anxiety and control - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 08-02-2011, 06:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500
View sagebrush123's Photo Album My Photos
Default anxiety and control

I am a controller.

when I FEEL I cannot control the painting environment- I get very upset.

for instance:

when the cabinet guys were installing the cabinets-I caught the cabinet installer using 100% silicone...at the gap between the ceiling to the trim.

YIKES. they tried to BULL**** me that the shine would flatten out and that it was paintable.
LIARS!!!!

so I politely offered my stuff. he managed to use it although his fat fingers made the caulk overlap ridiculously onto the ceiling and the trim- even my granny could have done a better job and she is dead.

I noticed from here on, they managed to put out their cigarette butts on my gallon cans...and leave it.
and I noticed bits of tobacco floating in my water bottle.

THIS will be my last new construction project for awhile.

the stories and my disposition are terrible. and have been since the start of this fiasco.
sagebrush123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 06:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Disrespect would piss me off as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 286
View Slopmeyer's Photo Album My Photos

That's why I don't do new con. Everybody pisses on the painter. There is no respect between the trades. Its all about the $$$$ F the next guy
Slopmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #4

thank you aaron- just knowing that you know what I am talking about makes me comforted.

This is my last new construction for this general maybe for ever-----and I am at ease over it.

This job has been filthy dirty since day one. I have done more than my part to maintain a clean environment.....there was very limited day labor to general sweep and clean.......

and I noticed that no one really cares.

I am not over the top with my thinking. I would ljust like to do a job well done...and I am appalled I guess at so many facets that are really out of my control- such as nail pops EVERYWHERE.

I am at peace when I am in a repaint for the most part OR not around other trades or this particular crew.

I said to one of the trim guys- that I get really upset when I see tools leaning against the wall, especially on a finished area....he said and laughed that he likes to put things against the wall for this very reason.....and he means it.

I have evaluated if I am too difficult and I feel that I am not. I feel what I ask is not too difficult to adhere to or minimize.

How hard is it to place a level on the floor? How hard is it to not stack shelving on a painted wall?

How hard is it when there is a large dumpster in the front to place your personal garbage in it at the end of the day?

I am smarter than to put myself in this environment again after this commitment is over.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #5

View One Coat Coverage's Photo Album My Photos

The last company I was employed by did almost 100 percent NC.

Since starting my business, with the exception of a remodel or addition, I do andolutly no NC. Because of the reasons you mentioned.

However, your approach to the other contractors will bring you nothing but negativity.

Sometimes it's better to just be quiet, do YOUR job, and get out.

One Coat Coverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Sagebrush,

we all BTDT.

First, you are NOT wrong in your concerns. However, we do have to bend over backwards to learn how to deal with these assh0les. once you piss them off in the slightest, they will go out of their way to "teach" you a lesson.

You do need to learn how to work WITH these buttheads.

One way, with the caulk, is to casually say to the ham handed Hessian not to worry about caulking because you have your special brand that grabs onto paint. You will caulk the areas next to the painted surafces. You could also joke that you're a bit of a perfectionist and would like the caulk done "just so" and it is just easier if you do it. You are relieving him of one of his tasks and saving him money. Working WITH him, not at odds.

I can fully understand the desire to lean a level against a wall, especially with my back and the dangers of some stumble bum kicking it across the room. BUT, marring newly painted walls is also a no no. Approach them with an understanding of THEIR needs and try to work on an amicable solution. As soon as you say how upset you get over something, you become an easy target. Remember, you are not dealing with rational caring humans, these are little selfish unhappy children.

And read the PDCA standards about job sequencing, and then show it to the GC. That gives you industry standards and if you play your cards correctly, the right to charge for "damage by others".

"Are we having fun yet"

Last edited by daArch; 08-02-2011 at 08:29 AM..
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 536
View Sully's Photo Album My Photos

I agree with Arch if you can kinda work around them great. I did a lot of commercial work with my old company and we were always around other tradesmen. My foreman taught me from day one not to take anyone's crap. We had guys who put there tools on the walls and he use to walk right up and start kicking their stuff outta the way. He's give um fair warning though he used to always ask guys hey you're not messing up my walls are ya. then crack jokes and be friendly with them. Believe it or not the nicest guys I ever worked around were union guys.
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,548
Thanked 3,415 Times in 1,783 Posts
View Ole34's Photo Album My Photos

you think your a controller?? ..............ill tell somebody to go paint so an so then after a few seconds of watching ill be like ''here let me finish that you go do so an so'' ..............then ill come back over an be like ''here let me finish that you go do so an so'' ................yada yada yada lol
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #9

nice responses. thanks for any input.

As of today- I told the GC that I decline any NC projects. I gave my reason and I feel relief. He has two years worth of projects in the making, but I honestly don't think I fit the criteria of NC with him, nor his crew. I believe that we can part amicable.

IF I felt that there can be some common ground acheived with talking and I already have asked politely on multiple occasions to the GC and to some of his trim guys about my concerns. They have been ignored, laughed at-or blatantly disregarded.

Life is short, and I have other prospects in the making and I do prefer repaints and/or small projects.

I am happy-with the thoughts of an end here.

Please don't think that I think I am above or superior to or I am all that and a bag of chips.

I KNOW when a situation does not feel right to me.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 536
View Sully's Photo Album My Photos

This is your livelihood brother if you ain't happy you need to change that. Nothing wrong with leaving a job you aren't happy doing
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

It sounds like that GC is not a good fit, but I would not cross all new construction off your list, it does work, you just have to find the right fit.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #12

I wanted to respond quickly to you Bill with learning how to get along with these guys.......

it is NOT always possible to work with everyone. In painting since 1990. I have worked with ALOT of people....places....situations.....and this one is very non conducive to a regular day at work.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 16
View Aggie's Photo Album My Photos

It is the same here in the UK - I don't do new build work, because the sites are full of neanderthals.
Not sure if you employ sagebrush 123, but there is something to be said for working on your own.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 582
View CliffK's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrush123 View Post
nice responses. thanks for any input.

As of today- I told the GC that I decline any NC projects. I gave my reason and I feel relief. He has two years worth of projects in the making, but I honestly don't think I fit the criteria of NC with him, nor his crew. I believe that we can part amicable.

IF I felt that there can be some common ground acheived with talking and I already have asked politely on multiple occasions to the GC and to some of his trim guys about my concerns. They have been ignored, laughed at-or blatantly disregarded.

Life is short, and I have other prospects in the making and I do prefer repaints and/or small projects.

I am happy-with the thoughts of an end here.

Please don't think that I think I am above or superior to or I am all that and a bag of chips.

I KNOW when a situation does not feel right to me.

I don't know from what part of the country you are from Sagebrush123, but I think from reading some of your posts over time I think you would be a much better fit in the residential repaint market-not that I need anymore competition! Not to knock NC. For those with the right personality and approach it can be very rewarding, for those who don't, it can be overwhelming. In residential repaints you have an opportunity to interact with the customer and "make customers" for now and the future. I know from what I have read you are very environmentally conscious and interested in "green" alternatives. These approaches are probably better served in the repaint market. If I remember(forgive me if I am wrong), but you are female which I think can be an advantage these days in the residential market. As Chris says don't completely write off NC, but if I was you I would start to steer my bus in a little different direction. I think from what I have read the repaint market is a better fit for your personality. Obviously it comes with it's own set of challenges, but that's for another thread. I have been doing residential repaints(with a little NC and some commercial thrown in once in a while just to stretch out the muscles) for over 35 years. It has served me well. I also think you can be proud of the fact that in these times you are in the position to walk away from potential work in order to stay true to yourself. There are many who could not do that even if they wanted too. That shows me that you must be doing something right. Just my 2 cents-best of luck
CliffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #15
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

^^ Ya, that's what I meant!

Good post Cliff.

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #16
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrush123 View Post
I wanted to respond quickly to you Bill with learning how to get along with these guys.......

it is NOT always possible to work with everyone. In painting since 1990. I have worked with ALOT of people....places....situations.....and this one is very non conducive to a regular day at work.
Yah I know. Some situations are just impossible. Sounds like you went with your gut and feel better for it.

Can't argue with that

Pat yourself on the back for making a decision and not bashing your head against the wall.

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 08-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,548
Thanked 3,415 Times in 1,783 Posts
View Ole34's Photo Album My Photos

think over your decision Sage ..........then think it over again, your goin through it right now but maybe things will smooth themselves out without you having to give up all that work ................NC can be lucrative once you learn to navigate through all the bull ****
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #18
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole34 View Post
think over your decision Sage ..........then think it over again, your goin through it right now but maybe things will smooth themselves out without you having to give up all that work ................NC can be lucrative once you learn to navigate through all the bull ****
Yes, but is it worth it to her?

If it's not worth it, then why should she deal with it?

If she's not putting gas in the tank because she needs these NC jobs, then yes, she needs to find a solution.

I think she's weighed the pros and cons and has found her answer.

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 08-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #19
The Umbrella Corporation

Rewards Points: 25
View Scraper's Photo Album My Photos
I SO relate to this topic. I just recently picked up 2 new remodelers to sub from. Today I walked into a mess. Nothing new, just typical mess. My main market is homeowners and I love it. Because I am in control, I am the foreman and when I dont like something I fix it. But you know at least fo me, I know this job will be short lived and I've earned another paycheck and if I and complain enough I'll get my way. Trades do not respect one another. I do sub for good people; Things do tend to be unorganized and communication through the proper channels is like playing the telephone wire game. Maybe my screen=name should be control-freak!!!!
Scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #20

No- i don't cross anything off my list. I think this GC is a great man as a person----he needs to manage his crew better for more effeciancy. I think he doesn't want to be the "bad" guy and also doesn't want to manage--but if you want to see things go smoother.......then you have to instruct....

this area is not much for construction......I will just do word of mouth referral and repaints....and maybe go back to schoolin' part time.

i always wanted to be a park ranger.

Tags
None