Surprising discovery - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Paint Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree17Likes
  • 4 Post By ParamountPaint
  • 4 Post By ParamountPaint
  • 1 Post By Alchemy Redux
  • 3 Post By Lightningboy65
  • 2 Post By Alchemy Redux
  • 1 Post By Lightningboy65
  • 2 Post By Alchemy Redux

Old 11-06-2019, 11:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 120
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default Surprising discovery

We were tearing off a deck today and found this little fella:
Attached Thumbnails
Surprising discovery-20191106_124722_1573099073065.jpg  

ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 12:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 120
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

He or she was snug as a bug in a rug down there. It ran under the last remaining couple boards, so we decided to let it be. It'll move out after dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Surprising discovery-20191106_125130_1573099226525.jpg  

ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 142
Thanked 8,642 Times in 4,033 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

I had some wheels and tires stacked flat and found one under the bottom one. For all the good they do, (and I do mean it), I don't mind having them around. Usually I have a raccoon or two somewhere outside the fence but haven't seen much of them the last year or so. Guess having a couple of Weimaraners pays off.
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 10:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 504
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

The animal I had to deal with the most was bats. Once did a house that had something like 40 bats behind the shutters. Not bad once you know to expect them, but the first time you pull a shutter while atop an extension ladder and a bat flys out at your face is a bit unnerving!

Bat numbers are on the decline, so not as prevalent of a problem as in the past. But they are still out there.

They called George Jones "the 'possum".....
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 80
Thanked 4,709 Times in 3,176 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Got them all. Raccoons, bats, o'possums, groundhogs, squirrels, chipminks, turkeys, even the occasional coyote and a suspected large cat of some kind (although I don't know what that may be in northern Ohio. Bobcat maybe?). Skunks, deer....it's like a goddamn zoo on my two acres! I let them all live in piece for the most part if they don't mess with my cars or house. Or there gets to be too many of one of them. One year the swamp was high because of lots of rain I had 11 raccoons in my yard. Had to cull a few of them.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:36 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 298
View Alchemy Redux's Photo Album My Photos

A few weeks ago I had hand bleached/washed some soffits and eves on a pool house I was repainting. I returned the next only to discover what looked like someone had tossed a five gallon bucket of bleach all over the beautifully weathered silver-gray mahogany ship-lap siding beneath where I had bleached, the HO suspecting and questioning whether I had an accident while bleaching, all fingers pointing at me. Upon closer observation there were bleached paw prints all over the siding. As it turned out, the adjoining pool had just been heavily chlorinated the day before and a raccoon had been stepping out onto the deer-proof pool cover, getting sopping wet with the chlorinated water, and then climbing all up and down the siding. Had we not noticed the paw prints I’d probably be held accountable.

Last edited by Alchemy Redux; 11-07-2019 at 11:38 AM..
Alchemy Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #7
RH

Rewards Points: 5,748
Thanked 15,416 Times in 8,088 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

We live in a heavily treed area and I pretty much enjoy all the animals , even the deer that will eat our flowers in the summer.
The exception are the wild turkeys. Not the type native to our area but still introduced here by the state game commission in a moment of extreme folly many years ago. I hate those things. They **** everywhere, damage cars and roofs, rip up plants, and the males can become aggressive at certain times of the year. Within the last fifteen years they have moved into our neighborhoods (we once counted a flock of 44 stroll across our driveway) with no natural enemies - for now. It is only a matter of time before some coyotes, or a cougar, coming into the city in search of a turkey dinner ends up killing a number of pets, attacks a jogger, or kills a child, and then there will be hell to pay.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #8

I had been painting some exterior windows on a brick building. Beneath the windows the vertical mortar joints were left open to allow water to shed from the drip pans. Every so often a garter snake would poke its head out or slither out of the open mortar joints. Having a snake slithering out of a wall only inches from your crotch and landing on your feet can be bit unnerving to say the least.
CynLei likes this.

Last edited by Alchemy Redux; 11-07-2019 at 01:22 PM..
Old 11-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #9

Most cougars are not going to settle for turkey...they'll probably order the lobster.
Fman, Brushman4 and Alchemy Redux like this.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
Most cougars are not going to settle for turkey...they'll probably order the lobster.
Or skip the dinner altogether and just get down to it.
Fman and Lightningboy65 like this.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy Redux View Post
Having a snake slithering out of a wall only inches from your crotch and landing on your feet can be bit unnerving to say the least.
Snake....crotch......landing on your feet??? That's just too easy, and decorum forbids comment. All I'll say is it puts me in mind of a joke with the punchline "that water is deep, too"!
Alchemy Redux likes this.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
Snake....crotch......landing on your feet??? That's just too easy, and decorum forbids comment. All I'll say is it puts me in mind of a joke with the punchline "that water is deep, too"!
I had at least a dozen of them fall out of the brick walls and land at or on my feet, some of them being a good 3’. The outer walls were totally infested with them. I felt like Indiana Jones in the Well of Souls. The first time it happened the crew bailed on me refusing to work there. I later read that garter snakes have the ability to climb both stucco and brick structures, entering the structures through open mortar joints or weep holes where they tend to hang out in hot weather.

Although they’re non-venomous and don’t have fangs, they do bite and do have teeth. Nobody wanted to risk getting bitten, especially with the mortar joints being at waist level. I could just imagine how the first report of injury would look on the WC report with one of my co-workers being bitten on the crotch and the snake not letting go, the other workers grabbing it by the tail trying to yank it off...no pun intended.
Lightningboy65 and CynLei like this.

Last edited by Alchemy Redux; 11-07-2019 at 03:15 PM..

Tags
None