Apparently SW is going to be carrying festool - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree7Likes

Old 04-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 612
View sayn3ver's Photo Album My Photos
Default Apparently SW is going to be carrying festool

I popped into my local independent BM dealer. They always had a festool display and is where I typically buy abrasives if I run out and can't wait for an internet order.

It was gone. They said it's now a conflict no interest since their competition just picked up the festool line (he hintd the SW across the street). He also wouldn't comment on what they are bringing in to replace.

I think it's stupid as they both sell Graco pumps?

If it's true I don't know whether to be glad since SW has better hours or sad since they'll probably destroy the brand.
As long as SW keeps the flat price of festool abrasives the same(pretty much the same price everywhere per festool) I guess I'll have to go there. At least it's a closer drive.

Anyone else hear or see anything about this?
sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 7,362
Thanked 15,585 Times in 8,225 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Haven’t heard anything yet but I haven’t been in the store in a few weeks. Just because they will be selling them doesn’t mean they will have any impact on a change in quality. A change in prices might be another issue though I sort of doubt that too since everywhere they are sold seems to have things at the same prices. But, if they jack up the cost any then there is always Amazon.
lilpaintchic likes this.

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #3

For giggles I stopped in after heading to Wawa for a coffee. It is true. They have the festool catalog on the counter and a cardboard ad near the paint color wall.

They said they would be stocking like three Sanders (planex would be one) but at the time no plans to stock abrasives.

The new assistant manager said they may depending on sales they may decide to stock some common sizes and grits. He also said if I use certain abrasives on the regular they wouldn't have a problem possibly keeping a box or two in the back assuming you consume them on the regular.

At the end tho they said it's just an overhead cost issue holding onto pricey festool stock.

Again, it's a 3-5 day lead time to buy from SW and get the abrasives vs an Amazon prime delivery....like what's the point?

Sw also said that the BM dealer/s were undercharging apparently and festool yanked the line from their stores? I dunno how true that is.

Just alittle gossip for Sunday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayn3ver View Post
For giggles I stopped in after heading to Wawa for a coffee. It is true. They have the festool catalog on the counter and a cardboard ad near the paint color wall.

They said they would be stocking like three Sanders (planex would be one) but at the time no plans to stock abrasives.

The new assistant manager said they may depending on sales they may decide to stock some common sizes and grits. He also said if I use certain abrasives on the regular they wouldn't have a problem possibly keeping a box or two in the back assuming you consume them on the regular.

At the end tho they said it's just an overhead cost issue holding onto pricey festool stock.

Again, it's a 3-5 day lead time to buy from SW and get the abrasives vs an Amazon prime delivery....like what's the point?

Sw also said that the BM dealer/s were undercharging apparently and festool yanked the line from their stores? I dunno how true that is.

Sounds like they are going to just be dipping their big toe in the Festool green Koolaide for now. Hopefully my local Miller store will continue to carry it since they have most of the attachments available in store - along with bags, filters, replacement pads, and paper.

Bill Watterson
Old 04-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #5

Agreed. Im just disappointed that I lost a business that used to stock abrasives. They didn't have a huge supply or variety but could get me out of a pinch. Lost that now for a retailer that won't stock as the norm.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 36
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

SW been carrying fesstol for some time here in our area. As do the independent stores and all the woodworking stores .
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 232
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayn3ver View Post

What the heck is the point behind selling the sanders, but not the sand paper. I am not a big fan of SW becasue I feel that it is run like a box store...and this only comfirms my feelings toward the company.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
slinger58 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pete Martin the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:14 PM   #9
RH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Martin the Painter View Post
What the heck is the point behind selling the sanders, but not the sand paper. I am not a big fan of SW becasue I feel that it is run like a box store...and this only comfirms my feelings toward the company.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
If they hope to be a serious retailer of FT then they will need to be stocking the abrasives. Most guys can wait a few days for an attachment but if you run out of paper in the middle of something you can be screwed. Still, just to make it cost effective I order the 100 count boxes so I can pretty much tell in advance when I’m running low.

Bill Watterson
Old 04-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 824
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

I get next day delivery from a Festool dealer in Toronto. I was astonished that I order on day one and receive on day 2. That really made me a lot happier about buying a Festool. My dread was running out of abrasives and needing to wait for mail order to come in. BTW, I found most Festool prices higher on Amazon.
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:15 PM   #11
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,606
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

I understand buying quality tools and I know people here like festool but if I have to spend that much on a sander I'm doing waaaaay too much sanding.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 6
Thanked 1,054 Times in 685 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

Look at it this way, SW will bring in Festool to all 5000+ stores, then when they don't sell many sanders because let's face it most painters are cheap and will not invest in these. SW will be forced to close them out and you can pick them up on the cheap!!
mattpaints82 and lilpaintchic like this.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeCalifornia For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (04-17-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 12:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp View Post
I understand buying quality tools and I know people here like festool but if I have to spend that much on a sander I'm doing waaaaay too much sanding.
I don't think everything they make is gold. Festool isn't even the greatest or most expensive in terms of woodworking tools. Or look at the guys in the timber cutting and shaping categories.

I like their sanders at the moment. The vacs work nice and have tested well against new comers to the market.

It's a not for everyone sort of gig. It's a system that works pretty good though. And if you do other trades they have some cool stuff for efficiency there too. They also have produced some misses.

Festool really helped spur some trends in the trades stateside. Organization is one of them. You might not use or like the sustainer system but it has forced DeWalt and Milwaukee to compete while Bosch brought over the other popular euro system. The festool tracksaw forced Makita and DeWalt to offer competition. The festool kapex miter saw ushered in Bosch, Makita and I believe Milwaukee to offer sliding miter saws which can be placed up against a wall yet still slide cut like the kapex first made popular.

And with the new osha regulations for silica dust creation and containment the festool system may work for you considering almost every spackle/joint compound/primer has silica in them and a warning on the label and in the msds.

Last edited by sayn3ver; 04-16-2018 at 12:19 AM..
Old 04-16-2018, 12:22 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 824
View jennifertemple's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCalifornia View Post
Look at it this way, SW will bring in Festool to all 5000+ stores, then when they don't sell many sanders because let's face it most painters are cheap and will not invest in these. SW will be forced to close them out and you can pick them up on the cheap!!
Nope! You will never get Festool on the "cheap" unless you can find someone selling second hand; good luck with that! Festool allows no discounting. All product will simply be returned or moved on to outlets that can move the product.

BTW: I am not cheap about good tools and painters often need to do a lot of sanding; I'm really likeing the festool reduction in the clouds of dust I generally raised when sanding wood or drywall.

Cheap is more work.
jennifertemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:38 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Apparently SW is going to be carrying festool

SW just had their Pro Show in Seattle last week and Festool and Mirka both had booths, which was a little odd.

Personally, I’m surprised by what I think is very poor execution of the rollout by Festool. All the SW stores are laid out by corporate and I didn’t get the impression that Festool is being given any floor space or at least they haven’t been in the store I shop at.

All the other paint stores that carry Festool have nice display cases that are well stocked with a wide variety of sundries and tools. Hopefully these will make their way into SW stores.

It’s my understanding that Festool is more or less leaving it up to the stores to order whatever products they want. This is probably why most stores aren’t stocking many or any abrasives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeCalifornia likes this.

Last edited by PNW Painter; 04-16-2018 at 01:43 AM..
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,712 Times in 3,179 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

This whole "they carry the tools, but not the sandpaper" thing is absolutely insane! That's where the profit is! I cannot believe they are not going to stock the sandpaper in their stores! That is absolutely moronic. That is so stupid i don't believe it is true. Not even Sw could be so ignorant.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #17
RH

Just because a guy in one store told a PT member about the minimal stocking plan doesn’t mean it’s true. Say what you want about SW, they generally know how to market and sell so pretty sure they will soon have their act together on this. Eventually, HD will probably be stocking FT as well - in fact I’m surprised it hasn’t already happened.

Bill Watterson
Old 04-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,712 Times in 3,179 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Just because a guy in one store told a PT member about the minimal stocking plan doesn’t mean it’s true. Say what you want about SW, they generally know how to market and sell so pretty sure they will soon have their act together on this. Eventually, HD will probably be stocking FT as well - in fact I’m surprised it hasn’t already happened.
Like i said "not even SW could be so ignorant".

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:49 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 6
Thanked 1,054 Times in 685 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

I personally don't want FT at SW. I don't know any painter in my area that has one and really don't care if they ever find out. I sell so many jobs on the whole Hepa vac system, dustless, etc. I don't want the competition catching on.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:56 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
This whole "they carry the tools, but not the sandpaper" thing is absolutely insane! That's where the profit is! I cannot believe they are not going to stock the sandpaper in their stores! That is absolutely moronic. That is so stupid i don't believe it is true. Not even Sw could be so ignorant.
Of the 4-5 stores we use all stock the sandpaper
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None