Positivity out of pandemics - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Paint Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree50Likes

Old 04-16-2020, 11:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 210
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default Positivity out of pandemics

I know that the past several weeks have sucked from a business perspective, but maybe there's a little bit of lemonade to be made from the lemons.

My daughter turned 17 today (17 months). The past few weeks are the most amount of time that I've ever spent with her on a day to day basis. We get up in the morning around 7, have breakfast (she usually wants waffles, bananas, yogurt and blueberries). Unfortunately, the fresh berries aren't available at the moment, but we make do. In a couple of weeks, my blueberry bushes should be producing some.

Then, we have to go into the living room and read books for several hours. It's taxing from an adult perspective to read and re-read the same book several times, but she loves it.

After all this, she usually demands a rendition or two of 'the itsy bitsy spider." We have fun and laugh and she goes and 'cooks' up some lunch in her play kitchen. We play on the couch and look out the windows to see what's going on in the world; usually not too much, but we've seen some random cats and birds around.

After all this, it's about nap time, so we go upstairs and read a story. She's been really fond of the Easter Bunny, so we have some bunny statues and pictures around. In one of her books, the rabbits 'sniff' and she's taken to sniffing whenever she see's a rabbit or a picture of one.

When nap-time is over, it's almost a lather, rinse and repeat.

In normal times, my wife takes the baby (toddler now, I guess) to her office. We set up a nursery there and we had a nanny that looked after her from 9-5. I usually was out of the house early and returned late, so I was missing all of the growth and development that I'm seeing now. I think she has gained almost a full set of teeth in the short time that we've been stuck at home!

It really sucks not to be able to be working, but for me personally, it's been an opportunity to connect with my daughter that I never would have had. I think that we've forged a closer bond, and that is priceless. I was actually not that peeved when my lumberyard rescheduled a decking delivery for tomorrow due to lack of drivers.

I'll get to spend a few more days playing and reading books.
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ParamountPaint For This Useful Post:
Brushman4 (04-17-2020), jennifertemple (04-17-2020), Repaint Florida (04-20-2020), RH (04-17-2020), Wildbill7145 (04-19-2020), Wolfgang (04-17-2020)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2020, 02:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,282
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

You'll look back on this time as a period of uncertainty but you've realized the true essence of being a father is much more important than this hopefully short term situation we find ourselves in.

I have also experienced time at home with my two beautiful daughters when they were very young caused by sporadic downturns in the economy, and honestly they cemented the fact that nothing can replace spending time with them at this time of their lives.

Let's hope that this time of great despair will lead to a better future of prosperity for all of us.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #3
RH

Rewards Points: 7,090
Thanked 15,560 Times in 8,204 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

By far, the hardest thing for Jan and I has been not being able to get together to hold, hug, and play with our youngest grandson, turned 15 months yesterday. FaceTime helps and is far better than a plain phone call but...
Wildbill7145 likes this.

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 968
View Joe67's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
By far, the hardest thing for Jan and I has been not being able to get together to hold, hug, and play with our youngest grandson, turned 15 months yesterday. FaceTime helps and is far better than a plain phone call but...

Almost - but only almost - as bad was when I had to go to NY this past weekend, and it was my moms b-day (73), and I was on property and couldn't give my mom a hug... Or my ailing pops.

But it is those young years that are so much more precious. So soak it in Paramount. And RH, I'm feeling for you.

On the brighter side for me, my 2 not-so-much kids (21 and 23) are both home for a while. We had them at Christmas, but only briefly, so it is pretty nice. But those young years are golden!
Brushman4 likes this.
Joe67 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe67 For This Useful Post:
RH (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 06:19 AM   #5
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,247
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

I finally found time to renovate my own kitchen. Been talking abut it for years.
If I ever had a couple weeks off before, the last friggen thing I was gonna do was stay home and work! There never seems to be a convenient time to reno your kitchen. Hopefully I'll get most of it done before I go back to work..
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:33 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,760
Thanked 4,602 Times in 2,556 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Yep. Good friend of mine (actually the only GC I'll ever work for) has a grandson who's 4 months old now. He hasn't been able to see him for a few months now. I can see how hard it is on him not being able to spend time. They're doing the face time thing as well. His son is also sending him daily pics of the baby. It's just not the same, but for now it's for the best. It's really hitting his wife hard as well. I can't imagine how tough that would be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
RH (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
RH

Other than going for supplies and prescriptions, the only place we have gone out to is a plant/tree nursery outside of town. We had twelve firs removed from our back yard last year so we are taking this time to replant. It’s a big place and they have their checkout system devised to allow more than adequate distancing (and we have our masks and gloves). It’s a family business where I worked while in college so feels good to be able to help support them while this is going on.

So far, two new trees, three rhododendrons, and about twelve smaller bushes planted. Four more rhodies and another tree sitting out there waiting to be planted.

Bill Watterson
Old 04-19-2020, 10:49 AM   #8
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
Yep. Good friend of mine (actually the only GC I'll ever work for) has a grandson who's 4 months old now. He hasn't been able to see him for a few months now. I can see how hard it is on him not being able to spend time. They're doing the face time thing as well. His son is also sending him daily pics of the baby. It's just not the same, but for now it's for the best. It's really hitting his wife hard as well. I can't imagine how tough that would be.
It’s tough but we try and keep things in perspective. Our daughter in-law’s family all live in Maine so they’ve only seen their newest grandson once.
For us, it’s a pain for sure, but also bearable since it’s so much easier to stay in touch these days through technology. So, not really complaining (well, maybe a little).

Bill Watterson
Old 04-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #9

I've had to go to the bank a couple of times now to deposit some cheques. I finally broke down and put the banking app on my phone in hopes of not having to go but it didn't work. One of the cheques was a government cheque. Took a pic of the front and back as instructed, but the stupid thing kept telling me I was taking two pics of the front which was clearly not the case.

Wife spent the day out in the wild shopping yesterday. Groceries and gardening supplies. She's thinking this curb side pickup thing is getting some serious positive feedback. People love it. Call in your order, drive to parking lot and staff load up your vehicle. No need to go in the store or deal with other customers. I haven't been to the paint shop in ages so I have yet to experience this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:29 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,482
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
I've had to go to the bank a couple of times now to deposit some cheques. I finally broke down and put the banking app on my phone in hopes of not having to go but it didn't work. One of the cheques was a government cheque. Took a pic of the front and back as instructed, but the stupid thing kept telling me I was taking two pics of the front which was clearly not the case.

Wife spent the day out in the wild shopping yesterday. Groceries and gardening supplies. She's thinking this curb side pickup thing is getting some serious positive feedback. People love it. Call in your order, drive to parking lot and staff load up your vehicle. No need to go in the store or deal with other customers. I haven't been to the paint shop in ages so I have yet to experience this.
We have been using curbside pick up for the past few weeks....most probably will continue to use the service after the virus passes. Love it!

....and I never thought I would love it.
Wildbill7145 likes this.
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
We have been using curbside pick up for the past few weeks....most probably will continue to use the service after the virus passes. Love it!

....and I never thought I would love it.

I'm sure the store owners are just happy to be open. The local Canadian Tire (big Canadian department store type thing) just put a $2m addition on the store and brought in all of his spring/summer stock before all of this started. They need the sales more than anything.

The thing I'm sure they aren't happy about is people not buying the other stuff they see in store. The spontaneous buys. The in store advertising, etc.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:38 PM   #12
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 320
Thanked 8,699 Times in 4,069 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

May have to give this curbside pickup of groceries a try. Wife and I went to out local Walmart for groceries. They are now tallying the number of people coming in the store. Making a big deal of how "responsible" they are being during this virus. Even making announcements of everything they're doing over the speakers every few minutes. No loitering allowed inside or outside of the store, etc..

So you get your groceries in the cart, go up front to check out, and there is one checker manning the registers. I counted 11 people in line. I glance up front and there are four of the "front end managers/supervisors", in their yellow vests, standing there bull5hitting. So much for their being responsible lol.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:36 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 210
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
May have to give this curbside pickup of groceries a try. Wife and I went to out local Walmart for groceries. They are now tallying the number of people coming in the store. Making a big deal of how "responsible" they are being during this virus. Even making announcements of everything they're doing over the speakers every few minutes. No loitering allowed inside or outside of the store, etc..

So you get your groceries in the cart, go up front to check out, and there is one checker manning the registers. I counted 11 people in line. I glance up front and there are four of the "front end managers/supervisors", in their yellow vests, standing there bull5hitting. So much for their being responsible lol.
Curbside pickup is the business. I've done that prior to virus with kroger clicklist. I just did it last week at walmart. I take the wife's expedition, so I just pop the lift gate and they load it up. You dont have to leave the car or do anything.

I left a 20 spot in the back for the fellow as a tip, but he said he'd get fired if he took it. Seems a bit harsh, but I suppose they have their policies...I was just trying to be nice.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:59 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 70
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,278 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParamountPaint View Post
Curbside pickup is the business. I've done that prior to virus with kroger clicklist. I just did it last week at walmart. I take the wife's expedition, so I just pop the lift gate and they load it up. You dont have to leave the car or do anything.

I left a 20 spot in the back for the fellow as a tip, but he said he'd get fired if he took it. Seems a bit harsh, but I suppose they have their policies...I was just trying to be nice.

Last week I had some groceries delivered to the house. A "shopper" gets my list of desired goods from my online order, does the shopping, and delivers them to the house.

Pros: Saved me the gas, time, and potential risk of corona contamination while being inside the grocery store (Publix). Some items weren't available, but I was sent texts notifying me of this and I had the opportunity to select alternative items or just refuse the charges for the unavailable items.

Cons: The shopper doesn't necessarily grab the freshest items or those with the best expiration dates. You have to add a tip (which is no problem at all to me personally). The shopper arrived at the house, got out of the car not wearing any kind of protection. I have no idea how clean or dirty her hands were, how many times she touched her face while grabbing my items, etc..

So, did I really reduce my risk of contamination with this method? I think not very much, if any. I paid more for the groceries, and probably could have chosen longer-lasting items if I picked them myself. Since that delivery I have gone to the store for groceries, and felt just as safe wearing a mask as I did seeing her bring me my goods without a mask or gloves.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:11 AM   #15

Call me old and stodgy, but I actually like going into the store and getting my own stuff. Of course, I also live in an area where it's reasonably easy to pick times/places where there's not much by way of a crowd so its easy to keep distance. I'd imagine that's not as easy for everyone.
SemiproJohn likes this.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:34 AM   #16
RH

Our big grocery we shop at has special “ senior” hours Tuesday and Thursday, 7:00- 8:30. We go then since shelves are well stocked from the night before and it is usually less crowded.

Bill Watterson
Old 04-20-2020, 12:34 AM   #17
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe67 View Post
Call me old and stodgy, but I actually like going into the store and getting my own stuff. Of course, I also live in an area where it's reasonably easy to pick times/places where there's not much by way of a crowd so its easy to keep distance. I'd imagine that's not as easy for everyone.
Okay, you’re old and stodgy. Happy now?
SemiproJohn likes this.

Bill Watterson
Old 04-20-2020, 06:10 AM   #18
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,247
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiproJohn View Post
Last week I had some groceries delivered to the house. A "shopper" gets my list of desired goods from my online order, does the shopping, and delivers them to the house.

Pros: Saved me the gas, time, and potential risk of corona contamination while being inside the grocery store (Publix). Some items weren't available, but I was sent texts notifying me of this and I had the opportunity to select alternative items or just refuse the charges for the unavailable items.

Cons: The shopper doesn't necessarily grab the freshest items or those with the best expiration dates. You have to add a tip (which is no problem at all to me personally). The shopper arrived at the house, got out of the car not wearing any kind of protection. I have no idea how clean or dirty her hands were, how many times she touched her face while grabbing my items, etc..

So, did I really reduce my risk of contamination with this method? I think not very much, if any. I paid more for the groceries, and probably could have chosen longer-lasting items if I picked them myself. Since that delivery I have gone to the store for groceries, and felt just as safe wearing a mask as I did seeing her bring me my goods without a mask or gloves.
My thoughts exactly. You actually have to be strategic whilst unloading your groceries. I fill the sink with soap and water and try to wash everything I possibly can. Bags unfortunately straight in the garbage.
This goes with Home Depot. I preordered a bunch of 2x4's. When I showed up, I still had to go in and pay and all my 2x4's were crooked. I'm like next time I'll just get my own thanks..
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:01 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 784
View Redux's Photo Album My Photos

Curbside pickup at grocery markets has been suspended by me. We’ve been having food delivered bi-weekly via Peapod, although no delivery slots are available when placing an order. The slots are updated at 1:00 AM every morning, and the only way to get a slot, is to refresh the computer screen at 1:00 AM sharp, and be lightning fast to click on the next available delivery date. If you take the time to so much as blink, you’re SOL. I suspect hundreds of shoppers by me are up at 1:00 AM doing the same thing. The time window to secure a slot is literally about 2 seconds. We’ve got a strict protocol for handling and sanitizing all deliveries.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:16 AM   #20

Quote:

Okay, you’re old and stodgy. Happy now?
Being old and stodgy, I'll never be happy. It's part of the persona.

Tags
None