Bm grand entrance on fiberglass door - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree11Likes

Old 03-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 89
View jr.sr. painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Bm grand entrance on fiberglass door

So during my time off I decided to install a new fiberglass front door. Can I apply grand entrance directly over the new fiberglass? Itís already pre primed white (however it comes from the factory). Or perhaps a different product if you all would recommend that. I was hoping to not need to Prime it. The color will be blue Danube 2062-30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jr.sr. painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,022
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr.sr. painting View Post
So during my time off I decided to install a new fiberglass front door. Can I apply grand entrance directly over the new fiberglass? Itís already pre primed white (however it comes from the factory). Or perhaps a different product if you all would recommend that. I was hoping to not need to Prime it. The color will be blue Danube 2062-30.

I never trust those factory primer coats. Insl-x 'Sitix primer' would be a good choice.
finishesbykevyn and vwbowman like this.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,744
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I would put it directly on myself. Of course, since its your own house, and you have plenty of time, and likely have primer laying around, why not?
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #4

I was going to take the door off and spray it in my basement and then have it back up the same day. Would it be dry enough to handle with approximately 8 hours start to finish. I have a Storm door but would prefer the security of the main door being back on over night. Does the product setup fast enough?

Old 03-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #5

Forget the grand entrance at 58.99 a quart. What a joke. Yes you are reading that correct. Just went with regal select soft gloss.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,132
View Joe67's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Just went with regal select soft gloss.

It's always been my fave for exterior paint - the softgloss (MoorGlo) on things like like doors & windows, but the low lustre (MoorGard) on siding and other trim and the like. You shouldn't have any trouble with it.
Joe67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,872
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default Grand Entrance experience

Quote:
Forget the grand entrance at 58.99 a quart. What a joke. Yes you are reading that correct. Just went with regal select soft gloss.

I was going to tell of my experience painting my neighbor's front door with Grand Entrance, but since you switched to another paint I will wait for another post to chime in.

futtyos
futtyos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:31 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,132
View Joe67's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by futtyos View Post
I was going to tell of my experience painting my neighbor's front door with Grand Entrance, but since you switched to another paint I will wait for another post to chime in.

futtyos

I have never used the GE and would kind of like to know of your experience (since it sounds like it might have been less than optimal).
Joe67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:57 AM   #9

Iím going crazy at home. Iím about to go outside in a driving rain and wash my shutters with dirtex and a hose and then bring them into my basement to dry and spray them. Good thing I was able to grab 3 new cabinets and put them in my basement so I can also spray them. Just a small job that weíre installing a work area/computer work station. I donít know how my wife is going to take the smell of the paint but whatever.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:23 PM   #10

Default Grand Entrance on front door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe67 View Post
I have never used the GE and would kind of like to know of your experience (since it sounds like it might have been less than optimal).
Over a year ago, my neighbor said that he wanted to paint his front door gloss black. He had narrowed down his choice of paint to FPE Hollandlaq. I asked if I could help him so I could gain experience using that paint.

Fast forward to late last summer. By chance I ran into him and asked if he was soon to paint his door. He said that he was just starting to prep it. He decided on BM Grand Entrance after the clerk at the paint store steered him away from that to the BM GE. Earlier that day I had been in the store watching as a customer was purchasing the FPE Hollandlaq. The clerk opened up the quart to let the customer smell it. I asked to take a wiff of it, too and almost passed out!

I brought him some tools and showed him how I do prepping. He did some prepping and I stopped by just as he had finished cutting in the sticking on the door

https://www.houzz.in/magazine/a-comp...w-vs~104805077

Based on how he did this, I asked him to let me paint the rest of the door and he agreed. Since he lives on the next block and I only had to spend a short while between each coats (wait 24 hours between coats) I was able to get there in less than a minute.

I used 3 different types of mini rollers to paint the flat panels and an artists brush to paint the sticking. When brushing out the sticking (before rolling the flat panels) I would wipe off any paint I got onto the flat panels and wipe them on my painter's shirt. I painted the sticking next to the windows by getting a liberal amount on the windows. I told my neighbor to use a razor blade to clean the paint off after a couple days drying. I applied this paint very thinly as it seemed to have a consistency very similar to Advance. I also rolled it on as thinly as possible while still trying to get full coverage as I did not want any drips. In the end there were a few drips I did not catch, but the wife said she did not mind as she liked a bit of imperfection anyhow.

When I rolled this paint I was able to start at the top going at an even pace all the way down to the bottom.....after which I was able to go back to the top and back roll all the way back down to the bottom without the paint tacking up from drying too quickly. This was late summer with the door facing west and the weather very humid. Luckily the storm door was able to contain the A/C environment to prevent the paint from setting up too fast.

They were very pleased with the finished product:

Bm grand entrance on fiberglass door-p1340731.jpg

Bm grand entrance on fiberglass door-p1340733.jpg

Bm grand entrance on fiberglass door-p1340734.jpg

My neighbors were very pleased with how the door turned out and so was I. I don't know how well it will stand up to abrasion and normal wear and tear.

This door was the original wooden door that came with the house, not a fiberglass door, so I cannot speak to how I would going about applying GE to a fiberglass door.

I did another door earlier last year in Moorglo and much prefer using that.

futtyos
cocomonkeynuts and vwbowman like this.

Last edited by futtyos; 03-23-2020 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: left something out
The Following User Says Thank You to futtyos For This Useful Post:
Joe67 (03-23-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 06:57 AM   #11
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 2
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

I've had both good and bad experiences with Grand Entrance. When used in a controlled environment (inside) or when the weather is condusive it is a fantastic product. Almost like an automotive paint. I sprayed directly onto a pair of steel factory primed doors (in my shop)with amazing results. However, I also hand painted a fibreglass door (outside) with conflicting weather patterns, I noticed a couple years later that it was kind of spider webbing. Was too afraid to actually investigate, but the clients never said anything..
Apparently the Advance Highgloss is rated exterior and is basically the same paint as GE. for a 1/3 of the price.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:28 AM   #12

I might add that I applied 3 coats of paint on this door and had over half of the quart left.

futtyos
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:53 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 5,744
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

It seems like GE would only be worth it if you were spraying it on a perfectly smooth metal door. If its like car paint, the surface should be as smooth as a cars, right? Hell, you might be able to find real single stage car paint for that price, or cheaper.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #14

I ended up priming the new door with some dark blue tinted 046 and did the first topcoat today using rs high build soft gloss. Looks great and I also used the same product for my shutters. I washed them in the rain yesterday and then just sprayed them in my basement. Iím glad I went with a product Iím used to.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:53 AM   #15
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 2
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I ended up priming the new door with some dark blue tinted 046 and did the first topcoat today using rs high build soft gloss. Looks great and I also used the same product for my shutters. I washed them in the rain yesterday and then just sprayed them in my basement. I’m glad I went with a product I’m used to.

Won't be quite as durable as the GE but hey, it will give you another project down the road. Was just thinking, for a quick dry primer, I think the SS dtm is 1 hour recoat. Also Aura Ext. is like 1-2 hr recoat also. Waiting for that new Command to come out. That may work well for front doors..

Last edited by finishesbykevyn; 03-25-2020 at 06:57 AM..
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 134
View vwbowman's Photo Album My Photos
Default Does your BM Rep know?

Quote:

Whenever I have a painter that is interested in a product that they have not used previously, I will do my best to provide a sample at no charge. This was a perfect opportunity for your Benjamin Moore retail and they missed it! The urethane component of GE really increases the durability. The Regal Select will perform very well, the area that will show signs of wear first will be right around the doorknob.
vwbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 134
View vwbowman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
I've had both good and bad experiences with Grand Entrance. When used in a controlled environment (inside) or when the weather is condusive it is a fantastic product. Almost like an automotive paint. I sprayed directly onto a pair of steel factory primed doors (in my shop)with amazing results. However, I also hand painted a fibreglass door (outside) with conflicting weather patterns, I noticed a couple years later that it was kind of spider webbing. Was too afraid to actually investigate, but the clients never said anything..
Apparently the Advance Highgloss is rated exterior and is basically the same paint as GE. for a 1/3 of the price.
The Grand Entrance has a urethane component that Advance does not offer, although you are correct that the High Gloss is rated for exterior use.
vwbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 38
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbowman View Post
The Grand Entrance has a urethane component that Advance does not offer, although you are correct that the High Gloss is rated for exterior use.

I often wonder why BM hasn't rebranded the floor & patio high gloss as a less expensive door finish.
finishesbykevyn and futtyos like this.
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #19

Default Switching paint for different use

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
I often wonder why BM hasn't rebranded the floor & patio high gloss as a less expensive door finish.
I have a friend who uses a porch and deck paint for exterior windows. He says it works great.

futtyos
cocomonkeynuts likes this.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:51 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 38
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by futtyos View Post
I have a friend who uses a porch and deck paint for exterior windows. He says it works great.

futtyos

windows I would like to see them sealed with benite, primed then painted ideally with something more flexible regal or aura ext. Just painting them with an int/ext enamel is asking for trouble.
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None