Product Suggestions for Repainting Standing Seam Roof - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Specialty Coatings

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NACE

Old 08-05-2016, 02:44 AM   #1
Troy

Rewards Points: 92
Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,135 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default Product Suggestions for Repainting Standing Seam Roof

Have any of you painted standing seam galvalume? I've been asked to repaint a roof on a commercial building. Roof is about 30 years old and in good condition, except for oxidation, (which I could remove during the washing phase with an acid). Since I no longer have a PPG Rep and I don't yet trust my new SW Rep, I'm trying to at least narrow the field of potential products to spec. The roof is highly visible from the street, will be subject to all the elements, will not be regularly walked on and will not be exposed to excessive chemical fallout. Since the roof will likely be repainted another dark color, my chief concern in product selection is chalk/fade resistance.

I'm really out of my comfort zone as far as knowing which product to spec. I'm guessing an aliphatic urethane, preferably 1-part acrylic? Not really interested in a polyester or even SMP's, but I'm certainly open to changing my mind if any of you have a solid recommendation. If I go with SW, I was thinking Corothane, or if I use PPG, Duranar? Am I overthinking this? Will a premium acrylic DTM suffice? I wouldn't think it would resist chalking/fading very well compared to the alternatives, but would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 52
Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,275 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzerpaintinginc. View Post
Have any of you painted standing seam galvalume? I've been asked to repaint a roof on a commercial building. Roof is about 30 years old and in good condition, except for oxidation, (which I could remove during the washing phase with an acid). Since I no longer have a PPG Rep and I don't yet trust my new SW Rep, I'm trying to at least narrow the field of potential products to spec. The roof is highly visible from the street, will be subject to all the elements, will not be regularly walked on and will not be exposed to excessive chemical fallout. Since the roof will likely be repainted another dark color, my chief concern in product selection is chalk/fade resistance.

I'm really out of my comfort zone as far as knowing which product to spec. I'm guessing an aliphatic urethane, preferably 1-part acrylic? Not really interested in a polyester or even SMP's, but I'm certainly open to changing my mind if any of you have a solid recommendation. If I go with SW, I was thinking Corothane, or if I use PPG, Duranar? Am I overthinking this? Will a premium acrylic DTM suffice? I wouldn't think it would resist chalking/fading very well compared to the alternatives, but would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
I would get input from NACE.
stelzerpaintinginc. (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #3
King Dude

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 5,112 Times in 2,921 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Lets see if this tag thingy works. @NACE
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
Troy

From further research after reading until wee hours of the morning, I think my next course of action is to determine the existing finish. Basically, if it's PVFD, (Kynar, Hylar, etc), I could just prep with a good DTM bonding primer, followed by an acrylic DTM, (although it's always confused me a bit why they recommend primers under a DTM topcoat). If it's anything other than PVFD, I can prime with a rust-inhibitive acrylic primer and topcoat with an elastormeric.

Only problem with the above paragraph is I have absolutely no idea how to identify a 30 year-old factory baked-on finish. None. Right about now is when I'm missing my old paint reps.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

I did a big roof similar to what you describe on a restaurant a little over 4 years ago in a super dark blue color. It had some rust so I primed with Rusty Metal primer and finished it with SW DTM. One finish coat, applied @6-8 mil.

Given the "electric" blue color, I expected it to fade. It has faded surprisingly little in that time, and has otherwise held up well.

OTOH, I did another one in a dark green, with Pro-Cryl as a primer, and the same finish around the same time. It has faded noticeably.

I think the difference I see there has to do with the nature of different colorants. Green is going to contain some yellow pigment, which I understand fades faster than other colors. Has something to do with organic vs inorganic pigments I think.

The actual color you paint it will be a factor in how much it fades. I've heard the explanation as to exactly why that is before, but the details elude me right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

Btw, I have used Pro-Cryl several times on roofs and always been impressed. It has tenacious adhesion to a variety of substrates and is pretty rust resistant provided no existing rust is present. (Or is removed/converted before priming)

Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
Btw, I have used Pro-Cryl several times on roofs and always been impressed. It has tenacious adhesion to a variety of substrates and is pretty rust resistant provided no existing rust is present. (Or is removed/converted before priming)

Thanks for the insights Josh. Are you saying you used Pro-Cryl for the primer, then Sher-Cryl as the top-coat? (since Pro-Cryl is their industrial universal primer). If I end up using SW and the existing coating is Kynar, I'll probably use the Sher-Cryl as the topcoat with their DTM Bonding Primer, which I believe will hold up better than their Pro-Industrial Acrylic DTM. I will give them a lower-tier option of using the Pro-Industrial Acrylic DTM as well, so they've got some options. I think my initial thoughts of using Corothane might've been overkill, but I'm waiting to hear back from the owners regarding my inquiry to find out their expectations.

I've just read countless warnings and horror stories about product incompatibilities, so whatever I use, I'm definitely going to get a rep to sign off on it.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,154
Thanked 1,037 Times in 464 Posts
View NACE's Photo Album My Photos

I've done and specified hundreds of these. All the systems you listed will work fine. Preparation, budget, and customer expectations in addition to exposure can determine your choices. Kynar requires aggressive prep and high adhesion primer. We have used an epoxy mastic and aliphatic topcoat that his been on a very high profile roof system in Stamford CT since 2000 without any issues or fade. We did a high profile manufacturing and repair facility for 747 engine rebuild in an acrylic DTM that still looks brand new installed in 1998. Coronado/Corotech makes a very high adhesion waterborne etching primer V175 that has tenacious bond. Top coat with anything. Any of the manufactures listed products will work well, but with Kynar I may use an adhesive primer before the topcoat is specified. Call me if you want to further discuss. No Charge!
NACE is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NACE For This Useful Post:
AngieM (08-06-2016), stelzerpaintinginc. (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 09:38 PM   #9
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACE View Post
I've done and specified hundreds of these. All the systems you listed will work fine. Preparation, budget, and customer expectations in addition to exposure can determine your choices. Kynar requires aggressive prep and high adhesion primer. We have used an epoxy mastic and aliphatic topcoat that his been on a very high profile roof system in Stamford CT since 2000 without any issues or fade. We did a high profile manufacturing and repair facility for 747 engine rebuild in an acrylic DTM that still looks brand new installed in 1998. Coronado/Corotech makes a very high adhesion waterborne etching primer V175 that has tenacious bond. Top coat with anything. Any of the manufactures listed products will work well, but with Kynar I may use an adhesive primer before the topcoat is specified. Call me if you want to further discuss. No Charge!
I know you're a busy man, so I appreciate your time & wisdom. Thank you NACE!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
AngieM (08-06-2016), NACE (08-09-2016)

Tags
None