Acid Stain Mistake - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Specialty Coatings

Old 11-27-2019, 07:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
View Kphillips23's Photo Album My Photos
Default Acid Stain Mistake

Hello Everyone,

So, I helped my brother-in-law stain his concrete floor. We purchased Kemiko brand wash, stain, sealer and wax.

After preparing the floor (on my knees scrubbing concrete) we applied the acid stain and let it dry. Once dry we washed off the residue (more on my knees scrubbing.)

While I was at work today he decided to "seal" the floor with the sealer. What he actually did was apply the wax (by accident) to the floor.

Kemiko offer a wax stripper product, but will it remove the wax from an unsealed concrete surface.

We bought some and are going to try it out (nothing to loose at this point) just thought I would see what you guys thought.
Kphillips23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 320
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

G-susz! I've no idea but it does sound like a lot more scrubbing and possibly more than one go with the wax stripper. (DIYers,) Make sure you are well ventilated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,562
Thanked 9,579 Times in 5,439 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

One, steer clear of doing work for the in-laws and family members. (B) Stop watching the home improvement channel.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 09:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 298
View Alchemy Redux's Photo Album My Photos

I would try and remove the wax and just do a small test patch with the sealer, let it cure, and then perform an adhesion test per ASTM D3359 in an inconspicuous area. If it passes the test youíre good to go. I donít have a link to the test but you should be able to find it on the web.
Alchemy Redux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None