Plaster Brand Differences... - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Specialty Coatings

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By cocomonkeynuts
  • 1 Post By MikeCalifornia
  • 1 Post By Redux
  • 1 Post By Redux

Old 09-06-2020, 11:12 PM   #1
PPD
Girl Boss

Rewards Points: 120
View PPD's Photo Album My Photos
Default Plaster Brand Differences...

Hopefully some of the decorative finish peeps will see this.... @Redux @fauxlynn @lilpaintchic @cocomonkeynuts @Jeremy T

Wondering what your thoughts are on the common plaster brand differences
(Novacolor, FirmoLux, Firenze, Meoded, San Marco, Color Atelier, Limestrone, etc)

Which do u feel offers the highest quality?

Is there certain Brand/Line u like for 1 thing & another u prefer for something different like high gloss Grassello, smooth marmarino, textured, stencil, etc?

I know many are brand loyal, but I prefer to try um all before committing & after experimenting with a lot of the ones listed above I’m kinda shocked how drastic the difference can be!

Like for instance, some offer different micron size marmarino options & seem to have a consistent grit size while others are more varied. Some maintain mineral tint strength much better than others. Then there’s those who offer natural ‘savon olive oil soap wax’ while others only offer synthetic options.

Assuming they’re all made of 100% (or close to) lime + natural additives...what exactly is it that makes 1 brands Grassello or Marmorino different from another?

Does it depend on area of italy they’re produced, quality of marble dust, age of the slake, or is it as simple as quality control?

Just wondering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Perfectly Painted Designs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Diego, CA
PPD is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2020, 12:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 20
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

raw materials and quality control are huge (and price).

Call and talk with Alex at Vasari Plaster. They're based out of Ventura, CA.
PPD likes this.
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cocomonkeynuts For This Useful Post:
PPD (09-12-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 12:24 AM   #3

Thanked 1,053 Times in 684 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

I had customers love Vella Plaster out of orange county
PPD likes this.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeCalifornia For This Useful Post:
PPD (09-12-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2020, 06:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 848
View Redux's Photo Album My Photos

As mentioned in a previous thread, I’ve been out of the loop on the plaster end of the biz for a number of years and am not current on what’s hot and what’s not, having been outsourcing the installations and not being too attentive of the products being used. When in it though, Armourcoat was probably hands down the best in terms of raw materials and quality control, their products more befitting the more modern designs I work with, but require quite a bit of hoop jumping in order to become an installer and/or purchase their products. Sorry I couldn’t be of any help.

On the topic of plaster, check out the plaster-fail video in the following link...”It’s Raining Plaster”

https://mobile.twitter.com/onthetool...011971?lang=en
PPD likes this.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redux For This Useful Post:
cocomonkeynuts (09-07-2020), PPD (09-12-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 07:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 848
View Redux's Photo Album My Photos

Very early in my career when pre-mixes weren’t available, as weren’t all the fancy schmancy decorative plaster terms which in many cases are marketing gimmicks, I’d slake my own lime letting it mature in plastic drums. When preparing the lime after aging, I’d add marble dust, boiled linseed oil, and wet olive oil soap creating my own mix. Dry oxide pigments were added for color. I remember my first time slaking lime and using a plastic bin...the violent exothermic reaction started melting the plastic. After that I picked up an old porcelain cast iron tub which I kept in the shop.

For the base or key coat, I’d use just slaked lime w/sand added, as well as sometimes adding silica micro-fibers if the existing surface wasn’t 100% sound, the fibers providing reinforcement.

I’d finish it off by brushing on some Marseilles soap and then trowel out some beeswax cut with mineral spirits.
PPD likes this.

Last edited by Redux; 09-08-2020 at 07:33 AM..
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None