Basic caulking tips - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Vylum
  • 2 Post By Local paint pro
  • 2 Post By 804 Paint
  • 1 Post By Woodco
  • 1 Post By DEK Painting inc.
  • 1 Post By deadend
  • 1 Post By SwampCat
  • 1 Post By Woodco
  • 2 Post By lilpaintchic
  • 1 Post By Vylum
  • 1 Post By SwampCat

Old 08-29-2018, 11:07 PM   #1
Veteran of Disorder

Rewards Points: 156
View DittonWilson's Photo Album My Photos
Default Basic caulking tips

I searched back posts and tried to find what i am looking for. couldn't . we have been loaned out to another crew doing commercial stuff. Usually we use the lighthouse caulk, but these guys use a sherwin brand non-shrink caulk. It s just been slightly frustrating to me because I feel like I have used the lighthouse so much that i have it dialed in pretty good. The non shrink caulk seems stickier to me and I am having a harder time making a smooth triangle corner, like on door jam where three angles come together. I know that it is bugging me way more than the specs at this job come with , but it bugs me that just a change in caulk can mess up my speed so much. At a very basic level my question is; how do you folks make a smooth corner with caulk on door jambs ? How do I get faster at this? The prep on the last one I did in 40 hours. That was the spackle, sand, caulk , doors off and stood up, bathtub and windows masked, and taping the d** hinges.
DittonWilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2018, 12:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,274
View Vylum's Photo Album My Photos

i use my pinky in tight corners and use pointer, middle and ring for long stretches(alternating to prevent finger tip fatigue). i like to lay a relatively small bead and push my pinky directly into the corner to set it in then do a small drag down, clean pinky with a damp rag, pinky to corner again then drag horizontally. repeat if it doesnt look smooth, helps to use a clean digits.
DittonWilson likes this.
Vylum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 318
View Local paint pro's Photo Album My Photos

I start by caulking a small section, say one side of a jamb. Then I wipe everything with a wet not damp finger. I keep a 2.5 qt pail with about 4 washcloth sizes rags and about an inch of water in the bottom, sI I can constantly clean and re wet my finger.
johnhoo08 and DittonWilson like this.
Local paint pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Local paint pro For This Useful Post:
DittonWilson (08-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2018, 07:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 800
View 804 Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Very similar to Vylum, except I discovered using a grout sponge recently instead of a rag. I dunno why, but it keeps my hands much cleaner so it increases speed. Of course, 5 of water is kept nearby to quickly clean the sponge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vylum and DittonWilson like this.
804 Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 804 Paint For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 07:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,402
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I use sponges too. I cut tile sponges in half, keep it in one hand while Im caulking, mostly just to keep my finger wet. Im in the habit of wiping excess caulk right on the tube. Its messy and sloppy, but it significantly speeds up the process.

I used to do tracks. I would Pull, and label doors, caulk spackle putty, and prime the trim in a one story house by myself in one day. That also includes masking showers and windows. The next day, I would sand the trim, spray it with the enamel, then come back with a block brush with the wall paint thinned in half with water. (The walls and trim were same color, different sheen, so Im just putting a thin layer of flat paint over the overspray. Also, We used the flat wall paint as the trim primer, so were touching up walls as we're priming). Quickly run the brush around all the jambs to cover the enamel back to flat. I'd then have two hours left in my day to go find an exterior crew and help them finish their house. If it was a two story, The first day I would prep, the second, I would prime the trim, spray the doors, and sand and finish the trim, cut back the walls.

Do it every day for a few months, and you will get lightning fast. All in all, one day to spray walls. One day to prep. One day to finish the trim and doors, then one day later on for touch up.
DittonWilson likes this.

Last edited by Woodco; 08-30-2018 at 08:04 AM..
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodco For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 136
View DEK Painting inc.'s Photo Album My Photos

You could take a 1" Purdy dale , and put it in a bucket of water with your rags . When you get to tight places in corners , just caulk and lightly smooth over it with the brush. Works really good with the rosette blocks and caseing too.
Brushman4 likes this.
DEK Painting inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEK Painting inc. For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 08:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25
View deadend's Photo Album My Photos

...water and a grout sponge are a minimum...these Dap tools have been really handy to me...a 1" knife and thin t-shirt material can do the trick too but not as easily as with the soft tools...
Attached Thumbnails
Basic caulking  tips-photogrid_1505269332260_1535673436605.jpg  

Basic caulking  tips-photogrid_1505269332260_1535673657558.jpg  

DittonWilson likes this.
deadend is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deadend For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 08:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 152
View SwampCat's Photo Album My Photos

1" knife and a gentle touch.like a ninja.use only enough caulk to fill the void so when you knife it off there is no excess caulk just the corner.then move on don't look back.
DittonWilson likes this.
SwampCat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwampCat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 10:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampCat View Post
1" knife and a gentle touch.like a ninja.use only enough caulk to fill the void so when you knife it off there is no excess caulk just the corner.then move on don't look back.
Thats very bad advice.
DittonWilson likes this.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:10 PM   #10
Veteran of Disorder

Rewards Points: 156
View DittonWilson's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
Thats very bad advice.
I thought for a minute about how to reply in a way that wasn't dismissive of others advice. But then I remembered that I am here to learn and hopefully share best practices. I really appreciate everyones input, but I am having a hard time visualizing how I would use a knife of any size at all, especially to speed up the process. I am interested in the DAP tools, but again, we are going for speed here and I don't see how switching from finger to tool and back again is going to speed up anything. I did replace my rag with a sponge today and messed around switching to my pinky in tight places. I have serious doubts that any tool is going to speed up the process. The sponge did help though, because you can kind of get more water involved, which helps to smooth out the corner. In the long run I would say that it just took a day to learn the properties of the new caulk
DittonWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:09 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Add a little bit of Krud Kutter to your wash water. It’ll make cleaning off your hands a little easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:36 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Im assuming you´ve adjusted the size of your tip to accomodate the viscosity of the caulk and the speed you can apply it at? Thinner product=smaller bead=less mess. And a 1"knife and a rag is all i use. I only use the knife in corners where its tight and ive overapplied or otherwise need to clean it up a little...

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
DittonWilson and SwampCat like this.
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:14 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,274
View Vylum's Photo Album My Photos

im having a hard time visualizing someone using a tool to help cock corners, sounds like a mucky mess
DittonWilson likes this.
Vylum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:13 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 152
View SwampCat's Photo Album My Photos

haha i completely stand by my advice.i've been painting for over twenty years.you knife the corner,it comes out perfect every time,you move on.you save time by not standing there swiping your rag and your finger then going back and second guessing yourself.it wont be a gooey mess because your only removing a small amount of caulk from the corner because you applied the right amount.you use a one inch knife because that dap tool is dumb.
DittonWilson likes this.
SwampCat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwampCat For This Useful Post:
DittonWilson (09-04-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 06:41 PM   #15

I was referring to the "move on and dont look back part."
Old 08-31-2018, 06:57 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

It all boils down to an attractive bead of caulk when all is said and done.
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None