Bleaching Oil Mold Return - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
KEEGAN WORKS LLC

Rewards Points: 97
View KEEGS's Photo Album My Photos
Default Bleaching Oil Mold Return

Short and sweet-After a thorough cleaning/bleaching of our beach house project we re-applied a light coat of Cabot’s Bleaching oil to the cedar shakes that had been previously treated with the same product approximately 7 years prior. Mold re-appeared within 6 months and has continued to do so even after subsequent light bleach washes. Anyone with any experience or information please feel free to drop your thoughts here... also-a suggestion was made to wash and re-coat with bleaching oil treated with mildicide additives? I’m thinking more along the lines of suggesting some solid acrylic stain at this point. Graciás. #HateBleachingOil
KEEGS is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Bleach only removes the mildew/mold stain, it doesn't kill the roots of the mildew/mold. Find a product that specifically says that it will kill mildew and prevent it from coming back. That's where you need to start. Also any oil based or alkyd product is essentially a mildew buffet, so stop feeding the mildew that you haven't actually killed yet.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
futtyos (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 197
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Although Bleach doesn't kill mold, I use bleach in my house wash mix. I've never had an issue with mold or it reappearing before, but if there was a heavy amount of mold I could use a stronger concentration of bleach in that spot or use a product such as Concrobium to kill the mold before I wash the house.

I'd also guess that it's much harder to kill/remove mold from rough cedar shakes compared to a more typical painted surface.

I've also heard that some Alkyd stains contain ingredients that can become food for mold. A long time ago a painting contractor mentioned an issue they had with a mold bloom and Penofin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Microban
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,982
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Vinegar supposedly gets deep within the pores to kill the mold at its roots, while bleach only kills the surface mold. This has been debated to death, though. Spray vinegar on, and leave it for an hour, then wash.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 138
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

This: http://www.concrobium.com/products/mold-control-spray/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Delta Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None