American painting contractor article - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 10-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 26
Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,807 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos
Default American painting contractor article

Did any of you read the article in American Painting Contractor painting contractor by Victor DeMasi (i think that was the name). It was basically about finding your business niche. He did not provide specific numbers, but mentioned that painting business of 8-10 painters are the least profitable/ look the worst on paper. The really large companies are good, since they can handle huge jobs and the small companies with a good niche do really well also.

I always thought I would like to grow to a company of around 8-10 painters, since I figured it would take around that number to be "out of the bucket." Maybe around 3-4 painters and spend half the time painting, half the time on business would be better.

I would rather build a crew on repaints, but it seems like new construction would be essential to running a crew.

Right now, I run a summer crew (4 or 5 guys) and have one year round employee and am trying to figure out where to go next.

Any thoughts?
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
View Tmrrptr's Photo Album My Photos

Sounds like DeMasi is a smart guy.
r
Tmrrptr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tmrrptr For This Useful Post:
jimmyoverspray (05-02-2012), mike75 (04-29-2012)
Old 10-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #3

View painttofish's Photo Album My Photos

Dean, I run a similar size crew out of Traverse City. Never had a larger company, but I have talked to other painters who have said similar things like demasi
painttofish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to painttofish For This Useful Post:
mike75 (04-29-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250
View Humble Abode's Photo Album My Photos

What issue is it in? Volume and issue number.
Humble Abode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150
View NuView Painting's Photo Album My Photos

it makes alot of sense...im trying to find my niche right now..getting rid of a partner turned pillhead
NuView Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 AM   #6
Paint to fish

Humble Abode, it is in the Aug./Sept. 2007, Vol. 84 No.7
Old 04-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 244
View salmangeri's Photo Album My Photos

I know this post is old and the economy was most likely up when it was written but I think growing a business or finding a niche in the contractor business is something that takes time....years infact....well for me anyway.....I have been at it almost 30 years and still have a small crew.....the guys that have mega crews and bid mega jobs....well I personally couldn't handle all the stress that comes with that territory.....I've been able to carve out a small niche over the past 30 years in repaints and wallpapering........I feel fortunate to be in this situation as the guys who mostly relied on new work are no longer in business in my area....

and since I am sharing my two cents here I will add this tidbit... it's not enough to just do excellent work as some people think.......just as important is customer service.....the term " the customer is always right" is something I try to strive for in business.....my goal is not strictly to be in business but to STAY in business....and customer service is extremely important for the long haul......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
salmangeri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salmangeri For This Useful Post:
Kevo in Bama (04-29-2012), NEPS.US (04-29-2012), sendit6 (04-30-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
Paint to fish

Hmmm. Now I need to decide if I feel like a failure for where I am at 5 years later or doing OK given my aspirations in the OP.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #9
"Member"

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos

Victor isn't too far off with that article. I could write a book of do's and dont's.
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #10

View MonPeintre.ca's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV
Humble Abode, it is in the Aug./Sept. 2007, Vol. 84 No.7
Do you have a link?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Residential and commercial painters in Montreal
MonPeintre.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPS.US View Post
Victor isn't too far off with that article. I could write a book of do's and dont's.
If you give me a free copy, I'll write a review of it.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 250
View Roadog's Photo Album My Photos

http://www.monarchpainting.net/index.html

He is a decorative painter in CT. Not sure his facts all cross over to general painting. I do know he makes some of his money by writing lots of articles. Books, mags etc.

Roadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #13
The Lurker

Rewards Points: 2,000
View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
Did any of you read the article in American Painting Contractor painting contractor by Victor DeMasi (i think that was the name). It was basically about finding your business niche. He did not provide specific numbers, but mentioned that painting business of 8-10 painters are the least profitable/ look the worst on paper. The really large companies are good, since they can handle huge jobs and the small companies with a good niche do really well also.

I always thought I would like to grow to a company of around 8-10 painters, since I figured it would take around that number to be "out of the bucket." Maybe around 3-4 painters and spend half the time painting, half the time on business would be better.

I would rather build a crew on repaints, but it seems like new construction would be essential to running a crew.

Right now, I run a summer crew (4 or 5 guys) and have one year round employee and am trying to figure out where to go next.

Any thoughts?

I know you and i run similar crew set ups for all year and summer exteriors and have always wondered if moving to the next level would due profitable or a major head ache.

I think moving to a larger crew would mean going beyond 10 guys and picking up commercial work etc. All though I had a smaller contractor friend here in the Chicago area that went big and got some awl-mart contract but in Chicago was hassled by the unions non stop and finally turn dint a union shop paying out accordingly and I know he has a **** ton of overhead now...

MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #14
Paint to fish

I am going to have a total of 15 on payroll this summer, but only 2 of those are year round people.

I still think I need to get to 5-6 year round and then the 12+ seasonal workers. I just need some steady, mid-high end NC to make it happen. While I like the smaller residential interiors, it is too hard to string a bunch of them together to keep a crew rolling in the winter. Those jobs are better done with the owner and a helper, IMHO.

Trying to decide on whether I need a couple more exterior workers or not this year. Too close to call. It all depends on if this is going to be a busy summer with a lot of calls (it seems like it at this point). Or if it will slow down early.

Tags
None