Permacast Fiberglass Columns - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Specialty Coatings

Old 10-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
View sbmartin's Photo Album My Photos
Default Permacast Fiberglass Columns

How do I get Permacast Fiberglass columns - Roughsawn - to look like stained cedar?

.hbgcolumns.com/products/permacast-roughsawn/#product-tabs-sections

Instructions say to use a solid stain or a paint, but the pictures on their website show a real looking cedar finish. How do I accomplish that?

"For the finish coat, it is important to use a high-quality coating. High-quality exterior acrylic solid-body stains or
exterior acrylic paints should be used."
"NOTE: Do not apply oil-base solid stains, gel stains, semi-transparent stains, or transparent stains to RoughSawn®
columns. Do not apply polyurethane or other clear finishes to RoughSawn® columns. Do not use any finishes or
solvents containing acetone, lacquer thinner, or MEK. Failure to follow the recommended installation and finishing instructions will void the warranty."
sbmartin is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 166
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

The pictures on the website look like they were done by dry brushing solid stain. If possible I'd practice on a column before it is installed and have a hose and scrub brush handy. If you don't like what you're seeing, hose and scrub it off and try again. With a little practice you should be able to achieve the look on the website. I wasn't overly impressed with the look on the website. To me it looked like solid stain dry brushed over fiberglass and not real cedar. But hey, many people don't have any idea how nice real cedar looks, so I suppose it will hold up to the scrutiny of the status quo.
Lightningboy65 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lightningboy65 For This Useful Post:
sbmartin (Today)
Old Today, 09:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6
View sbmartin's Photo Album My Photos

Thank you! These were 1/3 of the cost of cedar, plus they are structural. I just want them to look real from the street. If I don't like how they turn out, I think it will be easy enough to prime and paint white.
sbmartin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, permacast, staining fiberglass