Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Best filler for nail holes

15K views 47 replies 27 participants last post by  daArch 
#1 ·
What is everyone's preference on the best filler is for nail holes? I know people use caulk, mh, and wood filler. Wanted to see other peoples responses.

#31 ·
I just tried the 3m spackle/primer stuff for the first time last week. It was on close out at lowes, so I got some.

It looked and felt like lightweight, with all the drawbacks that come with that. It's also hard to sand.

On the plus side, it dries fast and didn't flash (at least with my limited tests). Overall it was a fail, no wonder its on close out. I'll stick with Crackshot.

#34 ·
When the customers budget calls for accommodations, I.e.they don't have the budget for wood replacement and they just want an asthetic fix a.k.a. band-aid. Sometimes there has been instances of wood damage, termite damage (post remediation), or other wood failures.

I have used Durhams Rock Hard to fill those areas, with good success.

#41 ·
I have seen Durhams fail many times over the years. Mostly when it's used for filling areas where the rot or damaged area was too big for a just a filler. Sometimes the harder the product the more brittle it can be. (I know oxymoron, but its true) A little vinyl added to Durhams ingredients would make it an outstanding product.

#46 ·
Just used the dap pink stuff today. Sands really nice. Dries fast too. It's harder to find for sanding tho as it's white. The Elmer's adds a little color which is helpful.
I've added colorants to spackle but it's hard to add a small enough amount.

Sent from my blah blah blah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.