Too much texture - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Specialty Coatings

Old 07-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
View nucoat's Photo Album My Photos
Default Too much texture

Recently applied latex floor enamel on a concrete floor. Added sand texture to last coat. Everything went on well & customer was satisfied until they tried to sweep with a push broom Now they would like the texture reduced. Don't really want to sand it down. Unsure about multiple coats to "fill in" the texture. Would appreciate any suggestions.
nucoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2
View Tprice2193's Photo Album My Photos

Had to do that type job on a deck a few years ago. I rented one of those flat plate floor sanders. I think I started with 60 or 80 grit and worked my way up I am thinking to 120-150 but not for sure. Worked very well I had about 600 sqft to do. I would try with good hand held orbital to make sure it cuts down as some of that texture is very hard.
Tprice2193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 968
View Joe67's Photo Album My Photos

The only time that I had this problem, I sanded. But it was just a small-ish deck so it wasn't much hassle with a standard orbital. And it was between coats too, so no big deal.

All I could say if you don't want to sand is to maybe toss some PrimeRX on it and then 1x topcoat. The PrimeRX is spec'd for floors - even decks. And you can lay it on thick if you like (though with longer dry times - standard is 4 hrs, but I'd go with an overnight, at least). And it dries clear, so just a 1x topcoat would leave you good to go. I'd probably test an area first though to see if it achieves the desired result.

Others hear are more knowledgeable about the range of available materials too, so someone else might suggest smarter product choices.
Joe67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2020, 10:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 918
View jacob33's Photo Album My Photos

Did not have a complain but the first time I put the sand for grip in floor paint I realized it was way to much at the recommend level. Now I only put in about 1/5 of what it recommends and it works great for gripping and still being cleanable. Personally not a fan of painting floors so I dont do many.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jacob33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None