Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Behr Solid Stain?

6K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Rbriggs82 
#1 ·
First I want to thank you all for this site. I have been a painter for the last 8 years in VT/NH and am looking forward to contributing and learning from you all.
I do have a question with your experiences with Behr solid stain. I have a customer who wants me to use it on his exterior. He bought some Behr solid for the carpenters who reconfigured a dormer.
I told him I usually use SW Woodscapes or BM Arborcoat with good results but that I would ask the painttalk forum to see if Behr was going to suffice. I'm sure it will work but I am expecting its longevity would be an issue. Any bad experiences with Behr solid stain?

Thanks in advance

Pete

#6 ·
Make sure to leave the card of your local Ben Moore dealer with your customer. Tell them to give them a call when they are fed up with the stain they bought.

Reactions: NACE
#8 · (Edited)
Used it once in spring of 2012 per customers request.
Project was a new cedar horizontal tongue and groove fence.
I first applied Home Depots "All in 1 wash" per product info.
Behr solid stain was medium tone cedar (orange brown color).
Per customer request only 1 side of the fence was stained.
I was just back at this customers house this past week.....the stain looks as good as the day of application.....which shocked me because of finish to 1 side only...both fully exposed to the sun.
I did take precaution per stain literature...as with other solid stain MFR's.....to not over apply the product and create a film.

I have nothing bad to say about the product. I do very little fence staining, have also used Cabot's and monitored that product of similar color used....both still holding up equally well.....with both followed MFR recommendations to a T(As pertaining to surfaces the customer was paying for me to apply product to anyway), from product prep, to moisture content of the wood etc...

#11 · (Edited)
Couple things I've noticed the few times I've used it are an increased propensity to lap during application, and sheen variances in different batches of the same color.

The former I've noticed a couple times. It's not unworkable, and of course any solid stain has the potential to lap, but the Behr solid stain I've used seemed to be extra sensitive to it. Especially in dark colors.

The latter could have been an anomaly as I only saw it once. Stain from gallon cans was much flatter than the same color stain from a five (maybe it was the other way around). I posted about it on here, with pics, but can't remember where.

No data on longevity as I've only used it in the past couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
There are line of Behr paint we wont touch, same with BM, SW, California, (can't say for other paint mfg this is what we can get). It's been a couple of years since we used Behr solid stain and the home isn't around here so I have no idea how it is holding up. A customer who is friends with them says it still looks good, Yes I have asked in the past.

When a homeowner supplies the paint we let them know there will be no warranty as it's not a product we would normally use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.