Benefits of ceiling paint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree49Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 563
Rewards Points: 44
Thanks: 255
Thanked 310 Times in 216 Posts
View radio11's Photo Album My Photos
Default Benefits of ceiling paint

Been helping a long time general contractor friend of mine "catch up" on a few of his jobs. I can use whatever wall and trim paint I want, but has me using cheap, flat wall paint for the ceilings. Not a big deal over the past few weeks, but just asking opinions for fun.

What are your thoughts? Personally, I see little difference, but get ceiling paint for the same price (or less) anyway.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
radio11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
View irishjim21's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I always use cheap flat white wall paint on ceilings unless they want a higher sheen. Sherwin Williams master hide is great. cheap, goes on good, and touches up great
irishjim21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:03 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 384
Rewards Points: 764
Thanks: 5
Thanked 66 Times in 56 Posts
View goga's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Have never seeing any difference, but maybe price.
goga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
View BehrProPaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default

There are minor differences.

With our ceiling paint it is designed to apply better to textured ceilings better than another interior flat paint would. Obviously using Behr Ultra or Marquee is massive overkill on a ceiling so I am talking about the i300 or i100 flat.

Behr ceiling paint (as are most of our competitors ceiling paints) is a cleaner white as well. Ours comes in Ultra Pure White. The whitest white.

When I ran SW stores I actually uses 200 flat for ceilings mostly or Masterhide. The probably with those though is they are such a dirty white out of the can where it becomes an issue for some of the customers getting their ceilings painted.

Eminence for SW is a useless product.
BehrProPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 18,633
Rewards Points: 5,694
Thanks: 11,646
Thanked 15,407 Times in 8,082 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrProPaint View Post
There are minor differences.

With our ceiling paint it is designed to apply better to textured ceilings better than another interior flat paint would. Obviously using Behr Ultra or Marquee is massive overkill on a ceiling so I am talking about the i300 or i100 flat.

Behr ceiling paint (as are most of our competitors ceiling paints) is a cleaner white as well. Ours comes in Ultra Pure White. The whitest white.

When I ran SW stores I actually uses 200 flat for ceilings mostly or Masterhide. The probably with those though is they are such a dirty white out of the can where it becomes an issue for some of the customers getting their ceilings painted.

Eminence for SW is a useless product.
First of all, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you join us.

Secondly, you went from SW to Behr? Hoo-boy... hope you have a thick skin.

For all the other members - play nice with the new guy.
Tonyg, Gymschu, Rbriggs82 and 2 others like this.
__________________
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
View BehrProPaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default

SW lied to me ... I took over an awful commercial store with an understanding that I would fix it and be the bandaid until one of our new stores opened up that was right around the corner from my house.

Kept putting it off and putting it off to eventually they told me they pulled the plug on that store and were putting it in a few cities over now instead. No way they didnt know that information before hand and strung it along. Now I was stuck in a ****hole city driving 30 miles to work every day and even had to work ALONE at the store for almost two straight months. Behr had called me for a rep position last March and I politely said no. So I called them back and they offered my 10k more than SW on the spot... easy decision... been with Behr now since October last year.

I havent come across to many SW price posts yet but whatever deal you think they give you...dont be fooled.... products are sold from distribution to SW then SW to the store entities. Marked up twice. Did you see the 2017 consumer reports or the Marschall Labs tests?

SW was destroyed. Consumer reports interior paints the first SW product is a product that doesnt even sell in SW its the hgtv they sell at Lowes lol.. Emerald was near the bottom.

They ruined promar 200 two summers ago and just took apart superpaint this past summer. Both products are like water now. Love Cashmere though, always have.

Last edited by BehrProPaint; 02-10-2017 at 04:27 PM..
BehrProPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 11,292
Rewards Points: 66
Thanks: 2,999
Thanked 4,706 Times in 3,174 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrProPaint View Post
SW lied to me ... I took over an awful commercial store with an understanding that I would fix it and be the bandaid until one of our new stores opened up that was right around the corner from my house.

Kept putting it off and putting it off to eventually they told me they pulled the plug on that store and were putting it in a few cities over now instead. No way they didnt know that information before hand and strung it along. Now I was stuck in a ****hole city driving 30 miles to work every day and even had to work ALONE at the store for almost two straight months. Behr had called me for a rep position last March and I politely said no. So I called them back and they offered my 10k more than SW on the spot... easy decision... been with Behr now since October last year.

I havent come across to many SW price posts yet but whatever deal you think they give you...dont be fooled.... products are sold from distribution to SW then SW to the store entities. Marked up twice. Did you see the 2017 consumer reports or the Marschall Labs tests?

SW was destroyed. Consumer reports interior paints the first SW product is a product that doesnt even sell in SW its the hgtv they sell at Lowes lol.. Emerald was near the bottom.

They ruined promar 200 two summers ago and just took apart superpaint this past summer. Both products are like water now. Love Cashmere though, always have.
they lie to everyone, me included. As far as selling Behr? A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. But so far everything he has said comparing Behr to Sw is spot on. But a piece of advice? Even though you didn't ask? Don't believe the Consumer Reports testing. There is a reason why the brands that are always at the top are always at the top. And it doesn't have much to do with the actual quality of the paint.
chrisn and 007 Dave like this.
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
007 Dave (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 11,292
Rewards Points: 66
Thanks: 2,999
Thanked 4,706 Times in 3,174 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

And as far as what SW sells their paint for? They have already covered their costs before it ever reaches the store. Any price they get at the store level is profit to the company. When I worked for them back in the 80's the out the factory door cost on PM200 was under $1.75 a gallon, yet their retail price at the stores was close to $20. So they give the painters a discount and sell it to them for $12-13 a gallon. Big deal. It's still just a $1.75 a gallon paint. Emerald? $70 a gallon retail? I guarantee that stuff doesn't cost $15 a gallon at the factory.
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eastern Ohio (Appalachia)
Posts: 1,334
Rewards Points: 32
Thanks: 1,631
Thanked 815 Times in 446 Posts
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Most everyone on here hates SW so BehrProPaint, you're preaching to the choir.
Secondly, most everyone hates Behr Paint even worse than SW.
Walk softly and carry a big stick.
Other than that, welcome aboard!
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 11,292
Rewards Points: 66
Thanks: 2,999
Thanked 4,706 Times in 3,174 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Most everyone on here hates SW so BehrProPaint, you're preaching to the choir.
Secondly, most everyone hates Behr Paint even worse than SW.
Walk softly and carry a big stick.
Other than that, welcome aboard!
maybe if he is a true paint salesman he'll understand the trick is to......well just keep a good sense of humor and don't take things personally. That's what has kept me in the paint selling game for 33 years. And remember whatever paint you are selling, to whoever is in your store, it's the best damn paint money can buy. That's what all the marketing says and what a good salesman says. Remember, there where salespeople good enough to sell millions of Chevy Vegas!
Gymschu and radio11 like this.
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
CApainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,192
Rewards Points: 1,524
Thanks: 11,178
Thanked 9,578 Times in 5,438 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Why do a lot of professional painters seem to not like BEHR, and what can be done to change their mind?
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #12
Moderator
 
Wildbill7145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,924
Rewards Points: 5,124
Thanks: 3,916
Thanked 4,508 Times in 2,485 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
Why do a lot of professional painters seem to not like BEHR, and what can be done to change their mind?
I have to imagine it's because they like to go somewhere that only sells paint which makes them feel better about themselves. Self esteem issues? Not as much scowling at DIYers, carpenters, sparkies?

Anyhoo, the hardware store I get my BM paint from sells all sorts of stuff including hot sauce! Some really good ones too! I can get by my personal delusions or failings if I can get hot sauce. No therapy required.

On top of all this, I can't even begin to tell you the number of times I've run into former customers who were wandering around in there shopping for other stuff and ran into me buying paint. All of a sudden you're talking about upcoming jobs for them.
CApainter and SemiproJohn like this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Last edited by Wildbill7145; 02-10-2017 at 07:02 PM..
Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eastern Ohio (Appalachia)
Posts: 1,334
Rewards Points: 32
Thanks: 1,631
Thanked 815 Times in 446 Posts
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post

Anyhoo, the hardware store I get my BM paint from sells all sorts of stuff including hot sauce! Some really good ones too! I can get by my personal delusions or failings if I can get hot sauce. No therapy required.
A hardware store with HOT SAUCE? That's what I call heaven, Wildbill!
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #14
Moderator
 
Wildbill7145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,924
Rewards Points: 5,124
Thanks: 3,916
Thanked 4,508 Times in 2,485 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
A hardware store with HOT SAUCE? That's what I call heaven, Wildbill!
It is relegated to a shelf at the back of the store in an out of the way spot, but my wife pointed it out to me a while back.

I keep telling the girls in the paint department if they ever start selling groceries, I'll never have to go anywhere else. Other than the beer store of course. Canadians, Canadianing.
Gymschu likes this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central MS
Posts: 5,720
Rewards Points: 82
Thanks: 9,837
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
Why do a lot of professional painters seem to not like BEHR, and what can be done to change their mind?


For me it only took a couple of box store buying experiences to turn me away. As for the quality of the paint itself, I haven't used enough of it to pass judgment.

As for SW, they have some good products. But it gets tiresome playing their pricing game which reminds me of playing the lottery.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wildbill7145 likes this.
__________________
Hanging on by a thread,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
slinger58 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
CApainter (02-13-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
NACE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 1,125
Rewards Points: 1,138
Thanks: 382
Thanked 1,033 Times in 462 Posts
View NACE's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Years ago ceiling paint was designed and formulated to have acoustical properties. They were designed specifically to reflect sound back into an area. I still see specifications that require the label to say it has acoustical properties. In this day and age ceiling paints are only supposed to be white and inexpensive. I believe that the only label and technical data sheet that claims to have acoustical properties is the Benjamin Moore 258 ceiling white. Muresco. Now ceiling whites are required to be dead flat to minimize reflection from light sources. Anything that is white and flat is acceptable for ceiling paint. Most ceiling paint our toned gray or some have bluing added to give the appearance of a whiter finish. Most of the less expensive flat whites have poor spread rates and are extremely porous. Personally I like the California diamond ceiling paint and the Benjamin Moore 508. Many of my contractors use the super hide 0VOC ceiling white.
Wildbill7145 and PACman like this.
NACE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NACE For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:14 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 563
Rewards Points: 44
Thanks: 255
Thanked 310 Times in 216 Posts
View radio11's Photo Album My Photos
Default Benefits of ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
Why do a lot of professional painters seem to not like BEHR, and what can be done to change their mind?


I simply don't like the hassle of the box stores. I go there for several things, but not during my daily paint runs.

I can pull up to SW, walk 35 feet to the counter, be greeted by name with my account already pulled up. I can call at any time and have products ready for pick up whenever necessary. I know it's apparently a problem, but never once had a price issue or miscommunication. And honestly, I'm small taters and don't buy thousands of gallons per year. It just works for me. Hell, I would even trade with pac man if he provided similar service (with a similar decent attitude).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gymschu, Rbriggs82 and slinger58 like this.

Last edited by radio11; 02-10-2017 at 08:18 PM..
radio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radio11 For This Useful Post:
CApainter (02-13-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 365
Rewards Points: 362
Thanks: 272
Thanked 114 Times in 79 Posts
View 007 Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrProPaint View Post
SW lied to me ... I took over an awful commercial store with an understanding that I would fix it and be the bandaid until one of our new stores opened up that was right around the corner from my house.

Kept putting it off and putting it off to eventually they told me they pulled the plug on that store and were putting it in a few cities over now instead. No way they didnt know that information before hand and strung it along. Now I was stuck in a ****hole city driving 30 miles to work every day and even had to work ALONE at the store for almost two straight months. Behr had called me for a rep position last March and I politely said no. So I called them back and they offered my 10k more than SW on the spot... easy decision... been with Behr now since October last year.

I havent come across to many SW price posts yet but whatever deal you think they give you...dont be fooled.... products are sold from distribution to SW then SW to the store entities. Marked up twice. Did you see the 2017 consumer reports or the Marschall Labs tests?

SW was destroyed. Consumer reports interior paints the first SW product is a product that doesnt even sell in SW its the hgtv they sell at Lowes lol.. Emerald was near the bottom.

They ruined promar 200 two summers ago and just took apart superpaint this past summer. Both products are like water now. Love Cashmere though, always have.
I never liked Emerald. Cashmere used to be my favorite paint but it seems to have gone down hill this past couple of years. I kinda like Eminence but way to high of price for ceiling paint. I too made the mistake to follow consumer reports for years but found out by two totally different industries that they are a big joke.

Oh BTW welcome to paint talk.
PACman likes this.
007 Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:42 AM   #19
very senior member
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hagerstown md
Posts: 9,846
Thanks: 3,620
Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
Why do a lot of professional painters seem to not like BEHR, and what can be done to change their mind?
I cannot believe you(of all people) have asked this question. How many times has this been brought up here? 5,10,15,50,100 times?? Come on man.

As to the comments by the Behr rep, I will hold my tongue.







For now
Gymschu and PACman like this.
__________________
It's PASTE, not glue
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 11,292
Rewards Points: 66
Thanks: 2,999
Thanked 4,706 Times in 3,174 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACE View Post
Years ago ceiling paint was designed and formulated to have acoustical properties. They were designed specifically to reflect sound back into an area. I still see specifications that require the label to say it has acoustical properties. In this day and age ceiling paints are only supposed to be white and inexpensive. I believe that the only label and technical data sheet that claims to have acoustical properties is the Benjamin Moore 258 ceiling white. Muresco. Now ceiling whites are required to be dead flat to minimize reflection from light sources. Anything that is white and flat is acceptable for ceiling paint. Most ceiling paint our toned gray or some have bluing added to give the appearance of a whiter finish. Most of the less expensive flat whites have poor spread rates and are extremely porous. Personally I like the California diamond ceiling paint and the Benjamin Moore 508. Many of my contractors use the super hide 0VOC ceiling white.
aren't true ceiling paints typically more spatter resistant then wall paints?
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro Mar ceiling paint lilpaintchic General Painting Discussion 44 02-02-2017 11:11 PM
peeling bathroom ceiling. bluegrassdan General Painting Discussion 12 06-12-2016 09:36 PM
Painting Ceiling Inside Pool Jazz_Painter General Painting Discussion 48 04-04-2016 12:09 AM
The Best House Painting Tools to Use for Your Home Makeover davidnicoll69 Tools, Supplies and Equipment 2 01-15-2016 10:38 AM
Zinsser Ceiling Paint ElTacoPaco General Painting Discussion 42 01-12-2016 04:24 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com