Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Accent wall help

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  onthecoast 
#1 ·
What makes a good accent wall?

Is there a method that works best in deciding which shades to use? A rule of thumb if you will?

#2 ·
It depends on a lot of factors. Some colors that really don't look good together standing alone can be brought together with a careful selection of furnishings (curtains/cushions/fabrics ornaments etc.). Light and the light source/positioning can also play an important role on the end result as can the size and shape of a room. Colors look different in different rooms with different shapes and light. They should always be chosen in the room they're going to be used in. Going outside or in another room to look at the color samples because the light is better is the wrong way to do it.

There are 'safe' mixes such as browns and creams, black and white, gray and white, lilac and pink and so on. You can get a lot of ideas by browsing magazines.

#3 ·
I am known for thinking outside the box and taking my clients outside of their comfort zone, usually "comfort" equates to beige or a light brown (beige).
I take into account numerous aspects of a room when I am trying to achieve the perfect accent color, so it is tough to narrow the list without seeing the room in person.

#4 ·
What makes a good accent wall?

Is there a method that works best in deciding which shades to use? A rule of thumb if you will?

No true method. I usually will try to call out an architectural detail like a fireplace wall or the wall opposite of you when you enter the room.

If you want to stay monochromatic just choose a color two shades deeper on the same color strip. One shade just isn't enough of a contrast.

I agree with checking out magazines and other resources or even get an opinion from a decorator if you know one.

#7 ·
General rule of thumb is that the accent wall will become the focal point of the room. Your eyes will normally be pulled to the accent wall first.

I personally like to stay away from monochromatic schemes. (where's the accent?)

Get a color wheel and show the customers the differences between complimentary (opposite), split complimentary (two colors on each side of the compliment) and related (shades, tints and tones that are neighbors on the wheel.

You can get a color wheel at some decorating stores, most arts and crafts store or from this link.

http://colorwheelco.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.