3rd story gables? help... - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View jonnythecutter's Photo Album My Photos
Default 3rd story gables? help...

okay,

i'm working in and old residential area in toronto, and starting to give estimates on exterior work. there's a S#*tload of houses that have these inset third story, peaked roofs with eaves and sometimes windows.

HOW DO I GET UP THERE!

ladder's too short, too wobbly...too scary.

what would you use? (besides a sherpa with good caulking and brush skills!)
jonnythecutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
chief bucket carrier

Rewards Points: 250
View EricTheHandyman's Photo Album My Photos

HELICOPTER

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm working on a bid for a similarly high and scary job, so I'm interested to hear the serious responses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EricTheHandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000
View TooledUp's Photo Album My Photos

An apprentice and a set of skyhooks would do.

What about a tower scaffold? If it's too high then get a price for proper scaffolding and add it on the price.
TooledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
tsevnami

View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

seriously, rent one of these. you will not be disappointed and they are pretty cheap. I rented the 42' working height one for a week for $480 and did the tall end of a barn with it and some 3rd story gables. its great, pulled it behind a toyota 4runner just fine. I wish I could buy one. And everyone turns to look at the bight yellow lift in someone's yard.
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500
View ParagonVA's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamicontract View Post
seriously, rent one of these. you will not be disappointed and they are pretty cheap. I rented the 42' working height one for a week for $480 and did the tall end of a barn with it and some 3rd story gables. its great, pulled it behind a toyota 4runner just fine. I wish I could buy one. And everyone turns to look at the bight yellow lift in someone's yard.
using a lift is probably the safest way huh?- at least OSHA would love that. Anything built now over 40 feet should just be wrapped or done in synthetic wood IMO.

scaffolding is pretty safe too as long as it's set up correctly.

good luck, stay safe man
Old 05-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
chief bucket carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamicontract View Post
I looked at one of these at my rental center. Will this tear up the yard? I'd hate to trash the guys grass in the process.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHandyman View Post
I looked at one of these at my rental center. Will this tear up the yard? I'd hate to trash the guys grass in the process.

Yes, don't use it on lawns if it has rained in the past 4 months. I have used them twice and created a few new swear words while trying to get it (the base) in the right place to reach my destination...not to mention get all 4 legs just right so it will go up and not just beep at you.
Also the huge indents that were left in the well manicured lawn.
aaaargh.

There are actually people who will climb to ridiculous and freaky scary heights just because they can. Find that person and pay them to do what they love best, works for me.
WisePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #8
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 5,142 Times in 2,800 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

The problem I have with lifts, is the tall parts are almost always on the sides where I cannot get a lift to go or fit (either trees in the way, fences, a slope hill, whatever). It seems to always come down to 40 or 60' ladders. And no one rents 60' ladders. And 60' ladders cost over $1,000.
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
tsevnami

this lift is very light. that is part of why I recommend it. put some plywood under the outriggers and you will be fine. just be very careful driving in their lawn. If you can't drive your car Bil Jax has self propelled lifts like this that are more expensive but very light. By using outriggers instead of counterweights they weigh less than half of a normal boom lift. These auto leveling outriggers work great, never had any problems with them not leveling or slipping or anything it lets you work on a slight hill.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 5,142 Times in 2,800 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

We tried a drivable lift once, but as soon as one tire left pavement, it could not drive on the grass anymore. So much for that.
DeanV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Rent a lift, use 3/4 ply where ever you go in the yard and you have to let them know that this is the only way it can be done. they can either have you include the lawn repair in your price or they can do it. If they can not except that then it doesn't get done...

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
tsevnami

I wouldn't say only . . . my personal favorite that i have done is ladder on top of scaffolding through powerlines. Really look into renting a lift with outriggers as opposed to counterweights. That is probably why your lift didn't work dean.
Watch this video on them, the guy goes off roading and through snow
Old 05-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #13

View JNLP's Photo Album My Photos

Lifts work well just use plywood & only leave it down as long as you need it. Let them know if anything happens to the grass it'll be fixed after a rain & cut or two. Never hurts to have some grass seed handy. Last I checked they were under $200 a day & a little less for half day. Better deals the longer you keep it.

Other option if you can't get a lift or boom truck is a crane. They suck in high wind, and rob you on price do to minimums on operators hours & crane hours. Much better if you need them a full day rather than 2 hours. They'll get you all around the house though and even over & down the other side.

Quote:
And no one rents 60' ladders. And 60' ladders cost over $1,000.
I see them for sale on craigslist here & there for around $300. Nobody wants them beasts anymore.
JNLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

We had to use a 60 footer a couple of weeks ago. Had it delivered Friday morning, used it all weekend and only have to pay for one business day. You get alot more bang for your buck that way. They really don't due too much damage unless you stay in one spot and turn the wheels

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #15

60 footers suck. It takes all the energy out of two guys just to maneuver that piece of ****. The one we had was 3-tiered and flexed like crazy once it was all the way up. I wouldn't go on it- hell, I refuse the 40 too. I'm not gonna risk my life for a piece of ext. trim, but that's just me.

Hopefully the homeowners will realize your safety is far more important than their grass if you wanna go the lift route.

If you end up with a 60, it's not that it's too dangerous, it just sucks. It'll prolly be far cheaper than the lift though.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #16
Lead safe

View clammer's Photo Album My Photos

Go with the lift just add it into the price of the job.I won a bid to paint an old wooden watertower later this year.I called a lift rental co and they went to see the project and told and me what size lift I needed.It turned out to be a 60 ft lift and is very resonably priced. If I had to go with a 60ft ladder I would have said forget it and not even bid on the job. That bil-jax looks like a nice machine you can get in some tight spots that you can't get to with the one you pull behind your truck.The problem is if I bring one more thing home my wife will kill me

Last edited by clammer; 05-08-2009 at 11:43 PM..
clammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #17

View graybear13's Photo Album My Photos

First thing : charge accordingly for work that high ! Second thing : rent a lift !
graybear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

Use this one. Park in the neighbors yard. Problem solved
Attached Thumbnails
3rd story gables? help...-img_1890.jpg  

3rd story gables? help...-img_1901.jpg  

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #19

now that looks like a job.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #20
chief bucket carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisePainter View Post
There are actually people who will climb to ridiculous and freaky scary heights just because they can. Find that person and pay them to do what they love best, works for me.
This is the route I will likely take, I talked to another painter who was drooling with the anticipation of dangling from a ladder and harness way up in the air. God Bless him!!

Tags
None