Benefits of ceiling paint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree49Likes

Old 02-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 44
View radio11's Photo Album My Photos
Default Benefits of ceiling paint

Been helping a long time general contractor friend of mine "catch up" on a few of his jobs. I can use whatever wall and trim paint I want, but has me using cheap, flat wall paint for the ceilings. Not a big deal over the past few weeks, but just asking opinions for fun.

What are your thoughts? Personally, I see little difference, but get ceiling paint for the same price (or less) anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
radio11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18
View irishjim21's Photo Album My Photos

I always use cheap flat white wall paint on ceilings unless they want a higher sheen. Sherwin Williams master hide is great. cheap, goes on good, and touches up great
irishjim21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 764
View goga's Photo Album My Photos

Have never seeing any difference, but maybe price.
goga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #4

View BehrProPaint's Photo Album My Photos

There are minor differences.

With our ceiling paint it is designed to apply better to textured ceilings better than another interior flat paint would. Obviously using Behr Ultra or Marquee is massive overkill on a ceiling so I am talking about the i300 or i100 flat.

Behr ceiling paint (as are most of our competitors ceiling paints) is a cleaner white as well. Ours comes in Ultra Pure White. The whitest white.

When I ran SW stores I actually uses 200 flat for ceilings mostly or Masterhide. The probably with those though is they are such a dirty white out of the can where it becomes an issue for some of the customers getting their ceilings painted.

Eminence for SW is a useless product.
BehrProPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
RH

Rewards Points: 5,694
Thanked 15,407 Times in 8,082 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrProPaint View Post
There are minor differences.

With our ceiling paint it is designed to apply better to textured ceilings better than another interior flat paint would. Obviously using Behr Ultra or Marquee is massive overkill on a ceiling so I am talking about the i300 or i100 flat.

Behr ceiling paint (as are most of our competitors ceiling paints) is a cleaner white as well. Ours comes in Ultra Pure White. The whitest white.

When I ran SW stores I actually uses 200 flat for ceilings mostly or Masterhide. The probably with those though is they are such a dirty white out of the can where it becomes an issue for some of the customers getting their ceilings painted.

Eminence for SW is a useless product.
First of all, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you join us.

Secondly, you went from SW to Behr? Hoo-boy... hope you have a thick skin.

For all the other members - play nice with the new guy.
Tonyg, Gymschu, Rbriggs82 and 2 others like this.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #6

View BehrProPaint's Photo Album My Photos

SW lied to me ... I took over an awful commercial store with an understanding that I would fix it and be the bandaid until one of our new stores opened up that was right around the corner from my house.

Kept putting it off and putting it off to eventually they told me they pulled the plug on that store and were putting it in a few cities over now instead. No way they didnt know that information before hand and strung it along. Now I was stuck in a ****hole city driving 30 miles to work every day and even had to work ALONE at the store for almost two straight months. Behr had called me for a rep position last March and I politely said no. So I called them back and they offered my 10k more than SW on the spot... easy decision... been with Behr now since October last year.

I havent come across to many SW price posts yet but whatever deal you think they give you...dont be fooled.... products are sold from distribution to SW then SW to the store entities. Marked up twice. Did you see the 2017 consumer reports or the Marschall Labs tests?

SW was destroyed. Consumer reports interior paints the first SW product is a product that doesnt even sell in SW its the hgtv they sell at Lowes lol.. Emerald was near the bottom.

They ruined promar 200 two summers ago and just took apart superpaint this past summer. Both products are like water now. Love Cashmere though, always have.

Last edited by BehrProPaint; 02-10-2017 at 04:27 PM..
BehrProPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 66
Thanked 4,706 Times in 3,174 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
SW lied to me ... I took over an awful commercial store with an understanding that I would fix it and be the bandaid until one of our new stores opened up that was right around the corner from my house.

Kept putting it off and putting it off to eventually they told me they pulled the plug on that store and were putting it in a few cities over now instead. No way they didnt know that information before hand and strung it along. Now I was stuck in a ****hole city driving 30 miles to work every day and even had to work ALONE at the store for almost two straight months. Behr had called me for a rep position last March and I politely said no. So I called them back and they offered my 10k more than SW on the spot... easy decision... been with Behr now since October last year.

I havent come across to many SW price posts yet but whatever deal you think they give you...dont be fooled.... products are sold from distribution to SW then SW to the store entities. Marked up twice. Did you see the 2017 consumer reports or the Marschall Labs tests?

SW was destroyed. Consumer reports interior paints the first SW product is a product that doesnt even sell in SW its the hgtv they sell at Lowes lol.. Emerald was near the bottom.

They ruined promar 200 two summers ago and just took apart superpaint this past summer. Both products are like water now. Love Cashmere though, always have.
they lie to everyone, me included. As far as selling Behr? A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. But so far everything he has said comparing Behr to Sw is spot on. But a piece of advice? Even though you didn't ask? Don't believe the Consumer Reports testing. There is a reason why the brands that are always at the top are always at the top. And it doesn't have much to do with the actual quality of the paint.
chrisn and 007 Dave like this.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
007 Dave (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #8

And as far as what SW sells their paint for? They have already covered their costs before it ever reaches the store. Any price they get at the store level is profit to the company. When I worked for them back in the 80's the out the factory door cost on PM200 was under $1.75 a gallon, yet their retail price at the stores was close to $20. So they give the painters a discount and sell it to them for $12-13 a gallon. Big deal. It's still just a $1.75 a gallon paint. Emerald? $70 a gallon retail? I guarantee that stuff doesn't cost $15 a gallon at the factory.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 32
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

Most everyone on here hates SW so BehrProPaint, you're preaching to the choir.
Secondly, most everyone hates Behr Paint even worse than SW.
Walk softly and carry a big stick.
Other than that, welcome aboard!
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Most everyone on here hates SW so BehrProPaint, you're preaching to the choir.
Secondly, most everyone hates Behr Paint even worse than SW.
Walk softly and carry a big stick.
Other than that, welcome aboard!
maybe if he is a true paint salesman he'll understand the trick is to......well just keep a good sense of humor and don't take things personally. That's what has kept me in the paint selling game for 33 years. And remember whatever paint you are selling, to whoever is in your store, it's the best damn paint money can buy. That's what all the marketing says and what a good salesman says. Remember, there where salespeople good enough to sell millions of Chevy Vegas!
Gymschu and radio11 like this.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,524
Thanked 9,578 Times in 5,438 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Why do a lot of professional painters seem to not like BEHR, and what can be done to change their mind?
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,124
Thanked 4,508 Times in 2,485 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
Why do a lot of professional painters seem to not like BEHR, and what can be done to change their mind?
I have to imagine it's because they like to go somewhere that only sells paint which makes them feel better about themselves. Self esteem issues? Not as much scowling at DIYers, carpenters, sparkies?

Anyhoo, the hardware store I get my BM paint from sells all sorts of stuff including hot sauce! Some really good ones too! I can get by my personal delusions or failings if I can get hot sauce. No therapy required.

On top of all this, I can't even begin to tell you the number of times I've run into former customers who were wandering around in there shopping for other stuff and ran into me buying paint. All of a sudden you're talking about upcoming jobs for them.
CApainter and SemiproJohn like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Wildbill7145; 02-10-2017 at 07:02 PM..
Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 32
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post

Anyhoo, the hardware store I get my BM paint from sells all sorts of stuff including hot sauce! Some really good ones too! I can get by my personal delusions or failings if I can get hot sauce. No therapy required.
A hardware store with HOT SAUCE? That's what I call heaven, Wildbill!
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 5,124
Thanked 4,508 Times in 2,485 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
A hardware store with HOT SAUCE? That's what I call heaven, Wildbill!
It is relegated to a shelf at the back of the store in an out of the way spot, but my wife pointed it out to me a while back.

I keep telling the girls in the paint department if they ever start selling groceries, I'll never have to go anywhere else. Other than the beer store of course. Canadians, Canadianing.
Gymschu likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

For me it only took a couple of box store buying experiences to turn me away. As for the quality of the paint itself, I haven't used enough of it to pass judgment.

As for SW, they have some good products. But it gets tiresome playing their pricing game which reminds me of playing the lottery.

Wildbill7145 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
CApainter (02-13-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,138
Thanked 1,033 Times in 462 Posts
View NACE's Photo Album My Photos

Years ago ceiling paint was designed and formulated to have acoustical properties. They were designed specifically to reflect sound back into an area. I still see specifications that require the label to say it has acoustical properties. In this day and age ceiling paints are only supposed to be white and inexpensive. I believe that the only label and technical data sheet that claims to have acoustical properties is the Benjamin Moore 258 ceiling white. Muresco. Now ceiling whites are required to be dead flat to minimize reflection from light sources. Anything that is white and flat is acceptable for ceiling paint. Most ceiling paint our toned gray or some have bluing added to give the appearance of a whiter finish. Most of the less expensive flat whites have poor spread rates and are extremely porous. Personally I like the California diamond ceiling paint and the Benjamin Moore 508. Many of my contractors use the super hide 0VOC ceiling white.
Wildbill7145 and PACman like this.
NACE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NACE For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 44
View radio11's Photo Album My Photos
Default Benefits of ceiling paint

Quote:

I simply don't like the hassle of the box stores. I go there for several things, but not during my daily paint runs.

I can pull up to SW, walk 35 feet to the counter, be greeted by name with my account already pulled up. I can call at any time and have products ready for pick up whenever necessary. I know it's apparently a problem, but never once had a price issue or miscommunication. And honestly, I'm small taters and don't buy thousands of gallons per year. It just works for me. Hell, I would even trade with pac man if he provided similar service (with a similar decent attitude).

Gymschu, Rbriggs82 and slinger58 like this.

Last edited by radio11; 02-10-2017 at 08:18 PM..
radio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radio11 For This Useful Post:
CApainter (02-13-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 362
View 007 Dave's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

I never liked Emerald. Cashmere used to be my favorite paint but it seems to have gone down hill this past couple of years. I kinda like Eminence but way to high of price for ceiling paint. I too made the mistake to follow consumer reports for years but found out by two totally different industries that they are a big joke.

Oh BTW welcome to paint talk.
PACman likes this.
007 Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:42 AM   #19
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I cannot believe you(of all people) have asked this question. How many times has this been brought up here? 5,10,15,50,100 times?? Come on man.

As to the comments by the Behr rep, I will hold my tongue.

For now
Gymschu and PACman like this.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACE View Post
Years ago ceiling paint was designed and formulated to have acoustical properties. They were designed specifically to reflect sound back into an area. I still see specifications that require the label to say it has acoustical properties. In this day and age ceiling paints are only supposed to be white and inexpensive. I believe that the only label and technical data sheet that claims to have acoustical properties is the Benjamin Moore 258 ceiling white. Muresco. Now ceiling whites are required to be dead flat to minimize reflection from light sources. Anything that is white and flat is acceptable for ceiling paint. Most ceiling paint our toned gray or some have bluing added to give the appearance of a whiter finish. Most of the less expensive flat whites have poor spread rates and are extremely porous. Personally I like the California diamond ceiling paint and the Benjamin Moore 508. Many of my contractors use the super hide 0VOC ceiling white.
aren't true ceiling paints typically more spatter resistant then wall paints?

Tags
None