Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Bubbles on interior walls: what to do?

46K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Z paint 
#1 ·
I just had a previous customer phone today to inform me that - fortunately only in two spots - the paint appeared to form a small bubble. They are on interior walls and I top-coated with two coats of eggshell latex. Any idea what might cause this and what I might do to fix this? I might have forgotten to prime a couple of holes that I would have patched, but other than this I'm stumped!

#2 ·
I have seen this happen on areas that are skimmed with mud, and if the mud isnt thoroughly cured and/or you put paint over it instead of priming, the patch may decline adhesion. Its a tricky fix, as there is air in the bubbles and when you break them and peel them back you can remove alot of paint.

#11 ·
You enconter this problem when their is 'weak' adhesion of the bottom most layer of paint to wall. This happens alot now adays with blueboard/veneer plaster being back in vogue again. I keep trying to tell guys that the stuff is an absolute disaster to paint. For one thing - it's very dusty, and requires to be at least washed - which few guys do. Then it is very alkaline - so an oil primer is out of the question unless you wait 3 months. And thirdly unless you had a top rate plaster that really 'trowelled up' his work, you may get some jobs that are very porous and chalky. I've seen whole areas of which the plasterer filled in the 'cat-eyes' with wet-trowelling procedure - and watched those areas pop right back out, when the primer was applied. Sometimes the first and second finish seem ok - but then you go back and apply a quality 100% acrylic coat, that really stresses the older paint - poof, the old adhesion breaks - you get a bubble - and you now you are all done. I put this stuff in writing that I am not responsible and fixing it is extra.

#13 ·
What I have seen, is fast setting plasters that were not mixed well enough and applied too quickly, will out-gas, they call it.

If IT has craters or whatever, from that, you must let it dry before a fix.

Leave the oil based primer in the shop!

If you got a blister in the topcoat, it might likely go away by itself, if you make excuses and lag a few days before going over to inspect the problem.

If it won't subside by itself, shave it off with a blade, spackle to fill the new discrepancy and spot prime w/ feather after dry. Repaint the wall to a block line or HVLP if behind furniture or NOT right in front of view.

Cause is probably from trying to go too fast.
Just can't rush everything!
Painting used to be fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.