Accent wall help - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258
View onthecoast's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to onthecoast
Default Accent wall help

What makes a good accent wall?

Is there a method that works best in deciding which shades to use? A rule of thumb if you will?
onthecoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000
View TooledUp's Photo Album My Photos

It depends on a lot of factors. Some colors that really don't look good together standing alone can be brought together with a careful selection of furnishings (curtains/cushions/fabrics ornaments etc.). Light and the light source/positioning can also play an important role on the end result as can the size and shape of a room. Colors look different in different rooms with different shapes and light. They should always be chosen in the room they're going to be used in. Going outside or in another room to look at the color samples because the light is better is the wrong way to do it.

There are 'safe' mixes such as browns and creams, black and white, gray and white, lilac and pink and so on. You can get a lot of ideas by browsing magazines.
TooledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

I am known for thinking outside the box and taking my clients outside of their comfort zone, usually "comfort" equates to beige or a light brown (beige).
I take into account numerous aspects of a room when I am trying to achieve the perfect accent color, so it is tough to narrow the list without seeing the room in person.
WisePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75
View Painter Girl's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecoast View Post
What makes a good accent wall?

Is there a method that works best in deciding which shades to use? A rule of thumb if you will?

No true method. I usually will try to call out an architectural detail like a fireplace wall or the wall opposite of you when you enter the room.

If you want to stay monochromatic just choose a color two shades deeper on the same color strip. One shade just isn't enough of a contrast.

I agree with checking out magazines and other resources or even get an opinion from a decorator if you know one.
Painter Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500
View ParagonVA's Photo Album My Photos

Most people around here do what was mentioned above: going down 2-3 shades on the color swatch. A lot of decorators are not employing that technique much anymore around here for some reason.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
Rock On

Rewards Points: 1,000
View slickshift's Photo Album My Photos

No true method per say but...
Staying in the same family (though usually darker), or directly across from or one of the triads on the color wheel usually works best

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

General rule of thumb is that the accent wall will become the focal point of the room. Your eyes will normally be pulled to the accent wall first.

I personally like to stay away from monochromatic schemes. (where's the accent?)

Get a color wheel and show the customers the differences between complimentary (opposite), split complimentary (two colors on each side of the compliment) and related (shades, tints and tones that are neighbors on the wheel.

You can get a color wheel at some decorating stores, most arts and crafts store or from this link.

http://colorwheelco.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500
View ParagonVA's Photo Album My Photos

good advice by Bikerboy- I had flashbacks to Art class in college . I can see you must be good with your customers on that level.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
General rule of thumb is that the accent wall will become the focal point of the room. Your eyes will normally be pulled to the accent wall first.

I personally like to stay away from monochromatic schemes. (where's the accent?)

Get a color wheel and show the customers the differences between complimentary (opposite), split complimentary (two colors on each side of the compliment) and related (shades, tints and tones that are neighbors on the wheel.

You can get a color wheel at some decorating stores, most arts and crafts store or from this link.

http://colorwheelco.com/
Also Biker, I am 23 and not a liberal.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecoast View Post
Also Biker, I am 23 and not a liberal.
That quote was not directed at anyone in particular.

But, it is a fair representation of my personal political evolution.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
That quote was not directed at anyone in particular.

But, it is a fair representation of my personal political evolution.
Of course.

I actually really like the quote. It makes sense entirely.

You ever listen to WTKK out of Mass?

Tags
None