying life. Go figure.

Brian Phillips

Brian

Just saying, that's all.

mistcoat(UK)

vermontpainter 07-27-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 33233)
Some people don't like chocolate. Some people don't like beer. Some people don't like sex. Some people don't like enjoying life. Go figure.

Brian Phillips

How dare you talk about my wife that way :D




tsunamicontract 07-27-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vermontpainter (Post 33284)
How dare you talk about my wife that way :D

classic. :thumbup:

Brian 07-27-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistcoat (Post 33283)
Brian

Just saying, that's all.

mistcoat(UK)

I didn't mean my comment to be aimed at you. To be honest, my wife didn't want to go. I had mixed thoughts, but I had a strong recommendation from someone who has never steered me wrong.

I don't see how anyone could not enjoy the movie, unless he doesn't enjoy watching people have fun, or is dead. Which is pretty much the same thing.

Brian Phillips

CApainter 07-28-2008 12:10 AM

I'll wait for the DVD.

mistcoat 07-28-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 33319)
I didn't mean my comment to be aimed at you. To be honest, my wife didn't want to go. I had mixed thoughts, but I had a strong recommendation from someone who has never steered me wrong.

I don't see how anyone could not enjoy the movie, unless he doesn't enjoy watching people have fun, or is dead. Which is pretty much the same thing.

Brian Phillips

Hello Brian

No offence taken at all.
I just went to that site I linked to show they didn't really think it was all that.
Aaanyway, we shouldn't listen to critics who are paid loadsa money to slate something who if the truth is known, they know Jack!!!

Best thing I saw when it came here (UK) was the show Wicked. The one explaining how things were before Dorothy in the wizard of oz etc, etc.
Was really good.

Happy Days!

Hope you're busy, Brian.

mistcoat(UK)

Bushdude 07-28-2008 05:33 PM

Waiting for the book, am I...

Brian 07-28-2008 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushdude (Post 33405)
Waiting for the book, am I...

Your wait is over http://www.amazon.com/Mamma-Mia-How-Can-Resist/dp/0297844210
Brian Phillips

Brian 07-28-2008 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vermontpainter (Post 33284)
How dare you talk about my wife that way :D

My wife doesn't like beer either.

Brian Phillips

timhag 07-28-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 33421)
My wife doesn't like beer either.

Brian Phillips

I'm glad I don't have these problems anymore. :thumbup:

Brian 09-01-2008 06:41 PM

I saw Mamma Mia again this weekend and it was better than the first time. The first time I didn't know the words to the songs, but this time I could sing along.

I have never seen a movie twice in a theater. And I have never had a better time at a theater.

A lot of people seem to consider this a "chick flick". I consider it a human flick.

I've also spent a lot of the weekend watching hummingbirds out of my window. I venture to say, if you like hummingbirds, you will like Mamma Mia.

Brian Phillips

daArch 09-01-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 33225)

My wife didn't expect to like the movie either, but she wants to go see it again. So guys, if you want to score some points, this might be a way to do it.

Brian Phillips

So did you git some ? http://billarchibald.com/smilies/devil.gif




MAK-Deco 09-01-2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 38628)
I saw Mamma Mia again this weekend and it was better than the first time. The first time I didn't know the words to the songs, but this time I could sing along.

I have never seen a movie twice in a theater. And I have never had a better time at a theater.

A lot of people seem to consider this a "chick flick". I consider it a human flick.

I've also spent a lot of the weekend watching hummingbirds out of my window. I venture to say, if you like hummingbirds, you will like Mamma Mia.

Brian Phillips

Hey Brian I have a hummingbird in my garage as I type and it won't leave any suggestions :)

Brian 09-01-2008 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daArch (Post 38656)

I guess that would depend on what you mean by "some".

Brian Phillips

Brian 09-01-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAK-Deco (Post 38668)
Hey Brian I have a hummingbird in my garage as I type and it won't leave any suggestions :)

They like red and yellow flowers. But if I had one in my garage, I don't think I'd be trying to get it to leave. I'd be trying to take pictures and train it for the circus or something.

That's a new one on me. Hummers are so hyper they don't stay anywhere for long. Keep the door open and he will likely leave.

Brian Phillips


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.