Benjamin Moore advance ??? Crap or not? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By cocomonkeynuts
  • 1 Post By finishesbykevyn

Old 12-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 48
View Holdenholden's Photo Album My Photos
Default Benjamin Moore advance ??? Crap or not?

I used this semi gloss advance today on existing baseboards. Baseboards were painted with latex previously. The advance wanted to sag. Only 2.5 base. Usually I do put a generous coat on so it smoothies out nice. But this stuff wanted to run off. Idk if its the product or the surface. I had to put a few thin thin coats on amd brush it out lots to solve the problem. Just seemed like twice the work if I were to use a regular latex or acrylic paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holdenholden is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2018, 10:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,510
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

If your putting it on thick enough that its running its not going to cure properly either. Treat it like any other oil paint. Thin coats <4mils. Get product on the surface quickly and lay it out. Advance may be a little learning curve to get the technique down but it produces a finish that most (all?) current latex paints cannot replicate.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 318
View Local paint pro's Photo Album My Photos

what he said!
Local paint pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 32
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos

I'm a recent convert from ProClassic to Advance. I love the stuff, especially the hardness of the finish. I will still use PC, but, due to all the info on here about Advance, it wouldn't take much for me to switch out completely.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 48
View Holdenholden's Photo Album My Photos

Ya I can see using to on a new surface or near perfect re paint surface. It this was reused baseboards. With old nails holes and caulking not scraped off of properly.

Holdenholden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 22
View marinerito's Photo Album My Photos

for advance check the room temperature and sometimes we use Japan dryer add
marinerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 253
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdenholden View Post
I used this semi gloss advance today on existing baseboards. Baseboards were painted with latex previously. The advance wanted to sag. Only 2.5” base. Usually I do put a generous coat on so it smoothies out nice. But this stuff wanted to run off. Idk if it’s the product or the surface. I had to put a few thin thin coats on amd brush it out lots to solve the problem. Just seemed like twice the work if I were to use a regular latex or acrylic paint.

Ive never had an issue with Advance. You can NOT put it on too thick though. Of course it will run. Its a slow drying self leveling paint. Basically an oil paint.
After that, its probably one of the toughest waterborne paints on the market, so definitely not crap.
Gymschu likes this.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 98
View The Montana Painter's Photo Album My Photos

For me advance is a finicky product. I have had some flash issues when going over previously painted surfaces. Never had that problem with pro classic semi. ( 2hr vs 18hr dry also) I use both depending on the job. Has anyone used p&l aquanamel ? Miss the old satin improve!!
The Montana Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Montana Painter View Post
For me advance is a finicky product. I have had some flash issues when going over previously painted surfaces. Never had that problem with pro classic semi. ( 2hr vs 18hr dry also) I use both depending on the job. Has anyone used p&l aquanamel ? Miss the old satin improve!!

Impervo rocks. The other store in bozeman stocks satin impervo. The hardware store in manhattan actually has a few of the old pre-'red' can satin impervo on their shelves haha that stuff must be ancient.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 12-21-2018 at 02:26 AM..
Old 12-21-2018, 02:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Montana Painter View Post

I picked up a mistinted semigloss pastel base. it was very similar to emerald urethane that I tried, its probably just a relabeled formula.

I also had a sample of C2 cabinet&trim in a deep base. I brushed out some MDF almost 2 months ago and that board still has quite an solvent-odor to it and the film is quite soft like it didn't fully cure. I do not recommend that at all.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 12-21-2018 at 02:29 AM..

Tags
None