Aura fumes and outgassing - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree10Likes

Old 05-25-2019, 10:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,338
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default Aura fumes and outgassing

I have not had the opportunity to use Aura that much since I got back into painting in 2013. I know the can says to be careful about ventilation. One of my first jobs using it told me that this is true.

Having said that, the last job I did at Marina Towers in Chicago was Aura for most of the walls. I painted a whole closet that was basically a box canyon, but I did have a 20" fan to help and I did not seem to suffer much from fumes. I may have been remiss in using the fan on the rest of the job and ended up getting a bad summer cold/congestion/whatever it is!

I am wondering if others here have had adverse reactions while using Aura.

foot - cough cough- yos
futtyos is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2019, 07:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 632
Thanked 4,456 Times in 2,446 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

None whatsoever. It does have a slightly sweet smell to it, but I've never had an adverse reaction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,682
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Painting closets with Aura? someones a moneybags.
jennifertemple likes this.
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #4
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 919
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Theres a lot of smelly paints out there. But Aura is the sweetest of them all.
That being said, theres still always a bit of
Off gassing of VOCs. Depending how sensitive you are.
All that aside, I use Aura all the time, and put a little on my cereal from time to time...
futtyos and Wildbill7145 like this.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,672
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Aura has Zero VOC's. I'm not sure what the issue is here.
Mr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
Thats a joke right?

Anyway, I dont understand how you use Gardz like its going out of style, but Aura fumes bother you? Thats kinda funny. Cuz I sure as hell think Gardz is the gnarliest waterborne product you can use.
loaded brush and Brushman4 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodco For This Useful Post:
Gwarel (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 98
View celicaxx's Photo Album My Photos

I used Aura about a year ago now. Really actually overall didn't like the product. I didn't find the fumes bad, but we actually had one gallon straight from the paint store, no time to freeze, etc, with chunks in the gallon. The paint store gave the weird excuse that it wasn't frozen, but with the new zero VOC formulation it started drying before putting it in the can? (what?) We had issues with flashing as well with it. The paint with a really surprising amount of fumes was actually BM 508 ceiling paint. That stuff absolutely reeked. Eye wateringly bad. Weirdly putting Floetrol to the max amount (I think 8oz) made it smell less bad by a lot, as it didn't offgas out so quick. Floetrol technically adds "VOCs" but made the paint smell a lot less. I think all those paints are really high ammonia now, so the ammonia smell is pretty bad.

Also, as I found out on here, VOC isn't about human health, it's about the ozone layer. Acetone is a VOC exempt solvent, for example. So are actually some of the acetates (my sister had some "professional" nail polish with acetates in it and both me and my mother in the house wanted to vomit...)
celicaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
Thats a joke right?

Anyway, I dont understand how you use Gardz like its going out of style, but Aura fumes bother you? Thats kinda funny. Cuz I sure as hell think Gardz is the gnarliest waterborne product you can use.
You must be thinking about someone else. I rarely use Gardz. I might use it if the drywall paper is torn and it needs to be sealed before repairs.

I also don't use Aura. I'm not sure where you came up with Aura fumes bothering me either.

What "joke" are you referring to?
Old 05-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 632
Thanked 4,456 Times in 2,446 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
You must be thinking about someone else. I rarely use Gardz. I might use it if the drywall paper is torn and it needs to be sealed before repairs.

I also don't use Aura. I'm not sure where you came up with Aura fumes bothering me either.

He's referring to Futtyos. The joke being that Futtyos loves his Gardz which stinks, but gets bothered by Aura which doesn't really stink.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,464
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

We used it quite a lot in the years it first came on the market, no problemo with the smell. As many have said with the amount of Gardz futty uses and he thinks Aura stinks. Gardz is one of the most putrid smelling products on earth!
Brushman4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:58 PM   #11

Quote:

"Aura has Zero VOC's. I'm not sure what the issue is here."

Thats what I was referring to.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
"Aura has Zero VOC's. I'm not sure what the issue is here."

Thats what I was referring to.

I gave you an out, and instead of apologizing, you double down.

Reading comprehension (or intellectual honesty) is clearly not your strong suit.

I'll give you a hint. It's Futtyos who is the big Gardz fan in here and you mistook him for me.He's worried about the "off gassing" of Aura and I commented that it is a ZERO VOC paint ----so nothing to worry about.

Your comments made absolutely zero sense. I even told you I wasn't the guy. I don't even use Gardz or Aura.

Not one word of this response is accurate:

"Anyway, I dont understand how you use Gardz like its going out of style, but Aura fumes bother you? Thats kinda funny. Cuz I sure as hell think Gardz is the gnarliest waterborne product you can use".

Last edited by Mr Smith; 05-26-2019 at 05:05 PM..
Old 05-26-2019, 05:04 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 914
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by celicaxx View Post
I used Aura about a year ago now. Really actually overall didn't like the product. I didn't find the fumes bad, but we actually had one gallon straight from the paint store, no time to freeze, etc, with chunks in the gallon. The paint store gave the weird excuse that it wasn't frozen, but with the new zero VOC formulation it started drying before putting it in the can? (what?) We had issues with flashing as well with it. The paint with a really surprising amount of fumes was actually BM 508 ceiling paint. That stuff absolutely reeked. Eye wateringly bad. Weirdly putting Floetrol to the max amount (I think 8oz) made it smell less bad by a lot, as it didn't offgas out so quick. Floetrol technically adds "VOCs" but made the paint smell a lot less. I think all those paints are really high ammonia now, so the ammonia smell is pretty bad.

Also, as I found out on here, VOC isn't about human health, it's about the ozone layer. Acetone is a VOC exempt solvent, for example. So are actually some of the acetates (my sister had some "professional" nail polish with acetates in it and both me and my mother in the house wanted to vomit...)
That really is an issue with the newer zero voc paints. The manufacturer floats a layer of glycol from the factory and depending on where it's shipped then by the time it gets to the store that layer is Disturbed and a skin has formed then it gets shaken and into your paint. I usually try to remove the skin from the lid if I see one but best practice you should always strain zero voc paints. Aura and natura in 5's definitely always strain.

BTW not sure why why you would thin out 508 so much it's already pretty thin but floetrol not compatible with modern paints. Use BM, xim or M1 extender.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:39 PM   #14
Kev D.

Quote:
Aura is Low Voc, but not 0 Voc...

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2019, 05:54 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 572
View Alchemy Redux's Photo Album My Photos

Iím surprised PACman hasnít shared his personal outgassing/flatulence issues on the topic yet..guess he didnít have Chipotle for lunch..
LowesOfficial likes this.
Alchemy Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Aura is Low Voc, but not 0 Voc...

Aura Interior Paint- Eggshell
Eggshell (524)
FEATURES
MORE INFORMATION
TOOLS
SDS / TDS
Proprietary Colour Lock™ technology for richer colours that stay true over time
Rich, thick paint that provides a beautiful finish
Outstanding durability
Stands up to repeated washing with no colour rub-off
Extreme hide and coverage for fewer coats
Mildew resistant
Paint and primer together
Seamless touch-ups
Excellent in high-traffic areas
Zero VOC, low odour
Engineered with Gennexģ Colour Technology
View the sell sheet for more information

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca/...interior-paint

https://cl.ly/c65ec3b9b56e

Last edited by Mr Smith; 05-26-2019 at 07:03 PM..
Old 05-26-2019, 11:36 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,338
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default Gardz apology

Quote:

Reading comprehension (or intellectual honesty) is clearly not your strong suit.

I'll give you a hint. It's Futtyos who is the big Gardz fan in here and you mistook him for me.He's worried about the "off gassing" of Aura and I commented that it is a ZERO VOC paint ----so nothing to worry about.

Your comments made absolutely zero sense. I even told you I wasn't the guy. I don't even use Gardz or Aura.

"Anyway, I dont understand how you use Gardz like its going out of style, but Aura fumes bother you? Thats kinda funny. Cuz I sure as hell think Gardz is the gnarliest waterborne product you can use".
Mr. Smith, if I or any others here have offended you, could you please forgive us? I willingly accept the brunt of all negative comments about Gardz.

Perhaps it was not the Aura that got to me. Perhaps I was just run down, but i do recall reading about proper ventilation when using Aura. Also, maybe I am nore sensitive to breathing Aura fumes than I am being teased about Gardz. We have a good crowd here. Let's keep it that way if we can.

futtyos
LowesOfficial likes this.
futtyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:22 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 98
View celicaxx's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
That really is an issue with the newer zero voc paints. The manufacturer floats a layer of glycol from the factory and depending on where it's shipped then by the time it gets to the store that layer is Disturbed and a skin has formed then it gets shaken and into your paint. I usually try to remove the skin from the lid if I see one but best practice you should always strain zero voc paints. Aura and natura in 5's definitely always strain.

BTW not sure why why you would thin out 508 so much it's already pretty thin but floetrol not compatible with modern paints. Use BM, xim or M1 extender.
Thickness wasn't the issue. (But honestly I prefer using thinner paints because I'm weird...) I was subbing with another guy using it and it was just drying ridiculously fast. I'm thinking in that house it was a combination of stuff being really dry and not having any humidity whatsoever, or the drywall not being primed properly. (It wasn't new construction, but I think the previous painters didn't prime.) But it basically was just drying as soon as I put it on, really almost 30 seconds or a minute and it'd be dry on the ceiling. We ended up with a lot of weird flashing issues with it and Aura as well, I think it was a combo of conditions, drywall, and both products drying ridiculously quick. I wanted to use plain water but the paint store gods told him Floetrol, but BM Extender for Aura. It worked I guess. Ceiling paint especially was drastic in how improved it was, and the Floetrol seemed to cause no issues. Looking back I'd have probably primed the ceiling with just some normal Zinsser Bullseye or equivalent kind of thing after the ceiling flashing around lights etc on the first coat, I told him we should, but he and I ended up doing 3 coats of 508 over basically an entire first floor due to the flashing issues, money in the bank for the paint store. :/ I mean I guess I shouldn't care, I was getting paid per hour, so whatever.
celicaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:04 AM   #19
Kev D.

Quote:
Aura Interior Paint- Eggshell
Eggshell (524)
FEATURES
MORE INFORMATION
TOOLS
SDS / TDS
Proprietary Colour Lock technology for richer colours that stay true over time
Rich, thick paint that provides a beautiful finish
Outstanding durability
Stands up to repeated washing with no colour rub-off
Extreme hide and coverage for fewer coats
Mildew resistant
Paint and primer together
Seamless touch-ups
Excellent in high-traffic areas
Zero VOC, low odour
Engineered with Gennex Colour Technology
View the sell sheet for more information

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca/...interior-paint

https://cl.ly/c65ec3b9b56e
Oh shoot. I stand corrected. I must have been looking at an old tds. This does bump up my love for Aura. What a fantastic product. She's expensive and fussy, but very dominant.

Wildbill7145 likes this.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #20

Quote:

Ok. Let me explain this to you:

You wrote this: "Aura has Zero VOC's. I'm not sure what the issue is here."

I asked if you were joking, because as professional painters, we should all be aware that 0 VOC does not mean fume free or health conscious.

The other statement was to Futtyos, not you, so my apologies for not making that clearer.

I think its a little ironic that Aura fumes get to him to when Gardz doesnt, cuz Gardz (and sheilds) sure as hell gets to me.

Get it? Got it? Good.

Tags
None