advice you used from this forum? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 12-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 29
View Macsimus's Photo Album My Photos
Default advice you used from this forum?

I wanted to thank DaArch for his advice on stripping wallpaper. He said that when stripping vinyl faced paper that he sands it with a random orb to score the face enough to allow the water to soak through and get to the paste. I used this technique today and it was fantastic. I had already done some sample stripping at this job (so the plasterers wouldn't mud over paper that was going to be removed, which they would have) but had forgotten to bring the random orb. Today with the sanding it went twice as fast.
This just got me thinking as to what great advice others had gotten from this site. Please share.
Macsimus is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

1. Always ask how much to charge.
  2. Ewing don't know squat and smokes dog rockets for cigars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
aaron61 (12-21-2009), KLaw (12-21-2009), ProWallGuy (12-21-2009)
Old 12-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
hopeless perfectionist

Rewards Points: 156
View Picky Painter's Photo Album My Photos

For me it isn't any one shining example that stands out, it's all the little details that you pick out here and there. I have always strived to do the absolute best job possible but with only 5 years under my belt there are many little details that I would have taken a long time to learn on my own. I am grateful for benefiting from the greater experience of all the pros posting on this forum, thank you all.
Picky Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Picky Painter For This Useful Post:
jonnythecutter (12-27-2009), Wolfgang (12-22-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Know your numbers!

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RCP For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (12-21-2009), jonnythecutter (12-27-2009)
Old 12-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Paint Store Owner

Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

I learn things everyday here, cant narrow it down to one thing.

NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250
View Mantis's Photo Album My Photos

I learned never to question Jack Paul!

Ok, seriously... this place is a wealth of information and to pick one piece of advice as 'best' compared to the rest would be as hard as picking which blade of grass is the greenest on the white house lawn. Lots of damned green grass up in here!

Although, I bet i've spent more time reading, absorbing, and applying the threads regarding business from PT.

Thanks to everyone who contributes. You help my business and i appreciate you.

Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
I wanted to thank DaArch for his advice on stripping wallpaper. He said that when stripping vinyl faced paper that he sands it with a random orb to score the face enough to allow the water to soak through and get to the paste. I used this technique today and it was fantastic. I had already done some sample stripping at this job (so the plasterers wouldn't mud over paper that was going to be removed, which they would have) but had forgotten to bring the random orb. Today with the sanding it went twice as fast.
This just got me thinking as to what great advice others had gotten from this site. Please share.
Thanks for the recognition, I am very happy my advice helped. Send all heart felt (monetary) appreciation to 127 Seekonk St, Norfolk (sorry just a little cras Christmas pan handling)

As the others say, there is so much little stuff that it's the cumulative knowledge that adds up. Two fields that have really stood out for me are web site tips and being aware of one's numbers.

We've had discussions where some think the business side is more important and some think the technical side is. But I think everyone here has benefited from the full range of tips, tricks, and techniques.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10
View Mark58's Photo Album My Photos

Here is a little something to add to this thread. I found this quote on the wall of a local small business and wrote it down to share with all when running up against low ball competition:

"It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little.
When you pay too much, you lose a little money- that is all.
When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing
you bought is incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.
The law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot- it can't be done.
If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough for something better."

John Ruskin
(1819 - 1900)

Something to ponder...
Mark58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark58 For This Useful Post:
jonnythecutter (12-27-2009), nEighter (12-22-2009), RCP (12-21-2009), Wolfgang (12-22-2009)
Old 12-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #9

View KLaw's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post

Funny. LMAO.
KLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:50 AM   #10
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 520
Thanked 8,618 Times in 4,015 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Stick with my "gut instincts".

Actually there are so many helpful and useful bits of information on this forum that it's hard to single out any of them. Some of them worked for me and some didnt...though not of the fault of the persons posting them.

I think the hardest part of utilizing them is that, as hard as I try not to, I get stuck in my ways on some things. Believe it or not, trying out new brushes and rollers was some of the hardest. Some I kept and use others I gave away or tossed them into the "box" on the shelf. (My crew likes rummaging through the box...if that tells you anything.)

Probably the biggest thing I've gotten out of PT is that no matter our differences in location, business size, product preferences, and personalities; we all want to succeed and the members here will share their advice and experiences.

Thanks to all,

Wolf
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfgang For This Useful Post:
nEighter (12-22-2009)
Old 12-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #11
Born To Be Mild

Seriously:

The things I've actually learned and use are the marketing tips and building systems for the business.

Through marketing I plan to build a lead generating machine.

Building systems will help to handle the growth.

There is so much more.

I really want to thank all the members who have shared thier tips, ideas and experiences. You men and woman have helped me to become a better business person.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 10
View Mark58's Photo Album My Photos

Here is a little tip I discovered. After washing out roller covers, it was always awkward trying to let them drain. We have a stationary sink in basement in my workshop with a little wire shelf above it. I took a regualr steel coat hanger, bent it into a "W" shape and slip the cover over the center part of the "W". Then I hang it from the shelf over the sink and let it drain. I have about 5 of these made up. Works great and doesn't cost me anything...
Mark58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
bikerboy (12-22-2009)
Old 12-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #14
Right!

Rewards Points: 500
View LOSTinDETAILS's Photo Album My Photos

The piece of advice that helped me the most is that tree fiddy is the going rate for most projects these days. Try it, it works! I have yet to lose a bid except for a door repaint. They thought I was a little high.
"If you want to go back to a time where we were just a bunch of Serfs under the control of an all powerful king - go ahead and vote republican. And not only will we be dirt poor - we'll be paying these kings rent to farm the land." -Delusional TURD
LOSTinDETAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 520
Thanked 8,618 Times in 4,015 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post

That is too funny Gabe.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #16
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,803 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
That is too funny Gabe.
LOL, I agree! I turned the volume up hoping to hear something!

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #17
Born To Be Mild

Ewing might have poor tastes in cigars (and the company he keeps) but the man has some great smileys.

Tags
None