Anoyone worked with Elm before? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 03-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000
View TooledUp's Photo Album My Photos
Question Anoyone worked with Elm before?

A local carpenter is building a kind of fireplace surround for a house using Elm. It's going to be raw timber with the bark left on the edges. Around 16 feet long (wall to wall) with two horizontal shelves and some upright sections for support along the base to the first shelf and from the first shelf to the mantle. Also an opening for a small electric fire in the center. It'll be around a foot wide but variable because of the shape of the wood. I'll probably be graining the wall behind it to match.

I've never worked with Elm before so my question is, has anyone had any problems with Elm? Is it resinous? It looks to be very dry just now but I'm wondering if there's any perculiarities that I should know about like acidity or sap problems that might affect the finish. I'm intending to use a clear flat wax on it.

Tia
TooledUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 156
View painterman's Photo Album My Photos

Elm and ash are almost the same wood. No real problems with elm. Takes stain well and finishes beautifully.
painterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #3

Cool. It doesn't look like an oily wood but I just want to be on the safe side. This is the first time I've come across Elm to work with. The reason could be because we lost most of them to Dutch Elm desease in the 60's so it isn't very common here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

I tried working with elm but most of the time he wanted to sleep late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaint View Post
I tried working with elm but most of the time he wanted to sleep late.
They seem to promote a lot of sleep where he lives. There's pyjama shops all over the road he lives on. Since that guy Freddy became Mayor they sell nothing but nightware on Elm's street.

Tags
None