Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Anybody do work for cabinet shops/builders?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jmayspaint 
#1 ·
How much should I charge per sq foot?

Just kidding.

There is a cabinet maker in my community that seems to stay consistently busy, and the painter that he currently subs the finish work out to is almost a month behind (from not showing up) and people are starting to get upset.

I haven't talked to the guy yet, but am considering if it is something that would be worthwhile for me to do. Trying to find out if anyone else has done it, and what the logistics are that I may not be considering. I'm sure I'll have to buy another pump to keep at the shop, and I think they might get sprayed Lacquer now. But not sure on that, and if that is the current painter's choice, or the cabinet makers choice.

Also, for those of you that have done it- Was the pay worth the hassle? Don't need to know what you charged, just if you would do it again.

#3 ·
My father in law owns a cabinet shop in north FL. I have subbed finish work for him several times. I personally enjoy the work, and would/will do it again.

I usually spray lacquer conventionally with a two gallon pot. Can do airless, but I like conventional for lacquer/stain. And yea, probably would need a separate pump. Or at least separate line/gun.

I have done it in an open shop plenty of times. Booth is better of course, but not really a necessity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.