another acrylic-over-oil question (murals) - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 01-24-2011, 06:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 24
View dontbesojumpy's Photo Album My Photos
Default another acrylic-over-oil question (murals)

so i've got a rather large gig doing a 15k sqft house who wants just a plethora of murals.
the only thing is, apparently the color coats in the house were all oil-based. i work in acrylics.
i didn't realize this until i started a canvas mural for the same house--they want the base of the canvas the color of the room's walls and gave me the paint. it's oil based. Sherwin Williams brand.

as i said, i primarily work in acrylic.
is the color coats for all the walls going to work more like an oil-based primer--which i've heard is fine to paint acrylic over--or is it going to be just a big, horrible ordeal?

i'm not even sure how to proceed on this canvas portion. do i need to lay down a primer where the acrylic will go on top of the oil-based? if so, how long do i need to let the base coat dry?
dontbesojumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,548
Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,783 Posts
View Ole34's Photo Album My Photos

that sucks ............ oil finish will NOT act like oil primer, your gonna have to prime all the walls then apply a latex base coat then go from there.... if you use
alcohol primer you can base coat the same day but that stuff sucks to work with and splashes all over although it does dry fast........... i would use oil based primer and let it cure over night. good luck, sounds like your gonna be in for it .
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #3

it sounds like your not a PAINTER but more an artist type.....if thats the case you might want to sub out the base coat part of the job. those murals cost money and if you screw up the base coat theres gonna be trouble.........do your research and then do it again. i see it all the time, nicest faux job in the world but the worst cut in lines possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 208
View Gotdibz's Photo Album My Photos

I would take the time to prime in an oil base primer. benjamin moore fresh start works well. First scuff sand so the primer bonds good to the wall. Acrylic primers dont hold as strong over oil, and can peel.
Gotdibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #5

thanks all.
Ole34--
i'm not a "painter" in the sense you all are. i have my BFA in painting. i mostly do realistic murals and tromp l'oeil and work in acrylic just because it's simple.
the painters sprayed the color coats in the house (which i presume is why they are all oil based).

i reckon i could just paint in oils, it's just the scale of the murals in such a massive house isn't the ideal time to swap out into unfamiliar mediums.

i'll probably just lay down an oil-based primer where i need to apply directly to the walls or stump on doing as much of this on canvas as i can...

thanks again.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,614
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,863 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

I would make sure that the walls were truly oil. The homeowner ma have shown you the trim paint can. If they are oil, an oil primer is fine. Oil primer dries quick, regardless of what was said above. You can get into working a mural within hours of base coating.

Where did you get your BFA from?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigmzz View Post
. Oil primer dries quick, regardless of what was said above.

oil primer dries quickly if under the right conditions....roll a cold plaster wall with oil primer and see what happens, you better have a few fans with you lol..........ideally oil primer does dry quickly though but it will nip you in the but at times
Old 01-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #8

Paradigm--i went to University of Tulsa on a scholarship. you know, the golden hurricane (singular. one single hurricane. in a land-locked state?) i was studying master stuff for illustration but lost all interest.
you can see my work on flickr...www.flickr.com/dontbesojumpy

as for the project--i'll check the rest of the cans. i know they MOSTLY used oil-base because they sprayed with lacquer-but i will check.
on the canvas mural, i put down acrylic primer then the oil base-coat. it was really really toothy so i decided to just go for it and paint the painting on it as i would. it seems ok. i know it's not ideal but whatever. it's just canvas so i can start over if it melts off in a few months or whatever.

what's funny about all this is there are a lot of existing homes that i have no idea what the color coat was--oil or latex. i just did my thing. never had any issues but i know there's had to be incompatible surfaces at some point, considering how many murals i've done.
the only major base-coat issue i've had was at a new-build--their color coat was so poorly stuck to the wall that once my green masking tape began to pull off the paint, the whole wall nearly came off in one giant beige skin. i've never seen anything like that before.

Last edited by dontbesojumpy; 01-25-2011 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: wrong URL

Tags
None