Anyone on Paint Talk do parking lot paint stripping? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View justadude's Photo Album My Photos
Default Anyone on Paint Talk do parking lot paint stripping?

I have a possible opportunity. I would really like to hear the pro's and con's of the niche.

Thanks,
justadude is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

Stripping or striping?Or both?
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
View Builtmany's Photo Album My Photos

Stripping in a parking lot sounds cool but might be illegal.
Builtmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
wje

Rewards Points: 1,048
Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,228 Posts
View wje's Photo Album My Photos

I dont know if "We Do Lines" Is still an active member here, but he was a rockstar in the industry it seemed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #5

I have found a new business to try!! haaahahaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Builtmany View Post
Stripping in a parking lot sounds cool but might be illegal.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadude View Post
I have found a new business to try!! haaahahaa
Use bare paints!
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mudbone For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #7

Don't quite your day job!!QUOTE=mudbone;343457]Use bare paints![/QUOTE]
The Following User Says Thank You to justadude For This Useful Post:
mudbone (09-20-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #8

View oz_painter's Photo Album My Photos

we use a profiler to strip the old lines, just depends what surface though can you give more info?
oz_painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oz_painter For This Useful Post:
DanielWood (12-19-2013)
Old 09-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #9

99 % of the time it will be re-striping of existing asphalt parking lots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz_painter View Post
we use a profiler to strip the old lines, just depends what surface though can you give more info?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #10

well for example if we had a carpark with 75 odd parks that were stuffed on the first day we profile all of the old lines (the profiler is just a machine you push along with a grinding wheel attached and you can get different width stones for different width lines if you dont already know what one is), once thats done go through and mark out the carpark, all the crossings, start finish of all the lines etc... then thats usually day over. 2nd day come back to mark the lines with the linemarker, someone will go ahead with a blower to get rid of as much dust as possible. for crossings we will run the edge of the painted area with the linemarker then use a board top and bottom and free hand the center and would be done by lunch.

overall i think its a fairly easy process as long as you've got somewhere to measure off to keep the lines square and straight, i find measuring out the most time consuming part. when we first started out we used a chalk line to mark the lines so we had something follow for the linemarker but now with some experience only need to mark the start and finish. only other gripe i have is if the car park is not shut down its hard to work around traffic eg re-directing them because usually they'll see the witchs hats and think its a race track

Last edited by oz_painter; 09-20-2012 at 06:51 AM..
Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,628
Thanked 9,645 Times in 5,484 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz_painter View Post
We call those wheel abraders, and only use them if we are permanently removing a sign or parking stripe. Otherwise on an existing re-striping, we will either have a street sweeper come in, or blower and broom. Typically, we'll apply as much of the WB traffic paint as possible with a gas powered line striper.

Caveat: Most of our re-striping is in an industrial environment and requires attention roughly every two years. It's mostly for utility rather then aesthetics, and our less then perfect lines reflect that.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 1,377 Times in 605 Posts
View Roamer's Photo Album My Photos

Striping is fairly low margin but is very easy to do with the right equipment and especially if you are going over existing lines. Laying out a brand new parking lot on the other hand is a bit more complicated. Most property managers want to maximize their parking spaces. We have two stripers and we do a fair number of parking garages and parking lots with striping as a small part of the much larger package of painting the garage walls and floors. If you do striping you should be prepared to do curbing as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
We call those wheel abraders, and only use them if we are permanently removing a sign or parking stripe. Otherwise on an existing re-striping, we will either have a street sweeper come in, or blower and broom. Typically, we'll apply as much of the WB traffic paint as possible with a gas powered line striper.

Caveat: Most of our re-striping is in an industrial environment and requires attention roughly every two years. It's mostly for utility rather then aesthetics, and our less then perfect lines reflect that.

have never seen a gas powered machine be interesting to see, we've just got the hydraulic pump wagner line striper. usually depends what the customer wants done and what there budget is, it's not very often we profile the exisiting lines thats worst case scenario. most of the time if its existing they just want a quick redo so we just go over whats already there after we give it a quick clean
Old 09-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 570
View mr.fixit's Photo Album My Photos

I did traffic markings for years mostly parking lots and garages. Restripes and new layouts. I did very well at it and gave that business to my son when I opened my airless repair shop. My son still has it and usually does around $150,000 net. with 3 guys in a seasonal business is not to hard to take

mr.fixit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None