Acrylic Latex through Capspray 4 Stage - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View goodtimes's Photo Album My Photos
Default Acrylic Latex through Capspray 4 Stage

Hello-

Looking for a bit of guidance as it seems as though there are a few of you here with experience with the capspray units. I just picked up a gently used Capspray 9100 (4 stage) with the Maxim II gun. It's been a great unit so far, but I am working on some cabinets and could use some help on a tip size for the finish coats.

I sprayed the primer (very slightly thinned with water) with a #3 tip and had great results. I do have a #5 tip that I plan on shooting the Acrylic Latex with. Any guidance on whether this is a good choice and should I use floetrol or a similar product? I will be spraying the SW ProClassic.

Thanks-
goodtimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,600 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

What was your primer? It sounds like you're on the right track. I would start by adding 2 ounces water to your mostly filled quart cup and stir. Test on a big scrap of paper, I typically tape a piece of floor paper on the wall. Open your air all the way, and gradually open up your fluid nozzle until you like what you see, and have the flow and width you want. You may end up adding a little more water (3 ounces would be thinning 10%) but see how the 2 ounces goes first.
If you have to tip the gun upside down don't fill it up quite as much. You can also add an ounce of XIM extender, which I think is better than floetrol, but try without it first.
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #3

Damon-

I used the SW Multi-Purpose Zero VOC primer. Went on nice with the #3 and a few oz of water. I'm hoping I didn't go too big with the #5 tip for the finish coat. I've got a nice test set up that I'll spray first. Shooting this afternoon. I'll post an update later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 570
View mr.fixit's Photo Album My Photos

If you call Titan 1-800-526-5362 they will send you a manual for this machine. In the manual you will fnd a best use nozzle chart for all materials and it would not hurt to have the manual.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mr.fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Painting Contractor

Yeah I think someone posted that chart on here somewhere. The Titan rep came out to my job site to help with the transfer pump, and said the #5 was suggested for acrylics typically. I do have a friend with the 4 stage who only uses the #3 with everything, and just thins accordingly, but I'm not suggesting that. Experimenting is the key.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #6

Just sprayed the doors. #5 tip and thinned the paint about 5%. Got great flow and good coverage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goodtimes For This Useful Post:
Damon T (01-11-2013), four2knapp (01-12-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #7

View ruzzer's Photo Album My Photos

I hate those beastly machines. I have had a 4 stage graco for years and it has never worked right. Tried to do some doors last week with it using acrylic undercoat. Same old story. It doesn't seem to atomise properly. Like a speckled finish. I give up with it. It,s heading for ebay
ruzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Painting Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzzer
I hate those beastly machines. I have had a 4 stage graco for years and it has never worked right. Tried to do some doors last week with it using acrylic undercoat. Same old story. It doesn't seem to atomise properly. Like a speckled finish. I give up with it. It,s heading for ebay
What size needle setup? What % did you thin? What product?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #9

It was an acrylic undercoat, size 4 needle and have tried thinning in various ammounts over the years(from 5 % to 20%). Never seems to atomise properly
Old 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #10

Graco 4900
Old 01-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
Painting Contractor

Not sure how the Graco sizes compare to Titan. I think my #3 is .051, #4 is .072", and #5 is .086. I could be wrong. Anyways. Have you tried the larger setup? My understanding is that with acrylics you need more air at the tip to atomize the products, and the larger needle and aircap will give you more air. Actually a larger needle will give you more material, and a larger aircap will give you more air to atomize the product. You can use a smaller needle and larger aircap. I have had success with my turbine set on 4 stage, though I typically will run at at 6 stage. I typically run the #5 setup when using acrylics.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #12

Thanks for the advice. Will head for the garage in next day or two to experiment

Tags
capspray, latex