Closed vs Off Topic - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

Old 05-31-2008, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500
View paint_booger's Photo Album My Photos
Default Closed vs Off Topic

I'm happy the site is getting a "scrub-down". And we are all behaving ourselves a little more.

But, I'm seeing a lot of closed threads that are redirected to the DIY category.

I'm thinking that if they are even remotely related to paint ... but they don't fit the "MOLD" ... we should be recategorizing them as "OFF TOPIC" rather than closing them. The worst that can happen is ... the post gets no hits and floats to the very bottom of the list for NEW POSTS.

I believe there are a lot of real smart people here, and one of the greatest assets they posess it "product knowledge".

There are many different painting professions. I would love to explore all facets of the industry.

Example:

The factory worker who makes those corn hole games. (He might stumble across this site.) He deals with paint every day, and may be able to share some insite on what type of paint he is using, the processes he uses to apply it, or may be looking for an idea to aproach his bosses with to better the product. The advice from all the smart people here could help change the "CORN-HOLE" industry. I know it sucks when the sun goes down and we need to stop tossing our bean bags ... glow in the dark paint is a great idea! We have the resourses to help!

And, the tire rim guy ... someone paints those things before they hit the market. I've used many metalic paints as a faux finish.

Any way ... maybe it's just me, but the site is called PAINT TALK ... not profesionalswhopainthousestalk. We could use more "smash-mouth" BS monitoring ... but the areas of expertise regarding the chemicals we use could be expanded a bit to include many of these "off-topic" subjects.

If you guys are giving an estimate to a potential client, and see the corn hole game in their garage, or an old car he is working on that has rusty rims, or a chipped hommel figurine ... you could tell him ...

"You know, a little of this product or that product would help you out with those things."

They would realize that you realy know your stuff when it came to paint! It's not just DIY ... it's product knowledge!

booger.
paint_booger is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2008, 11:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Paint Booger

This is obviously an issue that you are passionate about.

There havent been many closed threads. I have seen about two in a month, and seen you protest and question each. The simple solution would be for you to go hang out in the DIY area and brainstorm with people on those types of topics and then come back and share any nuggets of insight you can glean from that.

Also, I know your position in the paint industry is different from many of the contractors/business owners here. I may be wrong in my belief that business owners who are spending time with homeowners on estimates are probably not interested in spending more time advising homeowners on paint issues with their corn hole games and car rims. Those are cans of worms we try to avoid, and thats not where we need to be demonstrating our expertise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post
Paint Booger

This is obviously an issue that you are passionate about.

There havent been many closed threads. I have seen about two in a month, and seen you protest and question each. The simple solution would be for you to go hang out in the DIY area and brainstorm with people on those types of topics and then come back and share any nuggets of insight you can glean from that.

Also, I know your position in the paint industry is different from many of the contractors/business owners here. I may be wrong in my belief that business owners who are spending time with homeowners on estimates are probably not interested in spending more time advising homeowners on paint issues with their corn hole games and car rims. Those are cans of worms we try to avoid, and thats not where we need to be demonstrating our expertise.
Vermont ...

While I enjoy your very one sided (yet, obviously well educated) rhetoric at PAINT TALK, I have a difference of opinion about your views concerning many issues. This is one.

Please, don't get me wrong ... I love the personality you bring here with the eliquent pokes and jabs you deliver! And I compliment you on your being a master of the writen English language! Only you can put so many to shame with text. KUDOS! You give this forum a third dimension. Thank you!

But, my premise is not to keep the threads under "GENERAL", rather to move them to "OFF TOPIC" in leu of CLOSING them.

Being knowlegeable in all aspects of the chemicals we use is vital to the industry as a whole in many, many ways! Advertising ones product savvy while selling a job can help a few ... perhaps not you ... but maybe a few.

And, honestly, no one is stopping you from ignoring the threads that don't intrest you. ALL PAINT intrests me.

Again ... thank you for your opinion. I stand on my simple beliefs that PAINT IS PAINT!

booger

Last edited by paint_booger; 05-31-2008 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: spelling ... gramar ... fragmented sentences ... conceptual deviation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2008, 12:58 PM   #4

[quote=paint_booger;27022]Vermont ...

While I enjoy your very one sided (yet, obviously well educated) rhetoric at PAINT TALK,

You give this forum a third dimension. Thank you!

Booger...this is classic of how you talk yourself right in circles

Being knowlegeable in all aspects of the chemicals we use is vital to the industry as a whole in many, many ways!

I did not know that any segment of our membership was involved in painting corn hole games or car rims. Perhaps you are more of a man of the people on painttalk than I am.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:05 PM   #5

[quote=vermontpainter;27026]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paint_booger View Post
Vermont ...

While I enjoy your very one sided (yet, obviously well educated) rhetoric at PAINT TALK,

You give this forum a third dimension. Thank you!

Booger...this is classic of how you talk yourself right in circles

Being knowlegeable in all aspects of the chemicals we use is vital to the industry as a whole in many, many ways!

I did not know that any segment of our membership was involved in painting corn hole games or car rims. Perhaps you are more of a man of the people on painttalk than I am.
Maybe I am more of a man of ALL PAINTERS! Not just the East Coast view of the painting industry. We are from all walks of life here. While the CROW has his rural point of view ... so does the Hampton Primadona. I value ALL points of view at this forum! Including yours!

Thank you for yours! Let's hear all the views! That's my stance.

booger.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
"Member"

Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

I'm just thankful the guy who used to post nothing but post Smilies or self praise is now finally taking a stand to help all those High School kids who want to trick out their ride with painted rims.
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:12 PM   #7

NEPS ... thanks for the "HIGH-5" and JAB at the same time. A back-handed compliment ... but ty.
I love your silly nonseense too!
pb

Last edited by paint_booger; 05-31-2008 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: symantics ... the spelling of my editing word ... "sementics" ... for vermont's sake.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
"Member"

Quote:
I'm happy the site is getting a "scrub-down". And we are all behaving ourselves a little more.

Could this have something to do with the fact that you have only posted twice since your garbage thread was shut down? You really bring out the best in people. I was hoping you and ch!pster where golfing together.

Maybe you could IM some of your Chicago buddies to chime in against us East Coaster's because after all ....it is just the East Coaster's that dont like you.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #9

[quote=paint_booger;27032]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post

Maybe I am more of a man of ALL PAINTERS! Not just the East Coast view of the painting industry.booger.
Booger

I think you have created some sort of regional division in your head. Speaking just for me, many of my best contacts and collaborations on here are with people from: Canada, Texas, Pennsylvania, Florida, etc...Whatever your baggage is about east coast painters, try to lose it. I am in about as rural a market as there is.

The people coming in with first post questions about corn hole, painting rims, and glow in the dark paint are not painters. Not even under your definition of paint is paint and ALL PAINTERS welcome. These people are not painters, and unfortunately, this is a forum for professional painters.
I do believe that you have a lot of knowledge and experience in the paint industry, as evidenced by some of your posts. Why you push the envelope for the gray area of irrelevant content is what I dont get. There are enough important issues that we all need to be looking at right now.

Again, it may be a function of you being in a different role in the paint industry than many of us. Think back to the days before your divorce when you owned a business and you were running 30 employees. You would not be sitting here pushing for corn hole discussion. Even so, when you are talking legitimate painting topics, you have some great input.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
"Member"

Quote:
NEPS ... thanks for the "HIGH-5" and JAB at the same time. A back-handed compliment ... but ty.
I love your silly nonseense too!
pb
i dont see a compliment in there
Old 05-31-2008, 02:24 PM   #11

Vermont:"Why you push the envelope for the gray area of irrelevant content is what I dont get."

Irrelevent to whom? Surely not all visitors to the site! Perhaps to you; but, relax ... an ocasional thread won't hurt you. Let them float to the depths of unanswered threads in the OFF TOPIC ... like "how much do I weigh" should.

Questions about PAINT is PAINT TALK!

booger.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:27 PM   #12

View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

Boog, with all the respect in the world and I'm not trying to offend you on this but, didn't you say you were going away for just this reason? Why are you bringing this up again when you were told it would never happen here on painttalk?

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Vermont:"Why you push the envelope for the gray area of irrelevant content is what I dont get."

Irrelevent to whom?

Questions about PAINT is PAINT TALK!

booger.
Irrelevant to the purpose of this forum. Go to page one and see who this place is defined as serving.

Residential and commercial painting, boog. We turn away artists and other types of painters all the time.

Before your time, we had a guy here named Ch!pster who, like you, disagreed with the policies and direction of Painttalk. Like you, he enjoyed focusing on off the wall nonsense and never contributed anything of value for the pro painter. After he was banned, he went off and started his own forum which sees mostly crickets and tumbleweed for traffic. Maybe you should take your off-topic idea and go see what you can do with it! You are way smarter than Ch!pster, but not quite as funny.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #14
"Member"

It just amazes me that the same guy that was posting 40 times a day with one liners and smilies so he could get a free t-shirt is now worried about the integrity of this site. I agree that any post pertaining to paint should be left to fall into the basement on its own, but there must also be a filter set in place (mod's) to eliminate or redirect posts from DIY'ers looking for a quick answer to fix their needs. If you want to help the public why not join a DIY forum and proclaim yourself as the Guru and answer all the questions you like?
Old 05-31-2008, 02:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPS.US View Post
If you want to help the public why not join a DIY forum and proclaim yourself as the Guru and answer all the questions you like?
Thats a great idea. Paintguru.com. Its probably easier for Boog to just do hit and run crap-stirring on existing forums than to create something himself that might contribute to the paint industry.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPS.US View Post
It just amazes me that the same guy that was posting 40 times a day with one liners and smilies so he could get a free t-shirt is now worried about the integrity of this site. I agree that any post pertaining to paint should be left to fall into the basement on its own, but there must also be a filter set in place (mod's) to eliminate or redirect posts from DIY'ers looking for a quick answer to fix their needs. If you want to help the public why not join a DIY forum and proclaim yourself as the Guru and answer all the questions you like?
He was told by a MOD that this type of activity will never happen yet, he continues to push and push.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:39 PM   #17

Boog, you have no respect for this forum and the MODS. How do you expect any of us to respect you?????

Old 05-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhag View Post
Boog, with all the respect in the world and I'm not trying to offend you on this but, didn't you say you were going away for just this reason? Why are you bringing this up again when you were told it would never happen here on painttalk?
Being asked to go away by the "PAINTCHAT" crowd only urges me further to try to be part of the solution rather than the problem at PAINTTALK. Let's get relevent!

And, no ... I posed the question, "Maybe I should just leave the site to the East coast guys?"

My factiousness must have alluded your conceptions. I appologise for you, for your misconceptions, to all who have read them. I hope our future misinterpretations of my writen word are as genuine. Good painting my friend.

Back to the subject ... OFF TOPIC VS CLOSED...

Last edited by paint_booger; 05-31-2008 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: cause i do that kind of thing.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Being asked to go away by the "PAINTCHAT" crowd only urges me further to try to be part of the solution rather than the problem at PAINTTALK. Let's get relevent!

And, no ... I posed the question, "Maybe I should just leave the site to the East coast guys?"

My factiousness must have alluded your conceptions. I appologise for you, for your misconceptions, to all who have read them. I hope our future misinterpretations of my writen word are as genuine. Good painting my friend.

Back to the subject ... OFF TOPIC VS CLOSED.
Ok smackass, why do you continue to take this topic and run with it when you were told that this type of activity will not be tolerated here on paintalk?

Old 05-31-2008, 02:58 PM   #20

I Love you guys!
ALL of you are awesome in your own peculure ways.
It adds flavor to the forum. Even the ignorant blurbs like this ... AWESOME!
A little like the taste in the back of your throat when you wake up in the morning ... it has that jene se qua flavor to it.

ADDRESS THE ISSUE! and stop with the BS!

Simply agree or disagree ... and as far as I'm concerned ... let the moderators decide.

Tags
None