scribing a countertop. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Paint Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Old 01-12-2008, 05:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500
View Joewho's Photo Album My Photos
Default scribing a countertop.

Trying to help out this guy, I"ve know for a while. A "friend".Actually, his mom cooks good italian food and she reminds me of my grandma. Lonely in vegas, it means a lot to me.

He's totally obsessive, knows every damn thing, except how to do some actual work. We go to HD and he's getting info on a counter top. I walk around and pop in occasionally to see how far they've gotten.

I understand that Hd sends someone out to measure for the top, using a laser, and they measure the base framing. Meaning the top has to come off. Then it's 1 1/2 weeks for the top to arrive.
It takes 1 to 3 days for them to come and measure from the time he calls. so, we get to his house and he's asking me if I can get the top off for measurement etc. etc. I'm telling him, it would be easier for me to do the install, in one day, rather than removing the top and putting it back on.
That's where the misunderstanding occurs. He is swearing up and down that they do the laser measurment and install on the same day. He want's me to take the top off. HD to measure, go get the top and me install it.
I'm trying to tell him it doesn't work that way. HD won't do that. He's trying to get HD to do the cutting, scribing and assembly for nothing. And have me do the actual installation.
It degrades to the point that he is literally screaming. I'm counting to 100 because I want to knock the crap out of him. He keeps screaming at me, "your're not listening." I'm totally listening. I'm hearing some cheap skinflint, ocd'er, trying to get the best of HD and me. Raising the value of his home on my back. I KNOW that's what I heard.

His mom is getting upset due to the argueing. And I just walk out to cool off. I go back and say I'll do the whole install for nothing. It's not about the money anyway. It's about being right and he's wrong. God, he almost blew a gasket. At any rate, he knows he's wrong now. I'll get paid, but I don't mind doing it for his mom anyway. she's been good to me. And this way, I don't have to try and make a deal with him. I'll just take what he gives me and drive him nuts by not giving him a price. HD charges 300. We both know that. lol.
That's my story. Not looking for advice or how to avoid these situations. Just wanted to tell the story. Thereaputic.
Thanks.

Last edited by Joewho; 01-12-2008 at 05:51 AM..
Joewho is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #2

View Tmrrptr's Photo Album My Photos

Like the Stranger told the Dude, "Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you!"

Tmrrptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #3

View Joewho's Photo Album My Photos

OMG, yesterday, HE! came up with the idea of me doing the work I! was trying to convey to him in the first place.

I know it's the year 2008, but can I punch him just once anyway?
Joewho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None