Rotate Pictures - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Cricket
  • 1 Post By cardgunner
  • 1 Post By jennifertemple

Old 03-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 336
View cardgunner's Photo Album My Photos
Default Rotate Pictures

Is there a way I can rotate the pictures so It displays in the post correctly? I tried rotating it before I uploaded and that didn't work, or it didn't work for me. Is there a way?
cardgunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
Administrator

Rewards Points: 2,959
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,071 Posts
View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos

Sideways Pictures

This happens because the forum software is unable to read the EXIF data that is imprinted on the photo when you take it.

The EXIF data holds a lot of information, which includes orientation of your photo. Many programs are able to read this, and that is why you see it displayed upright in some places, but many others still are not.

This is a good article that explains all of this: https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why...ectly-rotated/

The gist of it is, the phones are designed to work like a digital camera. Holding your digital camera flat, in landscape, is the 'base line'. Developers used this 'base line' in the following way for mobile devices:

Apple users: hold your phone with your VOLUME buttons DOWN.

Android users: hold your phone with your HOME button to the RIGHT.

It's completely against common sense since the volume button is used as a shutter button, so you would think the volume button should point UP! But that is how developers worked it out, so when you hold your phone upright, in portrait, it is the same as turning your digital camera 90 degrees to the side, to take a portrait photo. Since the forum cannot read the data that tells it which way you are holding your phone, it displays plainly from the 'base line' - whichever side your volume buttons are on will be the bottom of your photo (so if you take a photo with your volume buttons facing UP on your phone, the photo will display upside down when you upload it here).

There is not currently any plugins or hacks that we've come across that can allow the forum to read the EXIF data at this time.

The only way around it is, either hold your phones the way the developers decided you should, OR you can open the photos in an Editing program (not the viewer), and save them in the correct orientation (you might need to rename them, and crop off a pixel or two, to make sure a change is recognized).

Hope that helps!
Wildbill7145 and cardgunner like this.
cardgunner (03-27-2019), Wolfgang (03-29-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 336
View cardgunner's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks I did open, edited, rotated and saved. When i viewed it it did have the corrected rotation . But I'll try as suggested to rename after and/or crop after to insure a proper save. Thanks. BTW great info on the technical stuff.
Cricket likes this.

Last edited by cardgunner; 03-27-2019 at 09:38 AM..
cardgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
Administrator

Rewards Points: 2,959
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,071 Posts
View Cricket's Photo Album My Photos

Crossing my fingers that works for you.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:18 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,055
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

If you can not get the original photo to post correct side up, another option is to open the pic on your device and take a screen shot. That has worked for me many-a-time.
cardgunner likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None