A View from my Desk - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

Old 01-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos
Default A View from my Desk

OK, I admit it, this time of year I get a little sensitive to any hints of degradation of respect and decorum. Yah, I have my radar finely tuned for "cabin fever"

Now, for the past number of months I have been really ecstatic at how well and smoothly this community has been communicating. I have heard from a number of people how well we've all been getting along, how much we've been learning, how great it is compared to a year ago.

You've all done real good. KUDOS. Moderating has been a cake walk

But today, I sense something a little different. There have been a number posts and replies that hint (to me) that people are getting those first signs of frustration and irritability and over sensitivity. Precursors of the dreaded cabin fever.

May I suggest that we all think about what we are saying about and to the other members. Sure rant all you want about lowballers and hacks. But please be kind and empathetic to your fellow PT'ers. You may not think your words are off base, but others maybe a little hyper sensitive.

And if I am wrong about my perceptions, chalk it up to MY impending cabin fever.

"Are we having fun yet"

Last edited by daArch; 01-08-2010 at 12:36 AM..
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
johnpaint (01-08-2010)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 03:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks Arch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
OK, I admit it, this time of year I get a little sensitive to any hints of degradation of respect and decorum. Yah, I have my radar finely tuned for "cabin fever"

Now, for the past number of months I have been really ecstatic at how well and smoothly this community has been communicating. I have heard from a number of people how well we've all been getting along, how much we've been learning, how great it is compared to a year ago.

You've all done real good. KUDOS. Moderating has been a cake walk

But today, I sense something a little different. There have been a number posts and replies that hint (to me) that people are getting those first signs of frustration and irritability and over sensitivity. Precursors of the dreaded cabin fever.

May I suggest that we all think about what we are saying about and to the other members. Sure rant all you want about lowballers and hacks. But please be kind and empathetic to your fellow PT'ers. You may not think your words are off base, but others maybe a little hyper sensitive.

And if I am wrong about my perceptions, chalk it up to MY impending cabin fever.

Really? I had not noticed.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 07:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,924
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

I was looking for a picture of your desk
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Mac For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (01-10-2010), [email protected] (01-10-2010), johnisimpson (01-13-2010), nEighter (01-10-2010), ProWallGuy (01-08-2010)
Old 01-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 182
Thanked 8,654 Times in 4,039 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

I couldnt agree with you more Bill except that I would've posted it in the General Discussion area as that area seems to get a little more "playtime".

Lately, I've had more time on my hands than I've had for years. Try going from 10 - 14 hour days to self-imposed half days where 15-30 min of any manual labor exhausts yourself...neither easy or fun. I could feel sorry for myself...I dont. I could take out my frustrations on others...I dont. I can sit and vegetate...trying not to.

I feel for those going through rough times no matter what the circumstances may be, I just dont think personal attacks are justified due to it. No one wants to see a replay of what occured this last year at PT, and if the members cant/wont moderate themselves then I feel the Mods need to step up to the plate before things get out of hand. (Isnt that why you guys get the "big bucks"? LOL)

....just my thoughts.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
Right!

Rewards Points: 500
View LOSTinDETAILS's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
He got me too!
"If you want to go back to a time where we were just a bunch of Serfs under the control of an all powerful king - go ahead and vote republican. And not only will we be dirt poor - we'll be paying these kings rent to farm the land." -Delusional TURD
LOSTinDETAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSTinDETAILS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mac
He got me too!
If I could find my camera under it all, I'd take a pic.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Right!

Rewards Points: 500
View LOSTinDETAILS's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
If I could find my camera under it all, I'd take a pic.
Well you have all winter to find it. In the mean time your avatar picture will have to do.
"If you want to go back to a time where we were just a bunch of Serfs under the control of an all powerful king - go ahead and vote republican. And not only will we be dirt poor - we'll be paying these kings rent to farm the land." -Delusional TURD
LOSTinDETAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

but others maybe a little hyper sensitive.
I too was expecting to see some great New England snow scape!

Personally, I think it was this 'hyper sensitivity' last summer that caused a spiral in this forum. Also to go from no control to over control from the moderation staff (hyper sensitivity) was like sticker shock. When my kids, and now grand kids, get their feelings hurt - they just get their feelings hurt and I tell them to suck it up. Now, after that if the offender carries it too far the heavy hand will make a correction in someones attitude.

Just remember, it's ok for a few feathers to get ruffled with 'some' moderation but just don't try to over-sanitize the board. MHO
NEPS.US (01-10-2010)
Old 01-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 182
Thanked 8,654 Times in 4,039 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

In defense of the Mods; they did what they felt they had to do at that time. Believe me, I didnt much care for it either, but in the end I think it set the tone for what was expected. It's not up to the Mods to keep it "sane" here, rather, it's up to the contributing members.

Nobody really wants to see some get a 30 day "time-out". Sounds childish doesnt it? But that's basically what it is. And it happened because the individuals themselves couldn't stand back from the forum and regroup their thoughts/emotions and replies. You know, when it boils down to it, we are adults.

I know some may think that with NEPS, VP, and a few of the others returning, they're waiting for "the other shoe to drop" again. I dont believe this to be the case at all. Read the posts from today and the replies; it's a whole different tone than what was last year. It's obvious that their "investment" in this forum over the years is something they'd like to maintain. You grow a business, you take pride. You grow a forum, same thing.

...and once again you all got to read the ramblings of an old man. LOL
bikerboy (01-10-2010), daArch (01-11-2010), johnisimpson (01-13-2010), NEPS.US (01-10-2010), RCP (01-10-2010), vermontpainter (01-10-2010), Workaholic (01-10-2010)
Old 01-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
"Member"

Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

I never look at your input as rambling's Wolf. Nicely said!
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #12

Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Yup, the Wolf gets it.

vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:51 AM   #13
Spider killer

Rewards Points: 772
View jason123's Photo Album My Photos

My partner gave me some advice for these type of forums he said just treat everybody like there your customer. Thats how I have done it

jason123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None