Off Season Indoor Activities - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Paint Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #1
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 18,451
Rewards Points: 10,338
Thanks: 11,565
Thanked 15,366 Times in 8,050 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default Off Season Indoor Activities

Assuming many of you have a little slower schedule during the winter months, what do you do to fill any spare time you might have?

I enjoy playing video games more than I should so I try and balance that with working on my model railroad. Going to be completing a new small town section this year starting with some structures I have been working on for a period of time. Now that that a core of buildings are ready for placement, roads will go in, then trees and undergrowth. Details and figures will be last. Will never be "done" with the layout since there are always ways to improve and change what has been built before. Included a few pics of the town structures going in and a few random shots from other spots on the layout.

Both of these are only things I do when the weather outside is frightful and doing inside stuff is delightful. And if I have no place to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Off Season Indoor Activities-img_0994.jpg  

Off Season Indoor Activities-img_0996.jpg  

Off Season Indoor Activities-img_0997.jpg  

Off Season Indoor Activities-img_0998.jpg  

Off Season Indoor Activities-img_1000.jpg  

Off Season Indoor Activities-img_1001.jpg  

__________________
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
CApainter (01-04-2016), Cricket (01-01-2016), DrakeB (01-04-2016), PACman (01-04-2016), Paradigmzz (01-02-2016), PRC (01-01-2016), Rbriggs82 (01-02-2016), SemiproJohn (01-01-2016), stelzerpaintinginc. (01-01-2016), Steve Richards (01-05-2016), The Cutting Edge (01-01-2016), Underdog (02-01-2016), Wolfgang (01-01-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #2
Renegade Mod
 
Wolfgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,149
Rewards Points: 520
Thanks: 7,389
Thanked 8,618 Times in 4,015 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Some of the layouts I've seen of those are amazing!

I've been working on a 1923 TBucket since I completed the garage. Today I worked on finishing up some 19" wide fiberglass rear fenders I made. Just taking my time on this build...until the last minute rush. lol Next will be cutting both doors in.
__________________
Sweeping the streets of PT, one day at a time.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wolfgang For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (01-02-2016), RH (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #3
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 18,451
Rewards Points: 10,338
Thanks: 11,565
Thanked 15,366 Times in 8,050 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Some of the layouts I've seen of those are amazing!

I've been working on a 1923 TBucket since I completed the garage. Today I worked on finishing up some 19" wide fiberglass rear fenders I made. Just taking my time on this build...until the last minute rush. lol Next will be cutting both doors in.
Wolf - Time for you to post some new pics. I'd like to see where you are on that.

Yeah, my layout is pretty small time and at best mediocre compared to some I have seen. But then I don't really spend as much time on it as I'd like. A few more years and it will be getting worked on much more.
__________________
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #4
Renegade Mod
 
Wolfgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,149
Rewards Points: 520
Thanks: 7,389
Thanked 8,618 Times in 4,015 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I've been taking fabrication and build pics as I go along. May just end up doing a blog or something of the sort. I've already got a few guys interested in it when it's completed though I was hoping to hang on to this one. But, you know the old saying: "Money talks". I just know that this will probably be my last major build so I wanted to make it something special. (To me anyway)

I've been to a couple of train hobby shows and the investment of time and money just blows me away. The detail that some of these people go to, Wow! And they all said the same thing: "It's never done.". Hell, give me a round track, toss a building in the middle, and I'd be happy.
__________________
Sweeping the streets of PT, one day at a time.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 18,451
Rewards Points: 10,338
Thanks: 11,565
Thanked 15,366 Times in 8,050 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I've been taking fabrication and build pics as I go along. May just end up doing a blog or something of the sort. I've already got a few guys interested in it when it's completed though I was hoping to hang on to this one. But, you know the old saying: "Money talks". I just know that this will probably be my last major build so I wanted to make it something special. (To me anyway)

I've been to a couple of train hobby shows and the investment of time and money just blows me away. The detail that some of these people go to, Wow! And they all said the same thing: "It's never done.". Hell, give me a round track, toss a building in the middle, and I'd be happy.
For me, as with many modelers, it's less about the running of the trains and more about the modeling and building of everything that goes into a layout.
__________________
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Intermountain West
Posts: 10,539
Rewards Points: 840
Thanks: 11,620
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
For me, as with many modelers, it's less about the running of the trains and more about the modeling and building of everything that goes into a layout.
I can't speak for Wolf, but nearly all of the people I know who restore cars are the same way.

It's more about the process than the product.
__________________
“The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” – Henry David Thoreau
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gough For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (01-04-2016), RH (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016, 08:10 PM   #7
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 18,451
Rewards Points: 10,338
Thanks: 11,565
Thanked 15,366 Times in 8,050 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Yeah, I can see that. Used to have a neighbor who was into that. If he kept a finished product for more than a year it was an exception.
__________________
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:43 AM   #8
Renegade Mod
 
Wolfgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,149
Rewards Points: 520
Thanks: 7,389
Thanked 8,618 Times in 4,015 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I've usually always had a few "flip projects" going every year. Buy them right, minimal time and monetary investment, and then sell them, as that was the intention when buying. Most were in the mid $30's and up. Learned those took a little longer to sell, so I try to keep them in the mid-teens and low 20's anymore. Over the course, the net profits have been just over $6k average. Not bad for a hobby, and it funds my major projects.

The reason I went the TBucket route this time around is that you're basically starting with a blank slate and they can be a very simple build. This one not so much.
__________________
Sweeping the streets of PT, one day at a time.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfgang For This Useful Post:
RH (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 11,255
Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanks: 2,999
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I'm doing the cam cover gasket and porting and polishing the intake runners on my Porsche this winter. Probably going to do the entire break system too if I have the money.
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
RH (01-04-2016), Wolfgang (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,373
Rewards Points: 764
Thanks: 4,849
Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,136 Posts
View DrakeB's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I'm curious, what kind of video games do you like to play RH? As I may have mentioned once before, in addition to the day job I work for a game dev in the evenings.

For me, I like games (being a stereotypical youngster, of course) and I used to do quite a bit of writing, though I've let that fall by the wayside recently.
DrakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrakeB For This Useful Post:
RH (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:12 PM   #11
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 18,451
Rewards Points: 10,338
Thanks: 11,565
Thanked 15,366 Times in 8,050 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeB View Post
I'm curious, what kind of video games do you like to play RH? As I may have mentioned once before, in addition to the day job I work for a game dev in the evenings.

For me, I like games (being a stereotypical youngster, of course) and I used to do quite a bit of writing, though I've let that fall by the wayside recently.
That's pretty neat that used used to do writing for games. Don't think I recall knowing that before. Should put you in touch with my oldest grandson. At 14, that seems to be his ultimate dream job. But likely that will change by the time college time rolls around.

I guess I am somewhat eclectic in my game choices. I tend to like FPS games with Bioshock one and two possibly being among my top three favorites (although the action in those is a bit gory for my usual tastes, the story lines and settings were some of the most compelling I have encountered in gaming). Oddly, never been a huge fan of the Call of Duty series except for COD2, which I played on my Mac. Quite possibly my favorite game of all time.

Got into the Ratchet and Clank series by way of being able to play with my grandsons and became a fan. Same with Portal One and Two which are great puzzle games forcing you to think in really different ways.

Also like the massive RPGs. Oblivion and Skyrim being two good ones. Playing Fallout 3 right now and enjoying is since it is similar in nature to those. Though I am waiting for the arrival of a game guide for it since it is so big and sprawling.

Likely getting a PS4 system in the near future (before my PS3 dies - so I can still use it to play my older games) and will look into Fallout 4 at that time.
__________________
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #12
Moderator
 
Wildbill7145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,864
Rewards Points: 4
Thanks: 3,895
Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,471 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I used to play a lot of online poker when online poker was still a big thing. Ever since black friday, when the US got cut out of Pokerstars and Full Tilt traffic dropped off a bunch. I kind of just lost the majority of my interest in the game. It was sad. I loved learning about online poker strategies, read books about it, etc. I miss playing and keep saying I will again, but it just never happens.

I love playing live too, but getting a game going around here is like pulling teeth.

RH, how do you find the space to set up the model train sets you've got going? They've gotta take up a lot of floor space.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
stelzerpaintinginc. (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #13
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 18,451
Rewards Points: 10,338
Thanks: 11,565
Thanked 15,366 Times in 8,050 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
I used to play a lot of online poker when online poker was still a big thing. Ever since black friday, when the US got cut out of Pokerstars and Full Tilt traffic dropped off a bunch. I kind of just lost the majority of my interest in the game. It was sad. I loved learning about online poker strategies, read books about it, etc. I miss playing and keep saying I will again, but it just never happens.

I love playing live too, but getting a game going around here is like pulling teeth.

RH, how do you find the space to set up the model train sets you've got going? They've gotta take up a lot of floor space.
Had one going since I was a kid. This version started at our previous home in one half of a pole building/shop which I finished off with heat and good lighting. When we moved, the layout was in four sections and remained that way for the first three years we were in our present home. Would love to say I had a big basement space here for an extensive layout, but no. But I do have one of the three downstairs bedrooms where it is now set up and functioning. Still leaves us with two spare bedrooms downstairs and the master upstairs so space wise we are good. Except it does fill up that room pretty well so I needed to install hatchways in the layout in order to access all of it.
__________________
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx

Last edited by RH; 01-04-2016 at 03:32 PM..
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 11,255
Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanks: 2,999
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

And I may re-gear my transmission if I get bored.
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
RH (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Central Florida/Mount Dora
Posts: 2,330
Thanks: 4,778
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,272 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I try and play my drums at least once a week. Here in Florida there isn't a "change of seasons." It's more like Summer from April through November, Fall from November through March. Winter? What is Winter? So far we've had a total of 2 days that started out in the mid to upper forties and that's it. So it's always indoor season here, as long as you have an air conditioner to make it bearable.
__________________
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
SemiproJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SemiproJohn For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (01-05-2016), Rbriggs82 (01-04-2016), RH (01-04-2016), slinger58 (01-04-2016), stelzerpaintinginc. (02-03-2016), Wolfgang (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #16
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 18,451
Rewards Points: 10,338
Thanks: 11,565
Thanked 15,366 Times in 8,050 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiproJohn View Post
I try and play my drums at least once a week. Here in Florida there isn't a "change of seasons." It's more like Summer from April through November, Fall from November through March. Winter? What is Winter? So far we've had a total of 2 days that started out in the mid to upper forties and that's it. So it's always indoor season here, as long as you have an air conditioner to make it bearable.
Had to stay home today and work in my shop. Light snowfall here yesterday morning and then freezing rain came in on top of it for most of the rest of the day. Everything was closed down around here as a result.

The big, four wheel drive truck guys can often be the worst since too many of them seem to feel that they can navigate around just fine in ice. Idiots.

Not even safe to walk in it. A buddy of mine went out this morning to get his paper, slipped, fell, and broke his hip.
__________________
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (01-05-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Central Florida/Mount Dora
Posts: 2,330
Thanks: 4,778
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,272 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Had to stay home today and work in my shop. Light snowfall here yesterday morning and then freezing rain came in on top of it for most of the rest of the day. Everything was closed down around here as a result.

The big, four wheel drive truck guys can often be the worst since too many of them seem to feel that they can navigate around just fine in ice. Idiots.

Not even safe to walk in it. A buddy of mine went out this morning to get his paper, slipped, fell, and broke his hip.
I wouldn't last very long in Northern climates, as I've no experience dealing with snow, ice, etc. I've been seeing the flooding in Missouri, generally bad weather in many states. I feel fortunate to be where I am, in spite of the relatively low wages, lack of interesting scenery, and the huge influx of snowbirds (snowflakes I call them). This time of year the driving can be dodgy with all the people on the road unfamiliar with just where it is they are trying to go.
__________________
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
SemiproJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delete this account
Posts: 8,761
Rewards Points: 250
Thanks: 4
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Assuming many of you have a little slower schedule during the winter months, what do you do to fill any spare time you might have?

I enjoy playing video games more than I should so I try and balance that with working on my model railroad. Going to be completing a new small town section this year starting with some structures I have been working on for a period of time. Now that that a core of buildings are ready for placement, roads will go in, then trees and undergrowth. Details and figures will be last. Will never be "done" with the layout since there are always ways to improve and change what has been built before. Included a few pics of the town structures going in and a few random shots from other spots on the layout.

Both of these are only things I do when the weather outside is frightful and doing inside stuff is delightful. And if I have no place to go.
About 20 years ago I had a massive train layout. HO & O scales. I had roughly 50- 4x8 sheets of plywood, multi level layout.

HO scale I had about 100 engines, well over 1,000 cars, tons of landscaping and buildings. I had steam engines as well.

O scale I had close to 75 cars and 5 engines. Not much else.

Track I don't know but I spent 2 grand alone on it.

I was more into the detailing them then using them.


Now I play XBox either Forza or Dirt.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,373
Rewards Points: 764
Thanks: 4,849
Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,136 Posts
View DrakeB's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I used to work on my R/C cars when I wasn't outside racing them; I've since gotten out of the hobby and sold all of my cars. Tell you what, though, that is a hella fun hobby. I started out with a pretty basic (pretty much the lowest end possible for the serious ones) truck and just went out to my local hobby track and raced it a bit. Found myself enjoying it, and over the years I just upgraded that truck. Used a dremel tool to cut bits and pieces off to make it lighter. Replaced almost every single part on there. You can get crazy into it. Weight of oil in the shocks, stiffness of springs. Camber of wheels. By the time I got a serious racing truck, my old beater was tearing up the track and beating the snot out of much better cars. I found myself coming out ahead of even some semi-pros (guys who traveled track to track with a trailer and ****! For RC cars!) on a good day.

Took up too much time and money to stick with, though. I kinda wish I had- it was one of the few things I had in common with my father at the time.
DrakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Steve Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CO
Posts: 7,225
Rewards Points: 673
Thanks: 6,754
Thanked 6,023 Times in 3,176 Posts
View Steve Richards's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I have a hobby, but apparently I'm not allowed to talk about it on PT.

..actually I have two. But I probably shouldn't talk about that one either.

Nice train set, RH
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Steve Richards For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (01-05-2016), PRC (01-05-2016), SemiproJohn (01-05-2016), slinger58 (01-05-2016), Wolfgang (01-05-2016)
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Ways Do You Focus On Your Business During Slow Season? Cricket General Painting Discussion 21 12-20-2015 01:02 PM
About The T-Shirt Store For The Holiday Season! Cricket PaintTalk.com News 6 12-15-2015 04:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com