Hardiboard and Elasometric Paint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Specialty Coatings

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By kmp
  • 1 Post By woodcoyote
  • 1 Post By PNW Painter

Old 02-08-2019, 01:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View traderfjp's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hardiboard and Elasometric Paint

I have a house with new hardboard panels. It's been up for while and has a good vapor barrier. I want to prime with a good masonry primer and then roll on two coats of Behrs elasometric paint? Is there any reason I shouldn't use this paint. The previous owners used urethane caulking where the seams meet which looks solid. Hoping the thicker paint will hide the shadow lines where it's caulked. Thanks
traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2019, 08:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderfjp View Post
I have a house with new hardboard panels. It's been up for while and has a good vapor barrier. I want to prime with a good masonry primer and then roll on two coats of Behrs elasometric paint? Is there any reason I shouldn't use this paint. The previous owners used urethane caulking where the seams meet which looks solid. Hoping the thicker paint will hide the shadow lines where it's caulked. Thanks
You need to find out what vapor barrier material was used and check with that MFG. Some vapor barrier materials can not be top coated.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4
View traderfjp's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoxy Pro View Post
You need to find out what vapor barrier material was used and check with that MFG. Some vapor barrier materials can not be top coated.
Hardiboard material is being topcoated not the vapor barrier. The vapor barrier is under the Hardipanels. As it should, I just never used Elastrometric paint. I guess I will test it out and see. We get a lot of really wet weather where I am so it would be good to have a water tight seal on the entire house.
traderfjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #4
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,230
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

While elastomeric paints can be used on substrates other than concrete and stucco it is not really meant for it. Elastomerics do not breath like regular paint and if water gets behind it the stuff can come off in sheets. The extra mill thickness needed for it to work when rolled on plank siding will have lot's of stipple and brush marks.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 154
Thanked 2,419 Times in 1,267 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp View Post
While elastomeric paints can be used on substrates other than concrete and stucco it is not really meant for it. Elastomerics do not breath like regular paint and if water gets behind it the stuff can come off in sheets. The extra mill thickness needed for it to work when rolled on plank siding will have lot's of stipple and brush marks.

Not to mention the spread rate per gallon of elastomeric paint is low, typically less than half that of a good acrylic/latex.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Do yourself a favor and pick a good / high quality 100% acrylic exterior paint. Not an elastomeric.

The elasto has too much body and won't level our nicely, there's a good chance it won't give you a good finished look. Plus depending on your color, it will fade at a much faster rate.

My choice: Duration Exterior or Super Paint Exterior.

Good luck.
rufus mcgillicuddy likes this.
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:16 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2
View rufus mcgillicuddy's Photo Album My Photos

even on florida high rises they are using more latex house paint than elastomeric. if a quality latex exterior house paint did not "waterproof" wouldn't painted wood rot? most paint companies offer the elastomeric but sell their top quality latex. we have a hardiboard job painted 12 years ago with bm ultraspec and only the windows (wood) needed attention 2 years ago.
rufus mcgillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:28 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 195
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Donít worry about trying to hide the caulk shadow lines. Youíll only create more issues if you try and bury them with paint.

Everyone that I know in my market uses Acrylic exterior paints for Hardie. Iíve personally had excellent results with SW Duration and BM Regal Select High Build on new Hardie. Iím spraying 2 coats and Iím not priming it.

If the Hardie has been sitting for 6 months or more you should prime it. SWís Loxon primer would be a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ridesarize likes this.
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:07 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,424
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

Traderfjp I wouldn't use elastomeric, and I would REALLY skip the Behr paint. Get Miller Paint, kelly-moore, benjamin moore, sw, any real paint store product.... There's no need for that kind of flexibility (elastomeric) with that type of siding.

If the previous owner caulked it with elastomeric caulking or Big Stretch caulking, then perhaps elastomeric paint would be beneficial. It is overkill other than that issue.

Be careful of bridging the lap siding together. You want those laps to be able to breathe air. That's why pros spray lap siding usually.

Tags
None