Driveway Sealer Estimate - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Specialty Coatings

Old 07-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View meo814's Photo Album My Photos
Default Driveway Sealer Estimate

one of my past customers wants me to seal her driveway...it is in good condition, no cracks or anything.....although i have done this in my own home one time, i dont have a clue as to how to estimate this job.....i dont rmember how long it took me whn i did mine, not to mention the interuptions (kids) that made me have to keep stopping.....i know what the materials will cost me, but dont know what the "going rate" is for somthing like this.....anyone have any suggestions
meo814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
Rock On

Rewards Points: 1,000
View slickshift's Photo Album My Photos

Well, first you need one of these:

Then maybe you could consider charging "The Going Rate"

Seriously, you are talking a DIY quality driveway sealing with that "out of the fiver" stuff, and if you are even considering charging for applying that, then what the professional driveway sealers are charging in your area, and how long a pro would take to do the job, has very little in common with what you should be charging and how long it would take you

I'd suggest handing it off to a professional asphalt sealer

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slickshift For This Useful Post:
Workaholic (01-22-2012)
Old 07-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25
View meo814's Photo Album My Photos

point taken
meo814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2008, 12:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150
View Wing 54's Photo Album My Photos

Guess and take it time 2 or 3.

Wing 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10
View Corso's Coatings's Photo Album My Photos

I wouldnt say working out of five gallon buckets for small driveways would be a problem...I squeegee alot of work...Ive even done parking lots...there is ZERO overspray...and no complaints
Corso's Coatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75
View Dmax Consulting's Photo Album My Photos

Meo,

If you have the right tools, you can charge about $1 or so per sq ft and make money. If you have a hydroscrubber and a good pressure washer you can finish 1000 sq ft in less than two hours. Sherwin Williams has two new water repellents that are super easy to use and work tremendously well. These products are a 40% siliane and a 7% siloxane. You can use them on any kind of masonry - concrete, brick, stone, stucco, block. No asphalt. They don't change the appearance of the surface either. You can apply this with brushes, rollers, airless sprayer and even a pump sprayer. They wont mar glass or flasing either. You just spray on and leave it. easy. The silane is much stronger but it costs more, contains high VOCs, and can hurt plants. The siloxane has zero VOCs and is "green friendly"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dmax Consulting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 156
View Formulator's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo814 View Post
one of my past customers wants me to seal her driveway...it is in good condition, no cracks or anything.....although i have done this in my own home one time, i dont have a clue as to how to estimate this job.....i dont rmember how long it took me whn i did mine, not to mention the interuptions (kids) that made me have to keep stopping.....i know what the materials will cost me, but dont know what the "going rate" is for somthing like this.....anyone have any suggestions

We're actually doing testing on these products right now. My best assessment right now is that Gardner Gilsonite is a very good product for this type of project, but of course, that is simply my guess based on what I think. (We're looking at like 30 of them and our parking lot is a mess!) Make sure that it will be suitable for your needs first though!
Formulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #8
Epoxy Dude

Rewards Points: 500
View Wolverine's Photo Album My Photos

I see that no one has asked what the driveway is made of... which matters... Did I miss that? Is it concrete... It seems like we are assuming that it is...

Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:58 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 156
View Formulator's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
I see that no one has asked what the driveway is made of... which matters... Did I miss that? Is it concrete... It seems like we are assuming that it is...

Good call. I assumed it was an asphalt driveway.
Formulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10
View Corso's Coatings's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax Consulting View Post
Meo,

If you have the right tools, you can charge about $1 or so per sq ft and make money. If you have a hydroscrubber and a good pressure washer you can finish 1000 sq ft in less than two hours. Sherwin Williams has two new water repellents that are super easy to use and work tremendously well. These products are a 40% siliane and a 7% siloxane. You can use them on any kind of masonry - concrete, brick, stone, stucco, block. No asphalt. They don't change the appearance of the surface either. You can apply this with brushes, rollers, airless sprayer and even a pump sprayer. They wont mar glass or flasing either. You just spray on and leave it. easy. The silane is much stronger but it costs more, contains high VOCs, and can hurt plants. The siloxane has zero VOCs and is "green friendly"
$1 a sq. ft.? Assuming its an asphalt driveway...youll be pressed to get .25 a sq....for $1.50-1.75 they can get an asphalt resurface

Last edited by Corso's Coatings; 07-24-2008 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: adding
Corso's Coatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:10 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500
View painttofish's Photo Album My Photos

leave driveway sealing to driveway sealers. Paint things that you know how to paint. Go for girls you can get......Nuff said!

painttofish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None