Painting Doorknobs - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Specialty Coatings

Like Tree10Likes

Old 10-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26
View firstchoice01's Photo Album My Photos
Default Painting Doorknobs

Good afternoon all! I've got a house I'm in the process of working on and altogether there are 58 doorknobs and locks. They're custom and old and beautiful in my opinion because of the natural patina yet my client wants them replaced or painted.

I'm a little apprehensive but while at SW picking up some paint I asked the guy behind the counter and he suggested the Pro Industrial DTM. He then said there's no PI primer that he can think of....which is false so now I'm skeptical of anything he said. Of course I could take the handles into an auto body shop and have them paint it but I'd like to keep my guys busy. Does anyone have a product they can think of that would hold up for a few years with minimal maintenance?

I saw SW also has Metalastic as a DTM product. I've worked with other iterations of PI but never their DTM nor the Metalastic.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
firstchoice01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2020, 05:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 104
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstchoice01 View Post
Good afternoon all! I've got a house I'm in the process of working on and altogether there are 58 doorknobs and locks. They're custom and old and beautiful in my opinion because of the natural patina yet my client wants them replaced or painted.

I'm a little apprehensive but while at SW picking up some paint I asked the guy behind the counter and he suggested the Pro Industrial DTM. He then said there's no PI primer that he can think of....which is false so now I'm skeptical of anything he said. Of course I could take the handles into an auto body shop and have them paint it but I'd like to keep my guys busy. Does anyone have a product they can think of that would hold up for a few years with minimal maintenance?

I saw SW also has Metalastic as a DTM product. I've worked with other iterations of PI but never their DTM nor the Metalastic.

What is the substrate material? What kind of prep? Able to blast in a cabinet?
firstchoice01 likes this.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 10-12-2020 at 05:26 PM..
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cocomonkeynuts For This Useful Post:
firstchoice01 (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
mug

Rewards Points: 10
View mug's Photo Album My Photos

All I can think of is some good prep and the Rustoleum spray cans.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
mug is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mug For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2020, 06:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 12
View Joe67's Photo Album My Photos

If they're being ruined by paint anyway, why not just replace them?
SemiproJohn likes this.
Joe67 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe67 For This Useful Post:
RH (10-13-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 06:34 PM   #5
King Dude

Rewards Points: 16
Thanked 5,164 Times in 2,969 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

I'd just replace them.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
SemiproJohn likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 126
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

I'm sure after a good degreasing a DTM would work fine for a few years. BM Ultra Spec or Rust Scat. $25 a pop. Line them up on some carboard and shoot them with your hvlp.
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finishesbykevyn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 08:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
What is the substrate material? What kind of prep? Able to blast in a cabinet?
Seemingly steel because they're ferrous--oddly not brass. I can totally blast them in a cabinet, yes. Thanks for actually asking a follow up instead of saying 'replace them'. I mean, these knobs would easily cost $500 each to replace not including filling holes in the doors and refinishing them. Very unique.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug View Post
All I can think of is some good prep and the Rustoleum spray cans.
I tried that on a knob to my shed with some good prep, a self etching primer and a can of some funky pistachio type color rattle can. It looked great for a few weeks. It just doesn't hold up to keys and a hand with a ring on it.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
I'm sure after a good degreasing a DTM would work fine for a few years. BM Ultra Spec or Rust Scat. $25 a pop. Line them up on some carboard and shoot them with your hvlp.
Sounds like you've had some experience with DTM. I have used the BM Ultra Spec on an old aluminum sided house a few years back after some prep work. It turned out great. That's siding though, not a doorknob. That Rust Scat looks like the business! What have you used these products on?

A few years is a great amount of time to me. This is a vacation mansion situation so it'll mostly be housecleaners, house sitters and the occasional guest totaling maybe 2 months a year.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 5,796
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I looked into painting my van door handles. I was too chicken to do it, but my understanding is a self etching primer is the way to go. If you have the means I would do that, and use a cup gun or hvlp and a 3 part catalyzed industrial paint like pitt-thane or Nason or some other hardcore stuff. Pitt-thane is basically car paint. $130ish for a gallon kit, which would be more than enough to do them all. Sounds like they got the money to do it right, might as well do it right....

Not too many people get to brag about painting doorknobs...

Last edited by Woodco; 10-12-2020 at 09:23 PM..
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodco For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 09:45 PM   #11

That's a very interesting idea. I've never even heard of those companies but will look into them imemdiately.
Yeah, they certainly have the cash flow. Crap, even if it was my house and my 24 knobs/deadbolts I'd rather paint them than replace all of them. Even kwikset is easily $25/handle let alone the double keyed deadbolts. It adds up quick! Generally, this type of painting is above my pay grade but this is an old client and the 4th house we've worked on for them so I've got some good will worked up in case things go sideways. Worst case scenario I lose a few bucks and have a auto body shop take care of it. Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2020, 10:06 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 104
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Seemingly steel because they're ferrous--oddly not brass. I can totally blast them in a cabinet, yes. Thanks for actually asking a follow up instead of saying 'replace them'. I mean, these knobs would easily cost $500 each to replace not including filling holes in the doors and refinishing them. Very unique.

Blast them with the finest grit glass bead media you can find. Spray with P22 urethane alkyd (cheap but slow dry) or a catalyzed urethane like v500. Or take them to be powder coated.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:31 PM   #13
RH

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 15,595 Times in 8,232 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

What a shame they want to do anything with them other than appreciate them for what they are.
Wildbill7145 and Joe67 like this.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #14
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 126
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Sounds like you've had some experience with DTM. I have used the BM Ultra Spec on an old aluminum sided house a few years back after some prep work. It turned out great. That's siding though, not a doorknob. That Rust Scat looks like the business! What have you used these products on?

A few years is a great amount of time to me. This is a vacation mansion situation so it'll mostly be housecleaners, house sitters and the occasional guest totaling maybe 2 months a year.
I've certainly never painted any doorknobs. I do from time to time spray finish window openers with a rattle can of Krylon. I've used DTM both Acrylic and oil on doors which is pretty tough, but it would be the hand oils that would concern me. I'm with Coco on probably using a straight up oil polyurethane like the P22 or the Cornado Rust Scat Poly. That's about as tough a finish as your going to get, unless you go into a 2 part or automotive finish. You could also add a clear coat to your system for added protection.
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:22 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 58
View Redux's Photo Album My Photos

If they’re ferrous and being blasted, I’m wondering how cold bluing or blackening might work instead of paint..assuming they’re cast iron and will be painted a dark color.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:47 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 212
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

They could be powder-coated, I'd imagine. That doesn't really keep it in house, though. Any sort of coated door knob seems to start looking pretty rough after awhile. It's a hard life, being a door knob.

I'd guess the Pitt-thane might hold up the longest.

In my early days, I had a client that had a knob that was not functioning properly, so she told me to go and order a new one to replace (interior knob). I went to the supplier to order another and was shocked and appalled that it was several thousand dollars (maybe 6K, if I'm thinking right) and would take six months minimum to get. Some outfit in Italy was fabricating these on a lathe from solid brass stock and then they were sent to CA for some sort of chemical process. Luckily (for my client, although I'm not sure they cared one way or the other), I was able to rebuild some of the interior workings and get it back in shape. Personally, I'd be mighty peeved to spend so much on a knob that broke, but cost is relative.

If you can repaint them for $25/ea, it might well be moot if they need redone every few years.
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 58
View Redux's Photo Album My Photos

With ferrous door hardware including doorknobs & lock-sets, I simply just clean them up, apply a blackening solution either by submersing them in the solution or directly applying it, and either oil or clear coat them. I’ve used chemical blackening and browning solutions on everything from structural I-beams, balustrades, fireplace surrounds, and lighting fixtures, whether ferrous, nickel, bronze, or brass, each metal requiring a different solution to achieve a particular patina.

finishesbykevyn likes this.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:29 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 116
View IKnowNothing's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

What color?
IKnowNothing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 212
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
With ferrous door hardware including doorknobs & lock-sets, I simply just clean them up, apply a blackening solution either by submersing them in the solution or directly applying it, and either oil or clear coat them. I’ve used chemical blackening and browning solutions on everything from structural I-beams, balustrades, fireplace surrounds, and lighting fixtures, whether ferrous, nickel, bronze, or brass, each metal requiring a different solution to achieve a particular patina.

That must be what the California people that i posted about were doing. Interesting
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 170
View Vinyl 54X's Photo Album My Photos

I took some aluminum mini bike wheels to a local polisher he also does chrome and nickel plating. In his shop he had boxes of old antique doorknobs and hinges contractors had brought in. These things had a 100 years of paint and crud on them. He polished them up they looked brand new, no patina at all. Just new looking. It was pretty amazing all the different stuff they polished back to new. My aluminum wheels came out like chrome. If it's old metal and worth keeping it's worth polishing.
fauxlynn likes this.
Vinyl 54X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None