Bad Caulk Lines !! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 07-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,548
Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,783 Posts
View Ole34's Photo Album My Photos
Default Bad Caulk Lines !!

were doin a repaint and talk about bad caulk likes ......i made my 90 in the corner just above the bump in order to set the height then came down...... then came from the left towards the 90 in the right .........

Last edited by Ole34; 07-10-2011 at 06:55 PM..
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Big Member

Rewards Points: 25
View bwpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Kwality workmanship at its best!
bwpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,326
View Ultimate's Photo Album My Photos

I will snap some shots of one I am beginning tomorrow or Tuesday. House full of caulk lines such as this. I bid it to redo the caulk lines, dig caulk out of many of the corners of the door casings and lots of sanding. I explained it to the HO during my presentation and they loved the fact that I would take notice and care. I explain that I would hate to have their friends come over and ask "Who painted that?" Some understand where I am coming from and appreciate it when I take so much pride in what the company name goes on.

Thing is in repaints is that going over prior painters hackjobs like what you are showing is that when we leave and the neighbors have seen us there, the drips, caulk lines, lack of sanding, runs etc are all visible and most don't have the thought that it wasthe guy before me that did it. I usually clean up lot's of what others have left behind just so when the question is asked "Who did that?" it won't be because they are looking at a deck full of slop from the guy before me, but rather a clean job.

I do bid with this in mind and am focusing on putting myself in a classification of painters here that oozes quality first for a client that is capable and willing to pay for this service. I realize there is never a perfect paint job but if I can't get my lines straight due to caulk I take note and point it out to the customer right away and ask if they would like to have me give them a paint job their house deserves. That line usually works. Especially in my area where quality is so hard to find.

Now don't get me wrong I am not saying I have never done what you did and just painted over it stuff such as is done here. Money is money and the customer gets what the customer wants. Especially in the house rental sector. Just saying I am working hard at settling in a certain niche.

Actually I am going to look for a couple pics of my caulk work versus another and post em up for fun. Been digging out some old and replacing with new lately. Hate it when carpenters try to cover up their shoddy cuts and hide it with even shoddier caulking. Can you say backcharge?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultimate For This Useful Post:
mustangmike3789 (07-10-2011), Ole34 (07-10-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherandSonPainting View Post

Now don't get me wrong I am not saying I have never done what you did and just painted over it stuff such as is done here. Money is money and the customer gets what the customer wants. Especially in the house rental sector. Just saying I am working hard at settling in a certain niche.

Actually I am going to look for a couple pics of my caulk work versus another and post em up for fun. Been digging out some old and replacing with new lately. Hate it when carpenters try to cover up their shoddy cuts and hide it with even shoddier caulking. Can you say backcharge?

i agree with you 100% but this job im on consists of 184 trim sets like the one pictured below in a commercial building and re-caulking was NOT in the work scope to say the least ..they wanted basic prep/2 coats of premium paint an that its !! PERIOD .......theyre lucky im a perfectionist and went above an beyound to make do with what i had before me ................hey if i couldn't re-caulk it least i could do is make it ''appear'' to be re-caulked .....

http://youtu.be/GTCN7skn3bI
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ole34 For This Useful Post:
Bender (07-11-2011), Ultimate (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #5

^ Yea man looks good I understand.

The window pic shows a pic of the carpenters caulk on the recess and the 45 and mine where the window joins the inside casing.

The baseboard is the house I am beginning tomorrow. Will get an after shot for this.

The door casing is what I expect from my painters on new construction and the door, baseboard is two coats on the trim and one on the walls showing the lines that come from caulking well. I use this to show builders what they can give to their clients if they want to.

Again I understand what you are saying each job is unique in it's demands and I hate having to paint behind shoddy painters before me. I do like getting the checks evenso right?
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Caulk Lines !!-dscn2412-640x480-.jpg  

Bad Caulk Lines !!-img_1409-1-.jpg  

Bad Caulk Lines !!-dscn2441-640x480-.jpg  

Bad Caulk Lines !!-dscn2427-640x480-.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to Ultimate For This Useful Post:
Ole34 (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Big Member

Rewards Points: 25
View bwpainting's Photo Album My Photos

You gonna do the underside of that bottom molding lefty?
bwpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwpainting View Post
You gonna do the underside of that bottom molding lefty?

no way ...........its a nursing home for christs sake........wheel chairs and beds bumping into everything within sight.....now on a residential i would but thats a different animal all together........btw, left an right handed .....depends though sometimes i favor my left an others i favor my right.....handy in tight spots

Last edited by Ole34; 07-10-2011 at 10:53 PM..
Old 07-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherandSonPainting View Post
^ Yea man looks good I understand.

The window pic shows a pic of the carpenters caulk on the recess and the 45 and mine where the window joins the inside casing.

The baseboard is the house I am beginning tomorrow. Will get an after shot for this.

The door casing is what I expect from my painters on new construction and the door, baseboard is two coats on the trim and one on the walls showing the lines that come from caulking well. I use this to show builders what they can give to their clients if they want to.

Again I understand what you are saying each job is unique in it's demands and I hate having to paint behind shoddy painters before me. I do like getting the checks evenso right?

nice work.....!! ...........good luck with that old caulk, deff want to see that after pics..........lovin those new caulk lines on the base esp where it goes 90 degrees into the door molding ........nothin like new work, piece of art you got goin on there !!! ...........we dont get much NC work so ive become rather adept at makin due with the 100+ yr old stuff

this is all i have on this computer..... from last yr or so .........left the old caulk in then re-caulked over

Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #9

carpenters that caulk ??? ...........1/2 the problem.........don't even get me started on the silicone
Old 07-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #10

That looks good to me!

Old 07-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #11

Oh yea. "Silicone is the best though isn't it?." That's what they all say. Amazing. I tell them don't worry I will make them look good just stop giving me more work to do or I'm gonna backcharge your boss then we all won't be friends anymore.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #12
House Painting Reading PA

Rewards Points: 250
View 4ThGeneration's Photo Album My Photos

We had some really good carpenters who we became close friends with over the years, but they wanted to help out their buddies(US lol) I just made an observation. I told them they sucked with the caulking and please just buy us Lunch next time lol.

The exterior carpenters (Crack Heads Basically) were the worse. I swore they eye balled it.took it home on their time off, cut it there and came back to put it all together. We were going through so many cases of caulk my Uncle thought someone was stealing it. Itold him we would be better off just gluing the caulk tubes in the cracks they were so large.
In Berks County PA 484-334-1311
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #13

carpenters are supposed to carry sandpaper and glue not caulk..........used to know a few who did.... sanded all the cuts down etc etc really took pride in their joints
Old 07-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

WTF! Showering with power tools, 8' beds, now caulk!?!
I don't know about you Ole

Last edited by ewingpainting.net; 07-11-2011 at 12:34 AM..
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
WTF! Showering with power tools, 8' beds, now caulk!?!
I don't know about you Ole

im a rather sophisticated individual i guess
Old 07-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 556
View LA Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Actually it looks more like a patch (spackle/mud) than caulk. You can tell by putty knife stroke & air holes. It just needed to be sanded better.
LA Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #17

just used that corner as an example, wasnt really about caulk per say.............. just bad edges in general..........
Old 07-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #18
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

i agree with you 100% but this job im on consists of 184 trim sets like the one pictured below in a commercial building and re-caulking was NOT in the work scope to say the least ..they wanted basic prep/2 coats of premium paint an that its !! PERIOD .......theyre lucky im a perfectionist and went above an beyound to make do with what i had before me ................hey if i couldn't re-caulk it least i could do is make it ''appear'' to be re-caulked .....

and the big question is, what do you consider premium paint?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post

and the big question is, what do you consider premium paint?

I use M.A.B an SW...........been usin them all my life, know how they flow ...know how they cover.........never any surprises.........

ok time to make the donuts!!!

Tags
None