Background check - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 03-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 154
View The Painter Guy's Photo Album My Photos
Default Background check

What is the best method of doing a background check on employee candidates. Do you punch in a persons phone # or social and see what pops up online or just call up past employers and hope they will be candid about the person. Also how many of you use a drug / alcohol testing service?
Thanks
Jim
The Painter Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 4,656
Thanked 4,390 Times in 1,918 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

When I need to do one, I use www.intellius.com. Depending on how in-depth of a report you need, it cost around $20-$50.
ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 81
View T200's Photo Album My Photos

I used a local company for criminal records checks then tried an online service (integrascan.com) and found it was cheaper and as comprehensive. You should obtain a signed permission form from the employee authorizing you to do so. It's always a good idea to call references/past employers, too.

We have a policy of pre-employment drug testing and random drug testing. If you test, it's recommended you have a written policy outlining your program.

A postscript about criminal background checks: They show only convictions, not arrests. A painter stole about $600 worth of stuff from me. I'd done a criminal background check and it showed nothing. When I filed a police report, they did a check and told me he had numerous theft arrests on his record. I asked why they didn't show up when I ran a background check. He said they can't tell you about arrests on background checks--only convictions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

For the initial screening we punch in thier name in the Maryland public court records. It shows just about everything. If they end up staying more than a couple of weeks, we pay for a report. The police in the county I used to live in would run a report for you. (If I remember it was $40)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bikerboy; 03-02-2008 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: misspelled
bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

State Police will do a criminal back ground check. We make the initial police application/order part of the application process before they are hired. People will stop and walk out when they find out you are actually going to check. It does weed some out before it's even run. They sign the authorization for the drug testing at the same time. Sometimes the threat is more effective than actually doing it. When we first started with the back ground check we had our current employees sign them as well and one guy just quit before we ever ran it. He had been working for us for about three years and was a great guy but he had something on his record that he didn't want us to know about. Never did find out what that was.
Tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None