Puppies and Trolls - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

Old 12-31-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos
Default Puppies and Trolls

As of late, I've noticed some threads that could be judged ...... well.... useless, innane, and immature, for lack of better and more sensitive descriptions. And I've notice a lot of people responding to said threads indicating their lack of appreciation of these threads. And then there are insults back and forth and apparently feelings get hurt.

It appears to me that a lot of these threads are attention getters, and although nothing is in them that break the rules, they are trolls.

May I make some suggestions for the start of the new year?

A) If you feel you need some attention and a desperate urge to initiate threads that are useless, please don't. Sure we all throw out a little fluff now and then, but not three, four, five times a day.

Ya know, we all love little puppies that jump up and down crying out to be patted, but we also can't wait for those little pups to grow into mellow, mature, and useful dogs.

B) If you read a thread that you have no use for, please move on. Resist the temptation of feeding the troll. Feeding trolls only makes them want more.

Again, like the puppy. How do you a train a puppy NOT to beg at the dinner table? You do NOT give him scraps off your plate. You IGNORE him.

I think if we all try a little harder, we all can be useful members of this wonderful community.

Peace. And have a HAPPY and PROFITABLE New Year.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
Michigan11 (12-31-2010), NEPS.US (12-31-2010), Rcon (12-31-2010), RCP (12-31-2010), Schmidt & Co. (12-31-2010), Workaholic (12-31-2010)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

That is a noble sentiment, but this is the time of year where many of us go stir crazy and can't resist feeding the beast. I'd rather be slapping paint on the wall, but until next week this (and the gym, which I am too sore from) are my only outlets.

For you though, I'll try to mellow out.
bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
Michigan11 (12-31-2010)
Old 12-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
PinheadsUnite

Thanks BB,

But I hope the request is taken to heart by the source, even more than by those that draw from the well.

Now get outside and get some fresh air. We all go stir crazy this time of year, but don't worry the official cabin fever month is only 32 short days away.

"Are we having fun yet"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (12-31-2010), Michigan11 (12-31-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150
View bigjeffie61520's Photo Album My Photos

i see threads go a little south, with guys chiming in 4comic effect, all in fun as they kid each other, but kind of an olde boys inside joke routine.

the OP is forgotten, or belittled for betraying the plight of the novice but paid member

i need you guys, as there is no school i know of 4 painters. you say work 4 a pro, but the pro pays 10-14 in this economy.

there a long timers getting 20 or more, but a lot of good painters @ 15-20.

i am still learning, but i do much better on my own, and work less for the $.

i lurk and learn, but why is it ok to close a thread 4 a simple but legit question, while regulars go on about peripheral inanity?

thanks for the note Bill. I respect who you are, and what you do
bigjeffie61520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
In and Out painter

Rewards Points: 75
View Ardee's Photo Album My Photos
Default Trolls and Pups

Na.

Slam the trolls, spank the puppies. Send them off with their tail between their legs. Some members on this site have unparallelled talent when it comes to giving attention seekers attention. I find this talent entertaining. I do move on when the slamming carries on but I usually tinkle myself laughing first.
Ardee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ardee For This Useful Post:
Michigan11 (12-31-2010)
Old 12-31-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,614
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,863 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeffie61520 View Post
i see threads go a little south, with guys chiming in 4comic effect, all in fun as they kid each other, but kind of an olde boys inside joke routine.

the OP is forgotten, or belittled for betraying the plight of the novice but paid member

i need you guys, as there is no school i know of 4 painters. you say work 4 a pro, but the pro pays 10-14 in this economy.

there a long timers getting 20 or more, but a lot of good painters @ 15-20.

i am still learning, but i do much better on my own, and work less for the $.

i lurk and learn, but why is it ok to close a thread 4 a simple but legit question, while regulars go on about peripheral inanity?

thanks for the note Bill. I respect who you are, and what you do

Repost your question in a new thread, and I'll listen to you. Sometimes basic questions feel too basic for most of us here, and we just need to be reminded once and a while that there is nothing wrong with the learning process. Chances are it was shut down to avoid the stupid responses you were gonna receive that would have only frustrated you and not helped you anyways.

In spirit with the OP, sometimes puppies need to learn too, but not thru negative attention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paradigmzz For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (12-31-2010)
Old 12-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500
View Michigan11's Photo Album My Photos

DaArch, listen I hear what you are saying, and I don't know if I'm the puppy in this story, but I am going to take this to heart and remember to only post solid information in my threads whenever possible. Sometimes this threads get off track and we don't know where the hell we are being led to or at. Almost like a volcano exploding and then it all runs very fast down the mountain, or whatever the sides of a volcano are called. What I see as going on, is a story quickly gets turned into something it is not, by alot of sarcasim and evil remarks.

A thread I could make would be how I actually do the houses, and that would be good I think..
Michigan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardee View Post
Na.

Slam the trolls, spank the puppies. Send them off with their tail between their legs. Some members on this site have unparallelled talent when it comes to giving attention seekers attention. I find this talent entertaining. I do move on when the slamming carries on but I usually tinkle myself laughing first.
Ardee,

Sometimes I too find good talent entertaining, that's why I am learning it is better to leave those choicely crafted crusty cynical cracks to the well seasoned professionals. Additional input from us hoi poloi just diminish the impact.

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 12-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan11 View Post
DaArch, listen I hear what you are saying, and I don't know if I'm the puppy in this story, but I am going to take this to heart and remember to only post solid information in my threads whenever possible. Sometimes this threads get off track and we don't know where the hell we are being led to or at. Almost like a volcano exploding and then it all runs very fast down the mountain, or whatever the sides of a volcano are called. What I see as going on, is a story quickly gets turned into something it is not, by alot of sarcasim and evil remarks.

A thread I could make would be how I actually do the houses, and that would be good I think..
Please God NO!!!!!!! Don't do it man.They'll carve you up!
aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #10

Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
That is a noble sentiment, but this is the time of year where many of us go stir crazy and can't resist feeding the beast. I'd rather be slapping paint on the wall, but until next week this (and the gym, which I am too sore from) are my only outlets.

For you though, I'll try to mellow out.
Sometimes it is best to just do something else for a while, besides after a few years of this we have talked about pretty much everything anyway, and we still just do our work the same way anyway, but I did learn one thing from Work that I love him for.I also have tried to throw all my painters tape away and that just left me wanting and tape fix. I have tried using Arua paint but I ran out of money.I have tried using Corona brushes but then I got tired of blondes.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnpaint For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (12-31-2010)
Old 12-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaint View Post
besides after a few years of this we have talked about pretty much everything anyway, and we still just do our work the same way anyway,
Au contraire, mon ami.

I think there is tons of stuff that we all can learn from each other, and DO.

I think many have bought the privett because of PT.

You admit to not being such a tape ho

I've learned to better look at my numbers.

and I've become a tad (only a tad) more understanding that once in a great while, wallpaper NEEDS to be painted under dire circumstances, (and I'm sure BB now thinks at least 1.5 times before doing so )

No I think there is oodles more to talk about and the majority here is very willing to at least consider refining their craft by trying what works for others.

If not, all you would hear is the

BTW, put that on your speakers for awhile and see what your better half says, "Damn, there's a cricket in the house".

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 12-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 696
Thanked 8,445 Times in 4,285 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

I agree Bill. When you stop learning, your dead.....
Schmidt & Co. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #13
very senior member

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 5,523 Times in 3,391 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

trolls suck
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
Born To Be Mild

Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
(and I'm sure BB now thinks at least 1.5 times before doing so )

Actually Bill, I did a fair business in the niche of wallpaper removal last year. I even advertise on my website. In a few cases, we got the paint job because of it. (they had another painter, but he didn't remove paper)
bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
daArch (12-31-2010)
Old 12-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #15
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
Actually Bill, I did a fair business in the niche of wallpaper removal last year. I even advertise on my website. In a few cases, we got the paint job because of it. (they had another painter, but he didn't remove paper)
Now there ya go

Have any tips to make it even more profitable ?

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 12-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 150
View Jay123's Photo Album My Photos

Yeah, like in the $200 an hour or so range?
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #17

Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Hey look I'm a troll.http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slides...?1293850625196
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:27 PM   #18
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaint View Post
Which one is you, John

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 01-01-2011, 05:24 AM   #19
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 8,708 Times in 4,075 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Of course you're right Bill. Believe it or not I really do try my best to let some of this crap slide. But then along comes one or two who blatantly just grate my butt, and the urge just overcomes me. Someone needs to "slap" em, to get them on track...or outta here. Of course, alot of times with me, it is nothing more than trying to inject some humor into the situation.

Forum rules may not be broken by the types you mentioned, so I can see where the Mods hands are tied. But that's where a judgement call should be made by the Mods. My feelings are if the Mods are going to let these types continue then the members have the right to make their own judgement calls. BS is BS and should be called out.

So who are the guilty parties Bill? The types you mentioned who carry on? The Mods who let it continue? The members who respond? Probably all.......

But in the spirit of the times - Happy New Year old man.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #20
very senior member

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 5,523 Times in 3,391 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

[QUOTE=Wolfgang;181833]Of course you're right Bill. Believe it or not I really do try my best to let some of this crap slide. But then along comes one or two who blatantly just grate my butt, and the urge just overcomes me. Someone needs to "slap" em, to get them on track...or outta here. Of course, alot of times with me, it is nothing more than trying to inject some humor into the situation.

Forum rules may not be broken by the types you mentioned, so I can see where the Mods hands are tied. But that's where a judgement call should be made by the Mods. My feelings are if the Mods are going to let these types continue then the members have the right to make their own judgement calls. BS is BS and should be called out.

So who are the guilty parties Bill? The types you mentioned who carry on? The Mods who let it continue? The members who respond? Probably all.......

But in the spirit of the times - Happy New Year old man.[/QUOTE]

right back at ya
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None