Afraid of Heights and Exteriors - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Rbriggs82
  • 1 Post By kmp
  • 2 Post By RH
  • 1 Post By ParamountPaint

Old 01-05-2019, 10:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 154
View SweetLu's Photo Album My Photos
Default Afraid of Heights and Exteriors

Hey guys so I’m not really afraid of heights, as long as I’m on level ground in an interior. I can literally stand on the top of an a frame ladder and cut in with no worries. But when it comes to exteriors, I don’t feel comfortable on unlevel ground etc.

What tools or ladders do you use on an exterior so that you can reach all of those tough to reach places without compromising safety?

I wanna get set up this year so I can be comfortable on all sorts of exteriors, because I really think I can make more money if I take more of them.
SweetLu is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2019, 10:42 PM   #2
King Dude

Rewards Points: 5,000
Thanked 5,051 Times in 2,873 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLu View Post
Hey guys so Iím not really afraid of heights, as long as Iím on level ground in an interior. I can literally stand on the top of an a frame ladder and cut in with no worries. But when it comes to exteriors, I donít feel comfortable on unlevel ground etc.

What tools or ladders do you use on an exterior so that you can reach all of those tough to reach places without compromising safety?

I wanna get set up this year so I can be comfortable on all sorts of exteriors, because I really think I can make more money if I take more of them.
I've found there's plenty of money to be made 28 feet and lower.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 192
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

SCAFFOLDING!!! If you plan to do a lot of exteriors it is a great investment. I do very little exterior work but if forced to go 2nd or 3rd story for my best clients I'd rent a lift. I do not do ladder work above the ground floor.

In Time: "You learn that you really can endure...That you really are strong, And you really do have worth, And you learn and learn and learn..."
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2019, 11:27 PM   #4
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,400
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

Scaffolding has it's place but requires something to haul it in if you have a lot of it, like a trailer, a place to store it and someone to help set it up. A lift is great in a lot of situations but you can't always get them in tight spots. The best way is to just walk away from jobs that you are not tooled up for or don't feel comfortable with. I don't like working off of scaffolding.
jennifertemple likes this.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmp For This Useful Post:
jennifertemple (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 02:00 AM   #5
RH

Rewards Points: 5,502
Thanked 15,389 Times in 8,068 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Ladder levelers and stabilizers can help a lot in securing any ladder more safely. But the bottom line for me is any situation that creates safety uncertainty is simply one I will not undertake. What we do is dangerous enough without going beyond our comfort zones.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:04 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 100
View BrushPro's Photo Album My Photos

Stand offs, pivit ladder tool, brush extension and longest pole possible can help get those hard to reach areas even from the ground. Some ladders have adjustable feet for uneven ground so you don't need 2x4s or a stack of sanding sponges... Another person to help manage a 32 ft ladder. That will get a lot of jobs done without a lift
BrushPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 196
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Get yourself levelers for your ladders. I have three of them. They are on my bigger extentior ladders. I use rhe Pivit Tool for the smaller extension laders and A frames.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Pete Martin the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

All off my extension ladders have LADDER ACCESSORIES 600C Ladder Leveler on them. Other brands make levelers, but these are great because you can easily raise any lower the leveler with your foot and theyíre infinitely adjustable.

https://www.amazon.com/LADDER-ACCESS...S9L&ref=plSrch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 154
View SweetLu's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for the advice everyone. That product on amazon looks good. Do you guys know of those things you put in ladder rungs that sit on the roof so you can paint the eavestrough?
SweetLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:45 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 118
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLu View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. That product on amazon looks good. Do you guys know of those things you put in ladder rungs that sit on the roof so you can paint the eavestrough?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-Q...AC78/100658388
Wildbill7145 likes this.
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ParamountPaint For This Useful Post:
Wildbill7145 (01-06-2019)

Tags
None