Bread and circuses just got moldy - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

Old 11-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos
Default Bread and circuses just got moldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWG
I got the most votes, but was disqualified because I didn't write a bio?
Not only did I write a reaction to this issue (and it got trashed), but from Tim's post and back channel chatter, a few folks are a little less than impressed that Tim was DQ'ed for not writing a bio.

This ill feeling is not meant to diminish the accolades that Oden deserves, but it is to serve notice that some of the longest term members and great contributors feel that PT is being driven in the wrong direction.

It probably stems mostly from the feeling that Tim is one (if not THE) longest term member of PT, the longest active MOD, a person who has driven more members here than anyone else, has done more to prevent this place from imploding, has offered endless PROFESSIONAL advice, wielded his ban hammer with fairness and resolve, and is just generally well liked/respected by all.

A PROFESSIONAL who because of his work load and commitment to PROFESSIONALISM did not have time to write a self serving brag sheet for a pissant award on an internet dog and pony show was thus stripped of his chance to be honored by his PEERS from winning the PROFESSIONAL PAINTER of the Month Award.

NO, not even ironic, just sad.

No, it was NOT right to DQ Tim and rob PT members of their will.

Well at least I can say I participated on PT during it's golden years.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
cardwizzard (11-22-2014), chrisn (11-22-2014), Gough (11-21-2014), Lambrecht (11-21-2014), Wolfgang (11-21-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 294
Thanked 8,692 Times in 4,065 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Wow.....

I didn't even see any of this until now, including the voting "results".....and I use that term very loosely considering.

So many of us have been here so long and told our stories of how we got to where we are in numerous threads.......huh.

I realize that Cricket is doing what she can to get more interest and participation in PT, but this just comes across as wrong in so many ways. Then part of me shakes my head recalling when she asked who PWG and Tim was. Learn the forum. Learn the Mods. Learn the members. BTW: ProWallGuy =Tim=PWG is also a Mod on CT where you are also an Admin.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from Bill.
daArch (11-21-2014), Gough (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
Administrator

Rewards Points: 3,011
Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,085 Posts
View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos

It broke my heart to disqualify ProWallGuy. Unfortunately, I cannot change the rules which have been clearly posted since the very start of the program, no matter who that member might be.

When nominations begin, I ask folks to get their bio together, just in case. Once a member makes it to the final vote, in addition to posting the rule again, in all bold text, I send each individual a PM requesting the information.

Once the vote is closed, if I don't have the required information, I have no choice but to disqualify anyone who has not provided me with the information.

I am truly sorry.
journeymanPainter (11-21-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
PinheadsUnite

Cricket,

First, just because I feel a grave injustice was committed, I don't think less of you as a person, (as if you should care what I think )

Rules say "timely manner"

PERHAPS a "timely manner" would be BEFORE votes were credited to the candidates. NOT after the polls were closed.

just sayin

"Are we having fun yet"
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Cricket (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
Administrator

Rewards Points: 3,011
Thanked 2,595 Times in 1,085 Posts
View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos

Since members don't know if they made the final vote until it has actually begun, it would be pretty tough to get the bio prior to votes being entered. I waited until the very last minute just in case it would come in. It didn't.

I will be nominating ProWallGuy for December.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Since members don't know if they made the final vote until it has actually begun, it would be pretty tough to get the bio prior to votes being entered. I waited until the very last minute just in case it would come in. It didn't.

I will be nominating ProWallGuy for December.
As much as I understand your logic, I disagree.

And as much as I realize you probably don't feel you can alter the sequence of the contest, I still feel I must opine. (I think we all know I am one to "occasionally" offer my opinion even though it is unlikely to be held by others). So please allow me to express how my logic sees this.

The bio is a qualification to be a valid candidate. And although I do not agree with that rule, I do accept it and did abide by it when I was nominated.
(As a mod, I also enforced many rules I did not agree with.)

Your rules qualify candidates. IMO, votes should not be allocated to unqualified nominees. It's not fair to anyone to cast legitimate votes and then after the polls close, decide which candidates qualified.

If I were a candidate, lost by one vote, but then "won" on a technicality, my "win" would feel empty. And perhaps if Tim was DQ'ed at the outset, those 9 votes would have ALL gone to Oden making him a HUGE winner . . . . or dispersed amongst the others producing another top dog. The results are totally unpredictable if the parameters were different.

Yes I know this is not a huge issue along the greater path - it is but a trifling, a small diversion from our lives, nothing to put on a headstone, but still, I think most in this country hold any election process sacred.

As I said, I had to opine

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 11-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

Myself, like I am sure others on here have no desire to post their personal life history on an internet forum for all to see especially with all the " freaks, creeps, and weirdos" in the internet world fishing for peoples personal information.
I do like the idea of Painter of the Month and some are very deserving of such accolades. I just feel that personal information should not be a pre-requisite.
cardwizzard (11-22-2014), daArch (11-21-2014), Damon T (11-21-2014), Gough (11-22-2014), SemiproJohn (11-22-2014), Steve Richards (11-22-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #8
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,600 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

BFD. So he missed it this month. He'll win next month if he writes a paragraph. I haven't gotten around to writing it either and I wouldn't take it personally if I won and was DQ'd (which makes me think of ice cream).
Take it easy y'all. It doesn't take away from all the good Tim's done here.
Reminds me of a quote "if your kids are still alive you're the luckiest person in the world".
Peace out, DT
Damon T is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Damon T For This Useful Post:
RH (11-22-2014), ridesarize (11-22-2014), Steve Richards (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 12:04 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 42
Thanked 1,066 Times in 595 Posts
View driftweed's Photo Album My Photos

Umm.. I am going to have to side with cricket on this one. She clearly asked for a bio, and did not get it. That's the rules, and she did it fairly. Asking for bio's before opening the the polls, but after nominations would result in no elections ever. Simply because the election would be stalled by the procrastinators.

It's not like they ask for your mailing address, full legal name, SSN and all that other crap. Just a quick intro to the effing voting public. If you can't be bothered to do that, then you can't be bothered to win. No participation = no reward.

Enforcing the rules with someone of such esteem shows that there are no "gimme's" with this contest, and actually kinda made a better point than had she enforced the rules on a peon (like me). By showing that no matter how "important and respected" you are, you are not above the law.

Just like with the random drawings. There for a while, it seemed as if the best post was always winning, and it truly was not random. Then comes along the last giveaway and it was proven to actually be random. Kinda gives us guys who don't have 5 bazillion posts hope.

I get so tired of losing the giveaways, and other things that sometimes I feel like it's rigged. Then, events like these happen and prove me wrong and give me hope that one day I may win something without having to kiss someones butt.
driftweed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to driftweed For This Useful Post:
CApainter (11-22-2014), Hines Painting (11-22-2014), Steve Richards (11-22-2014), Wildbill7145 (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 01:30 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,331
Thanked 1,168 Times in 635 Posts
View Hines Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Sound's to me like you need to unionize the PT members bill.

But count me out, I am anti-union.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Hines Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hines Painting For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #11
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 4,658
Thanked 4,391 Times in 1,918 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

I'm sorry for creating such a stink. I didn't mean for that to happen, i was just wondering what had happened. I never took time to read the rules and whatnot. Its not really a big deal at all.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ProWallGuy For This Useful Post:
CApainter (11-22-2014), daArch (11-22-2014), Lambrecht (11-22-2014), Steve Richards (11-22-2014), Wildbill7145 (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

PWG that does stink. I didn't vote for you I voted RH this round. My vote came down to you and RH, tough choice to make.

As for the rules why have rules in place if they can not be broken
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
Steve Richards (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftweed View Post
Umm.. I am going to have to side with cricket on this one. She clearly asked for a bio, and did not get it. That's the rules, and she did it fairly. Asking for bio's before opening the the polls, but after nominations would result in no elections ever. Simply because the election would be stalled by the procrastinators.

It's not like they ask for your mailing address, full legal name, SSN and all that other crap. Just a quick intro to the effing voting public. If you can't be bothered to do that, then you can't be bothered to win. No participation = no reward.

Enforcing the rules with someone of such esteem shows that there are no "gimme's" with this contest, and actually kinda made a better point than had she enforced the rules on a peon (like me). By showing that no matter how "important and respected" you are, you are not above the law.

Just like with the random drawings. There for a while, it seemed as if the best post was always winning, and it truly was not random. Then comes along the last giveaway and it was proven to actually be random. Kinda gives us guys who don't have 5 bazillion posts hope.

I get so tired of losing the giveaways, and other things that sometimes I feel like it's rigged. Then, events like these happen and prove me wrong and give me hope that one day I may win something without having to kiss someones butt.
Believe me, winning contests by votes is WAY over rated. I've had more than my share of victories for merit, leadership, and popularity and have learned it ain't all that meaningful (that's why I tried to withdraw from the PPOTM). I've even learned how to manipulate votes in most of these "elections". I used to think winning these things was a big deal. But I learned.

I find winning by luck MUCH more rewarding - to me it indicates a greater power has smiled on me.

Personally, I always thought the PPOTM contest should be by random drawing. And to generate participation on PT (which I believe is the goal of the contest), on a random day, the Admins would gather all the people who had posted something then feed those names into random.org, and VOILA a random winner (past winners not allowed to win for X years). This would encourage people to POST everyday. The advertisers would LOVE it.

But that's just my unconventional thinking pattern.

"Are we having fun yet"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Lambrecht (11-22-2014), Steve Richards (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 693
Thanked 6,031 Times in 3,181 Posts
View Steve Richards's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post

Personally, I always thought the PPOTM contest should be by random drawing. And to generate participation on PT (which I believe is the goal of the contest), on a random day, the Admins would gather all the people who had posted something then feed those names into random.org, and VOILA a random winner (past winners not allowed to win for X years). This would encourage people to POST everyday. The advertisers would LOVE it.

But that's just my unconventional thinking pattern.
Like I keep saying (and getting smacked-down for it)..it's a popularity contest.

Newer people have no chance of winning, regardless of how much they might deserve it.
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve Richards For This Useful Post:
cardwizzard (11-22-2014), daArch (11-22-2014), Lambrecht (11-22-2014)

Tags
None